Sign in to follow this  
Commando Canary

Our Captain Russell Martin

Martin has been a good servant. But his time should be up. Not a captain.

But agree with a previous point. At times this season and last Bassong & a Martin have been booed and jeered etc. Would love to know what Klose & Bennett have done to avoid that same treatment.

Some fans view is that both Martin and Bassong have been treated far more favourably by AN than Klose and Bennett. Recently I have to say Klose looks like he has given up , but I suspect thats because he sees so much deadwood around him given preferential treatment.

An example was this transfer window where rather than get in another central defender we waste 7m on a player who is being outperformed by both the Murphy lads.

We all know AN has his favourites who play as long as they are fit, I suspect that breeds resentment in the team and the barely disguised anger from CJ in his interview.

I really do not know how pathetically some of our team have to play before the hopelessly deluded band of happy clappers are prepared to concede on the issue.

Russell Martin stands out as the biggest disaster area for a number of reasons. Firstly, he is not a central defender, never has been and never will be. Also, given his playing shortcomings, he is hopelessly ill-equipped for the role of captain, his is not an example you want your team to follow.

Those who are able to turn a blind eye to all his failings deflect attention from him by immediately attacking those who criticise. This thread is a perfect example of this behaviour. When the subject appeared, it was the credentials of the OP that immediately became the subject matter, not Captain Calamity. Another response from the Clappers is the accusation that his critics only surface after a poor performance. The fact is, his ability, in the central defender role is simply not good enough - ever. Yes, there will be the odd game when he will "get away with it," baled out by another defender or by his keeper (first 15 mins. v. Newcastle) or poor finishing by the opposition but don''t suggest that we have to wait for an opportune moment to raise the subject. It''s just that after playing such a part in all three of Sheffield Wednesday''s first half goals, I thought even the happiest Clapper might have noted the inherent weakness in his play.

IMO the most important decision a manager has to make is deciding who should be his captain. This player should lead by example, and be the inspiration to the rest of the team. I am not sure how many of the top ten sides have a centre back as captain, but Newcastle and Brighton certainly do, and they both look like inspirational leaders on the pitch. I would move Dijks to centre back and give him the armband, he has certainly inspired me since his arrival. I also thought Howson did a good job earlier in the season, but as soon as Martin recovered from his injury he got the armband back.

How has this guy survived the chop again... why is everything revolving around him, this love for Martin has to stop. I know Klose has made some mistakes, but not in the same league as Martin, the team doesn''t stand a chance to evolve when the Captain can''t do his own job effectively, let alone captain his team mates. Another bout of favouritism from a club that is going south withits unjust loyalties.