Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

lack of creativity

for me there is a severe lack of creativity in the side at the moment especially in midfield. we are not getting the ball quickly enough and have failed to replace francis. safri and hughes are good ball winners but not creative enough. i wish i knew what was the answer was but sadly i dont. does anyone out there?

From the very little I have seen of Rossi Jarvis he looks like being a very useful defensive midfielder who, like most of worthys favourites, is prepared to run all day long, hustle and close the opponet down, but being creative is not one of his core skills.

We have to demand more from our midfielders than simply running all over the pitch, like being able to control a ball,  be prepared to make two or three touches, run with  the ball and then find another city shirt.  Playing short sideways or backward ball may keep your pass completion rate high but it also absolves the player of any responsibility and passes to the next player, usually a defender who has had all the options sucked out of the game so all they can do is hoick it long.   Yes we need a ball winner but wahts the point if it only ends in giving it away again???

A midfielder who want the balls, can put his foot on it and make things happen with a pass or little run is what this midfield needs.  

It frustrates me that so many fans criticise worthy for his liking of his ''energy'' players and then go on to praise the performances of players like emblen,eddy, holt, flem, mackenzie etc for doing exactly the same. 

We need talented footballers at this club, not talented athletes.

OTBC

[quote]for me there is a severe lack of creativity in the side at the moment especially in midfield. we are not getting the ball quickly enough and have failed to replace francis. safri and hughes are good b...[/quote]

baldy boy, you have hit the nail on the head, we have NOT replaced francis, nor are we likely to in the immediate future

one reason cost, creative midfielders cost money, we haven''t had a truly great one since ian crook, mullers had the potential but not the application, safri is excellent at winning the ball and passing, but is not crook, but considering the fact that the whole team are running around like headless chickens it is not surprising not many goals have been generated from centre midfield, i really rate safri, he has perhaps been our most consistent player so far this season, but he needs help in there, it seems hughes is coming into his own, certainly as a motivator, but he and safri are largely the same player

maybe, with someone tactically astute in the coaching dept (no one in our management team at the moment) safri and hughes would be able to fuse into an above average midfield partnership, i do hope so, but to achieve that is out of control of the players

Zipper, its not difficult to see within your comments yet another veiled dig at Hughes. I have to say that Andy Hughes was one of the few players who put in a decent performance yesterday. Safri, is the creative player. I think we need both to compliment each other. Meanwhile we can create chances till the cows come home but only for Ashton, MCKenzie, Lisbie to fail to deliver the goods time and time again.

Part of the problem is that the club only has 4 real midfielder in Hughes, Marney, Safri and Jarrett. Every other player is either a converted defender (Brennan) or a converted striker (Hux, Zipper Hendo, Jonson, Bentley etc etc etc)  

JJ looks like an error, Marney is still learning the game and the other two are varying qualities of a defensive midfielder.

What teams succeed when starting two defensive midfielders week in week out?  None. 

People have posted that every team needs a destructive type player and point out that for us that it Hughesy.  But for us it is Hughesy & Safri.  We simply do not need two players of that type, we need 1 holding player (a role suited to  safri and one Worthy has rightly given afri to fillat the base of the diamond)  and one who can use the ball in an attacking sense and get back when required (sounds a little like Damo to me but that nt where this post was going when I started typing!) 

Todays midfield had three defensive players in the middle of the park and we wonder why there is no width and no creativity.  This is the managers fault for failing to sign enough players for the middle of the park and with enough ability to pass a ball effectively. 

All three (Safri, Hughes & Brennan) did the defensie bit well enough but as we saw yesterday that is not enough for us to win games, we need more and in particular we need more offensively (how USA) for the wide points of the diamond (as system we should persevere with IMO) - being Hughes and Brennan. 

Safri is a class above Hughes at every aspect of the destructive game (tracking, tackling, keeping a shape, reading the game using the ball) EXCEPT ability to cover the ground and being vocal.  He is the perfect player for the base as will Hughes be when Safri is rested for Ramadan.

Of the limited choice for the wide points the best players currently are Hughes and Marney.  Hux is not an option on the left as we should not waste him being that defensive and he cant do that part anyway.   However we hae seen so far this season that this combination in midfield will not win us the points we need - we need at least one central midfielder who can give us that creative spark that the middle of the diamond is so badly missiung.

Get working on another loan and fast Worthy - or your stay as manager will not be lasting much longer.

OTBC

We should have bought Indigo Idiakez when we had the chance. Derby wanted 2 million for him and I believe we had the same amount to spend. He is the best attacking midfielder in the Championship and Safri is the best defensive midfielder in the Championship, what a partnership that could be. IMO we should go all out to get him in January but we need to be in a much better position than we are in know if we want to attract him.

Marney Idiakez Safri Huckerby

Looks very, very good IMO apart from Marney who has been a dissapointment this season.

Lets face it. Whatever you think of him as a person, City are clearly missing the aspects that Francis brought to the team i.e a midfielder with the ability to get into the box and score goals (look who scored the winner for Wigan yesterday)

Zipper is absolutley right when he says that nobody who played against reading is going to do that on a regular basis. Hughes, Brennan and Safri are all good solid players, but i will be amazed if they manage to score 10 goals between them all season.  Our best chance from open play against Reading came when Hughes burst beyond the strikers and in to the box. We desperately need somebody who can do this consistently.  Of our current players only Marney has that kind of potential

Without goalscoring support form midfield, Ashton simply has too much pressure on him to be the one to score the goals. Look what that has done to his confidence.

Come on Worthy- I reckon you have two games left to try and sort this out or it will be curtains for you

[quote]Rossi Jarvis, might be worth a punt. He looked very lively against Inter Milan... yeah it was a friendly but he''d probably be up for the fight more with him being a local and all that.[/quote]

considering he is actually a defender...... just simply proves how badly worthington is doing.

but bring him in i say, like you say he looked good and sharp

In my humble opinion, bringing in other players won''t necessarily make much difference right now. The players are demoralised, confused and short on confidence. And the only way that the situation is going to change is if we get a new manager.

I normally agree with most of Zipper''s posts, however, I do not agree that we don''t have the wide players capable of giving us width in a diamond.

Both Brennan and McVeigh have shown in the past that they can play out wide, providing width, pace and penetration. Colin is also supposed to be a better wing back than he is a full back, so the options, correctly coached, are there.

That would leave Safri at the base and Hughes at the head of the diamond. For my money, Hughes is getting better every game, and on Saturday he showed a considerable turn of speed on several occasions when chasing down balls. Couple that with his natural aggression and it might just work.