Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

How do the players feel about that substitution?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Somebody pointed out last night, that switching to three at the back actually isn''t necessarily more negative as it lets you push your full backs higher up the pitch, which doesn''t sound all that off the wall to me. It also gives you more height for attacking set pieces.[/quote]

That''s only relevant if the full backs only push higher up the pitch after you''ve made the substitution - was anyone there last night who could comment ?

On Saturday it was different because at half-time he definitely changed the formation to 3-5-2 and the full-backs became wing-backs.  It didn''t make any difference, we still looked rubbish and they still won an easy header in the box for the 4th goal.

i do understand your point but to do nothing is just going to get the same result it needed changing they were putting pressure on us in the second half we needed a win and i would never blame a manager for trying something different

we will never know if we would have won or lost but thats how lambert used to get wins for us by gambling

[quote user="Thisisbabyish"]Yeah in his team mates which is what he said. Agree it''s not everyone but if even 2-3 in the starting 11 aren''t up for it we''ve lost the game before we even step out.

The reason I''m so angry is on paper it all looks perfect.

We do have good owners, envied by a lot of other clubs that bring great stability.

The manager is a good young manager that won''t find work hard to come by when this debacle is over.

We have a good enough squad for this league.

So why with 3 good ingredients are we getting served up dog poo?[/quote]

he is not a "good young manager" - he is a young manager but what has he done in the last two years that leads you to conclude he is good? He will not get a job with a club of our standing again. he''ll probably get on in Scotland where chucking on an extra centre back probably works against SPL cloggers.

That''s why we hated Hughton he never took that risk.

You don''t get anywhere in life without them!

We''ve rolled the dice a few too many times and had our fingers burnt, now we''ve got to sit and lick our wounds a bit.

Happens to the best of them but we''ll be back!

[quote user="CJ"]Mister Chops listen to AN interview not the point he made. He felt we were likely to concede another unless we met aerial challenge.

It is his new plan B which worked so well at Sheffield!

Point is he didnt want to lose as it meant even our pathetic board might feel the need to lose him![/quote]

I hadn''t really looked at that angle but yes it could be perceived as a rather selfish move to hold onto a draw knowing a defeat would put him under more pressure. Albeit it was a bad decision even if that was his aim!

@Its Character Forming

This is the problem. Whoever we have in the box and however many players we have in the box they do not mark properly and are regularly beaten to headers because they are the wrong side of their man.

I think the problem is Chops, that AN pretty much said in his post match interview he was trying to save the point because they were bombarding our box and we needed someone to head the ball away. Nothing to do with pushing the fullbacks higher - all to do with keeping the point. Probably reaffirmed by the fact we only had 1 attack of any note since he made the sub.
So even if it was his intention (which it wasnt going by his interview) it wasn''t the right decision because it didn''t work.

He thought they would score again so by that logic it did work as they didn''t score again!

So his sub worked and we got a point instead of none which is what was going to happen in his opinion.

So yay 1-0 Alex Neil tactical genius!

Yeah, exactly the point im making.
He was playing for the draw.
In a game we had to win.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i do understand your point but to do nothing is just going to get the same result it needed changing they were putting pressure on us in the second half we needed a win and i would never blame a manager for trying something different we will never know if we would have won or lost but thats how lambert used to get wins for us by gambling[/quote]

Exactly, that was one of the things I loved about the Lambert years - if we were losing, come 60 minutes he''d make 2 subs to try to change the game around and it often worked.  Yes, he got it wrong sometimes, like when he used the 3rd sub in a game we were winning on about 80 mins and Vaughan then had to come off injured so we had to see out the game with 10 men.  Or when we scored at Man City to reduce the deficit to 3-1 - you could see our players were going for it to try to get something out of the game.  I''d rather take that approach and end up losing 5-1, than trying to defend a 1-1 scoreline when we need a win.

There was also the opportunity last night to change other parts of the team, not just go 3 at the back. He had Maddison and Pritchard on the bench, and Lafferty, but only made the one sub.

As others have said, he chose a ''must not lose'' tactic rather than a ''try to win'' one.

[quote user="Woodman"]

As others have said, he chose a ''must not lose'' tactic rather than a ''try to win'' one.[/quote]Not really a great tactic when it was virtually a must win game and arguably our easiest away game of those remaining.Perhaps his maths is not that good either and he thinks we can still get a play-off place by getting 1 point from a bottom 3 team.Deluded