Sign in to follow this  
Commando Canary

Our Captain Russell Martin

As we walked away from Wembley what now seems a life time ago we (as our group) discussed two acquisitions which the club must make for our survival in the Premier League, a center back and a striker, as we well know this didn''t happen and it has damaged our club beyond current repair.A lot of criticism is aimed at Alex Neil, and justifiably so, (he has to go) Neil is the one after all that picks the team and tactics, I agree with the posters who blame the board, Delia and Co. are the ones that employ Neil and talk about gifting their shares to nephew Tom, again the board are suffocating the club for their own idealistic means and justification, as long as they are at the helm we will never have the opportunity to progress. However, this post is about our Captain, I posted prior to our season in the Premier League that having Russell Martin in the starting 11 will relegate us, this came under much criticism at the time and divided opinion throughout. However, as the season in the Premier League progressed the Russell Martin favouritism dwindled and it was widely accepted that he wasn''t up to the role as defender, let alone our Captain. So we were relegated, and we entered the Championship with arguably one of the strongest squads in the division, our loyal Russell Martin following were once again happy that he could do a job for us in the second tier, whether it be at full back or center of defence. This isn''t a scapegoat thread, but why oh why is this man in the starting 11? As stated already, it is Neil that picks the line up, but once the players step onto the playing surface there is one man in charge of A. first and foremost being capable to his role, B. organising the defence, C. motivating his team mates. Russell Martin in the past three years has not achieved any of these main objectives, he has as much responsibility out there in the 90 minutes than any player around him.The sooner this man leaves the club, with a host of others (not a thread about them) the better.

Russell Martin has been a fantastic signing for the club on and off the pitch. He''s an easy target for fans like you. Exactly what has Timm Klose done in his time here to justify the price we have paid for him that seems to make him immune to your criticism? For me Klose is the main culprit that Jerome was referring to yesterday

Whilst I agree that the likes of Russell Martin need to be involved less next season, the simple fact is that he is one of the best centre backs at the club. Yes, we should have strengthened here, but we haven''t and Martin is one of our best options here.

Even the lauded Klose, who is apparently our best defender, has been making cock ups all season; quite a few recently actually. Bassong can be good on his day but always liable to a mistake. Ryan Bennett is vastly overrated by many of our fans and is a constantly outfought and out thought by decent strikers.

''For me Klose is the main culprit that Jerome was referring to yesterday''

Just out of curiosity, have I missed something to make people think that?

I agree that he has been poor all season, but seems strange to suggest that Jeromes comments were aimed at 1 player.

As for Klose, he will probably be back in Germany next season

Obviously at fault for Wednesday''s 3rd and felt he could have done better on the 1st.

Our central defence has got weaker over recent seasons from when it was at its high point with Turner and Bassong.

Turner & Bassong

Martin & Bassong

Martin & Klose

[quote user="Canary Utd II"]As we walked away from Wembley what now seems a life time ago we (as our group) discussed two acquisitions which the club must make for our survival in the Premier League, a center back and a striker, as we well know this didn''t happen and it has damaged our club beyond current repair.A lot of criticism is aimed at Alex Neil, and justifiably so, (he has to go) Neil is the one after all that picks the team and tactics, I agree with the posters who blame the board, Delia and Co. are the ones that employ Neil and talk about gifting their shares to nephew Tom, again the board are suffocating the club for their own idealistic means and justification, as long as they are at the helm we will never have the opportunity to progress. However, this post is about our Captain, I posted prior to our season in the Premier League that having Russell Martin in the starting 11 will relegate us, this came under much criticism at the time and divided opinion throughout. However, as the season in the Premier League progressed the Russell Martin favouritism dwindled and it was widely accepted that he wasn''t up to the role as defender, let alone our Captain. So we were relegated, and we entered the Championship with arguably one of the strongest squads in the division, our loyal Russell Martin following were once again happy that he could do a job for us in the second tier, whether it be at full back or center of defence. This isn''t a scapegoat thread, but why oh why is this man in the starting 11? As stated already, it is Neil that picks the line up, but once the players step onto the playing surface there is one man in charge of A. first and foremost being capable to his role, B. organising the defence, C. motivating his team mates. Russell Martin in the past three years has not achieved any of these main objectives, he has as much responsibility out there in the 90 minutes than any player around him.The sooner this man leaves the club, with a host of others (not a thread about them) the better.[/quote]

Except we did buy a centre back (Klose, though not until January) and we had a striker (Mbokani). We should never have been relegated last season, with or without Russell Martin. The only reason we were is because Alex Neil lost his bottle.

Martin isn''t and never has been a centre back - God knows why people seem to think he is. We can blame Gordon Strachan for that.

He is a right back.

We should have Bennett and Klose as our centre backs, with Martin as right back and Pinto on the right of midfield.

Was washed up 3 seasons ago and a joke he is still here , but he speaks bull well and is a nice young man so will be around for a few years yet. Russell Martin sums up nicely just what is wrong with this club .

He doesn''t say anything about commenting on here after Wembley

JF,

To quote OP, "I posted prior to our season in the Premier League."

So therefore at least two posts??

Conspiracy?

You guys on here are laughable, god forbid anyone having a different opinion to yourselves! Yes, I did post on here after Wembley, my user name then was Canaries Utd, and the Russell Martin thread ran for many pages. But as usual, with like so many threads before, you are missing the point, it''s not about me, it''s about my opinion, an opinion shared by many others!

A lot of people only post when things are going wrong , and you appear to be another one of those people. That why I questioned your post count

And not shared by many others, including all his managers but why the change of name? Would be interested to know?

I was Canaries Utd, i had a very similar post count to where you both are now. I had to change my hotmail account after it was hacked whilst booking my itinerary for a South Africa trip i went on. Canaries Utd was associated with that now redundant e-mail account. Since then i have just monitored the forum. I did apply to rejoin a while ago, it took a while before the backlog was picked up by the ''Pink Un'' team. I can''t believe i''m even justifying myself! Even if i were new to the forum i would have as much right to publicise my post as someone with Morty''s post count! My point remains the same, Russell Martin (in my opinion) is not capable in his role in all aspects, and hasn''t been for a couple of years!

Canary,

The point I agree with is Russell Martin isnt the only underperforming player but he is the CAPTAIN. I watched at Burton as Klose made an almighty mess and let the first goal in.

What did our dear captain do, stare at his feet and then walk back to starting position. Ruddy was shouting at Klose nothing from Martin. I remember after he arrived Klose was one of the few players talking to others he has now clearly given up, his whole body language shows it.

I like you knew our priority after Wembley was defence , however AN only seems interested in midfielders!

The real disgrace is AN is still here, any club with ambition would have sacked him long ago.

Agree that Martin should be gone, a just about passable right back and definitely not a centre back. He is very good at pointing though, and marking nobody when balls come in, just as he did last week against Ipswich for their goal, people bkamed Murphy but if the ball is coming in from our left then the two centre backs should pick up and the right back if anybody should be spare or tracking the runner. But Russell loves a point and stand in space

The fact he''s playing at centre back is laughable.

Canary Utd 11,

Thanks for explanation and of course entitled to your opinion, as we all are. I don''t agree but that''s my opinion.

The justification was your choice alone, but thanks any way.

Said it in here so many times, has had his day and is no longer what we need.

Time to move him and a number others on and start again, hopefully with a new manager on board.

I watched the U23''s and there is some talent in the wider squad and personally as we now zero chance of making the play offs now I''d start to play some. We could do a lot of worse than play Efete, that lad will be a quality centre back and even Godfrey; based on current options both would do no worse and probably give us a bit more passion and commitment as they want/need to prove themselves.

Unfortunately the list of those that need to go is to big so we''ll up keeping Captain Pointy Finger Blamer for longer than we should

Can''t help but feel a loyal club servant who was an absolute steal at the price we paid and has given us years of good performances is the least of our problems right now.

Russell Martin just needs to sign up to Twitter and Snapchat, engage in some hilarious ''banter'' and some supporters will forget all his mistakes and find another scapegoat.

Would not upset me to see all 5 centre backs depart in the summer, not one of them is consistently good enough. Would possibly keep RM as useful back up but we need to start again.

Same with the goalkeepers. We currently have 8 pro keepers contracted to City & 2 youth. To me none of the senior keepers should stay but will any of the younger ones Killip, Matthews etc ever get a chance. I doubt it

The clear out can''t start fast enough for me

I''m fine with keeping him, provided he''s a back up. We need to sign at least two new centre backs next season and he''s fine as 3rd/4th choice.

With Bassong, Turner and Bennett out of contract and Klose likely to be sold we can''t really afford to cut Martin loose also.

Yup. He''s a squad player, not someone you should be building your defence around.

Worth noting that in our 2 best seasons in the Prem he was not a first choice for either Lambert or Hughton.