Sign in to follow this  

Some great saves last night and kept us in the game.   Good decision to pick him and shows we have two good goalkeepers.  Ruddy has done well recently, until Sheff Wed, but the manager''s decision was vindicated - and well played McGovern!

He is what he is- a good shot stopper but nothing more. As Hoola says we still need a new keeper (despite Neil having signed three since he arrived).

Great saves are one thing, and he''s certainly a good shot stopper, however watch how many he doesn''t keep hold of (or even pushes out for a corner, giving time to regroup)

Most saves just bounce out, this inviting more pressure, as our defense just don''t react to clear them.

Agreed, although we will never know if Ruddy would have performed the same, maybe he would have, and saved the one the scored from too?

Or maybe he would have had another defensive cock up, and conceeded again, we will never know.

The joys of football and team selection.

Who''d be a managed?

Average goalkeeper but sounds like he made a couple of very important saves to prevent an embarrassing defeat.

Problem I have is he never holds saves, he''s determined to palm that back out into the 6 yard area and with our defence having the reactions of a sloth it doesn''t really help us.

Needed a new keeper for some time. Ruddy past it, McGovern decent shot stopper but not a long term answer.

Declan is now 26, should be approaching his prime as a keeper, I don''t know how he''s been doing at Charlton but if we want to get the best out of him now is the time.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Some great saves last night and kept us in the game.   Good decision to pick him and shows we have two good goalkeepers.  Ruddy has done well recently, until Sheff Wed, but the manager''s decision was vindicated - and well played McGovern! [/quote]LDC .......can''t you just accept we''re c*ap ?If this is the only positive you can dredge up from last night''s shambles then things are indeed desperate.

The fact that McGovern had to make a number of saves speaks volumes about the team''s performance.

Against Bristol City he should have had a night off!

Yes under pressure from another relegation team speaks volumes.

Think this bunch of players were built up by the media by saying that we had the best squad in the division and they really believed it. 2 average at best goalkeepers centre backs poor. Those 2 positions are the mainstay of any team.

Remi Matthews anyone?

I don''t think Rudd''s much better than what we have already.

And you''re right, says it all that McGovern kept it us in the game.

I must admit, when one of his changes was Rudd for McGovern, I wondered why. It turned out to be a good call by AN.  McGovern was top class, some great saves and cutting out crosses, very well.

Between a rock and a hard place here. McGovern better at shot stopping and his kicking is good but IMO he is too short, doesn''t command the box and often just pushes the ball out. Ruddy is better in air but his kicking is poor and always liable to do something stupid as at Sheff Wed on Sat. I''m not sure Rudd is the answer either. Jones is past it and McGovern now 32. In short new keeper for me is needed next season but in truth we could have the best keeper in the world but if the defense is as bad as ours it won''t make much difference. Have a feeling it will be McGovern for the rest of the season now.

McGovern is a good example of our problems in the transfer market of late- we''ve signed too many players who aren''t actually better than what we already have.

McGovern isn''t really any better than Ruddy, Mulumbu isn''t any better than Tettey, Dorrans isn''t any better than Howson, Pritchard and Naismith aren''t any better than Wes, Canos wasn''t better than Jacob, the list goes on.

I''d argue since Neil joined only Pinto has been a clear upgrade on what was already there.

I concur that McGovern will now have the gloves for the rest of the season.

Throughout his tenure at City, you get the feeling that Ruddy and Neil have had a rocky relationship at best, culminating in that extended spell out of the team. I think JR will be one of the first of the ''old guard'' to move on this summer whether AN is here or not.

McGovern however is definitely not the answer. He can block shots in his immediate area just fine, but is very lacking at Championship level in almost every other aspect of goalkeeping. I actually place a great deal of fault at his feet (as he wouldn''t catch it) for our terrible mid-season run and would be massively disappointed to see him cross the line for the first game next year.

People have short memories, McGovern was awful earlier in the season, once he felt his position was safe bang average keeper and one not many in the Championship would swap for their''s.

Ruddy can be brilliant (Newcastle) but is still prone to make mistakes.

Definitely need an upgrade next season - Joe Hart? (joking)

I''ve people suggesting we give the young guns a shot, well what about a real young gunn?

If AN really thought he was any good he''d have signed him for the Prem campaign.

[quote user="VW"]Declan is now 26, should be approaching his prime as a keeper, I don''t know how he''s been doing at Charlton but if we want to get the best out of him now is the time.[/quote]Rudd had a long lay off for injury this season, but made his come back in January and has been an ever present since then.  Hopefully will comeback and take a leading position here again.

king canary,

At the risk of being flippant, you don''t say!

I was thinking of a season long loan, so he gets first team experience.

Just a thought for now.

Cheers

I agree with king canary. McGovern sums up just how inept we are at squad improvement. Look through the squad and it is riddled with totally needless or ineffective signings.

The one that gripes me the most is the canos signing. Not because I believe canos is amazing and should''ve been played, but because Alex Neil talks as if he was surprised at the emergence of the Murphy boys despite their very credible efforts out on loan last season. It''s like he only realised it the day before the season started. In actual fact, knowingly, he had two young lads that were knocking hard on the door, as well as Matt Jarvis (another unnecessary waste), and Brady at the time yet still went for canos. He then gets rid of him and buys wildschut for another presumably stupid fee! And all while we were absolutely crying out for another quality centre half and forward.

You couldn''t make it up!

This manager is Sunday league standard in my view

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Still a bang average goalkeeper though. This position needs strengthening in the summer.[/quote]

What is the difference between a bang average goalkeeper and an average goalkeeper?