Sign in to follow this  
Necton Canary

Olsson and Redmond

Interesting to note that both Redmond and Olsson are in the team of the week. Olsson in particular has performed superbly since he moved to Swansea, under a new manager who seems to be getting the best out of him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39174667

Neither wanted to be here. You cannot give 100% in that frame of mind, even when you think you are doing your best.

In fact that sums up the problem with most of the squad.

I thought we were going to be better off without Redmond?

I wonder if Redmond ever found his "end product" that various posters said he didn''t have?

Two very good players. Watch the DVD of us winning at Wembley to see just how good they were.

Both players played well here under Alex Neil, and both performed well when we were in the Premiership, so not really sure the point you are making?

Redmond improved under Neil but I think Southampton are reaping the benefits of sticking with him. Under Neil he was too often dropped after one off colour game.

Its far easier to look good when you''re playing with decent players. Redmond, Olsen and Brady are all playing in decent teams now. Redmond and Olsen would have looked much better last season when we were in the premiership if they had had better players around them and as pointed out if Redmond had been given a decent run in the first team by AN. Also played Brady out of position most times. Bad management/coaching. Simple as that. On a related matter Maddison looked the best player in the Aberdeen side through to Xmas and was given a good run in the team by McInnes. Not saying Scottish Premier is akin to Championship in England but the lad (who is clearly a talent) can''t even get on the bench for us?

[quote user="Aberdeen_Canary"]Its far easier to look good when you''re playing with decent players. [/quote]

That doesn''t explain RVW.

Hasn''t Maddison been injured in recent weeks, and returned to playing in the U23''s game last week?

Was he not in and out of the Aberdeen side in the latter stages after his initial impact wore off? Or was that down to injury or something?

Think he played 13 games including league cup and four as sub between Sept and Dec. Best player in the League Cup final v Celtic even though Aberdeen lost 3-0. Don''t think he injured his back until he came back to Norwich?

Mute point anyway as can''t see AN picking him tomorrow night.

I think you can make the same comparisons with Jonny Howson. He is playing nothing like his true potential and only shows glimpses of his attacking abilities which include a very decent shot. Neill is clearly to blame playing him in a withdrawn defensive role. Jonny seems content to tick over here and I am surprised that he does not push to join a manager/coach who will move him on. In my opinion no player has improved here under Neill, which you would probably expect bearing in mind his own football background.

It''s an indictment of the manager if he can''t get the best out of his players, basic requirement of management.

TBF to Howson, he''s had quite a few seasons in the Prem with us now and has always struck me as a naturally loyal bloke who was reluctant to move on from Leeds.  And realistically if he did move, it would be to a club that would be at risk of relegation.

Olsson has always looked a class player to me and I wouldn''t be surprised to see him do very well at a team where he has good defensive coaching.

As for Redmond, we all know he has plenty of ability as an attacker.  At City he was always inconsistent and never really developed the way we hoped.  Again it''s not really a surprise that he''s doing well in another setting, although I don''t think he''s the finished product yet.