Sign in to follow this  
Captain Birdseye

For the Neil outers

Would you accept him staying if we changed the director of football and the coaching staff?

As an example Nigel Worthington as Director of Football, Culverhouse as head coach?

Firstly I was not aware we had a director of football and secondly if Neil stays he will want to keep his own coaching staff. I would certainly not go for Nigel Worthington in any capacity as we have already given him a big pay off for failing.

No. He is an awful, awful manager and needs to go before he ruins our club any further. Any manager who need a director of football to help them is not qualified in the first place.

I dont see Stam or Monk needing a director of football telling them how to do their job this season?

many comparisons are being drawn with the 2005/06 season ,after we were relegated from the premier league under Worthington.

Please lets not replicate 2006/07 , when we kept Worthington on for a season too far when he should have been relieved of his duties after failing to get us straight back up the first time of asking.

.......we all know how the story went for the few years that followed afterwards.

Agreed, Neil hasn''t worked out we''re not Man City or Barcelona yet, maintains this awful tika taka type of football and keeps on with tactics that don''t suit this team. We should have had a team primed for the Championship last summer and have failed abysmally. For him to come and say "Hindsight is a wonderful thing" is a joke, surely an experienced head would have known we would have been required to source players ready for the thick of it. He just hasn''t learned fast enough. Was Alan Irvine asleep the entire time?!

What a great idea as he is such a great young manager who constantly learns from his mistakes, makes game changing substitutions and always accepts his share of the blame 😂😂😂

Or simply put ABSOLUTELY NOT!

yet man city and chelsea have a DoF despite having Guardiola and Conte cos they need their hands holding? Les Reed also holds that role for Soton and deliver well and Spurs direction has also been positive in recent seasons.

I do think Hodgson would be perfect for that role for us; someone to take the footballing side in the right direction for footballing strategy and style, while the manager focuses on the playing staff, the DoF would minimise the impact of a manager change as the style is set longer term. I may also help bring some stability to the merry go round that is our recruitment strategy.

Its not a role for every club or manager, and there have been failures (due to manager mentality, scope and poor implementation) in England and I always had the impression (probably erroneously) that McNally was anti it as it would remove his influence (and enjoyment in that role) on that side of the club.

It seems that Ricky Martin may hold a pseudo version of that role now as his brief has slowly continued to expand - whether that is a good thing is another matter altogether.

In answer to the OP; I like the approach, but holds no sway on whether AN stays or not.

[quote user="ZLF"]yet man city and chelsea have a DoF despite having Guardiola and Conte cos they need their hands holding? Les Reed also holds that role for Soton and deliver well and Spurs direction has also been positive in recent seasons.

I do think Hodgson would be perfect for that role for us; someone to take the footballing side in the right direction for footballing strategy and style, while the manager focuses on the playing staff, the DoF would minimise the impact of a manager change as the style is set longer term. I may also help bring some stability to the merry go round that is our recruitment strategy.

Its not a role for every club or manager, and there have been failures (due to manager mentality, scope and poor implementation) in England and I always had the impression (probably erroneously) that McNally was anti it as it would remove his influence (and enjoyment in that role) on that side of the club.

It seems that Ricky Martin may hold a pseudo version of that role now as his brief has slowly continued to expand - whether that is a good thing is another matter altogether.

In answer to the OP; I like the approach, but holds no sway on whether AN stays or not.[/quote]

That name makes my blood boil, Ricky Martin - no wonder the club is dropping faster than flight MH370.

He has the qualifications to be at Non League not Premiership--F*c*ing Joke

Jim Smith

No. He is an awful, awful manager and needs to go before he ruins our club any further. Any manager who need a director of football to help them is not qualified in the first place.

That is not what a director of football is for, a D-O-F would be the link between the manager and the board, he would sit in on board meetings, give/ receive feedback to the board on all footballing matters, from performance of the manager to transfer targets,/ negotiations (in conjunction with the manager to agreed budgets etc) and renewing / termination of contracts, therefor freeing the manager up to concentrate on team matters.

No.

However, the Culverhouse link is an interesting one. Wasnt he the ''brains'' of the Lambert/Culverhouse/Karsa team? The one that focused on tactics etc?

If so, I certainly think he would have helped improve us with Neil as the ''main guy'', like Lambert was...

In answer to the op, No.

A manager will mostly resist such overtures (Harry Redknapp case in point), appoint the director first then appoint the manager into the structure, would be my preference.