Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Where's it gone wrong this season?

For AN it''s been a tale of three halves:

First third we stumbled to top, winning games without playing particularly well.

Second half it went catastrophically wrong, going on one of the worst runs a team has gone on in history of football (and somehow AN survives!)

And final third we''re stumbling along, struggling against top and bottom teams!

Somehow AN galvanised the team when he took over. Last season "could" be forgiven. New and young manager thrown into Premiership.

But this is AN''s team, and it''s all going horribly wrong. Players not performing, mistakes every game, over paid favourites getting picked, no sign of highly rated youngsters, failure in transfer market to strengthen.

So where''s it all gone wrong? I for one cannot see how he could take us forward, with or without a clearout

Last season shouldn''t be forgiven

We were in a great position at halfway and he royally messed it up

And has been rewarded by given the chance to muck this one up too, you can do the job or you can''t and he couldn''t/can''t

I honestly believe if we''d acted last season when he started to mess up we''d have stayed up, obviously there''s no way to know but I don''t think anybody would have done worse.

I will always maintain that it started after the Newcastle away game last season.

AN changed totally from a manager whose press conferences spoke of no fear, try to win each game spirit to worry about the opposition first and last.

And that spirit faded after a freak football match.

What''s gone wrong? Nothing''s actually gone wrong, we''re just in a transition period.......allegedly.......

One of the worst runs a team has had in football ?

Sunderland- 15 consecutive defeats

Derby 38 games without a win

It went wrong before a ball was kicked! Those that gave Neil a standing ovation for relegation after the Watford game last season helped cause this situation as he should have gone at the end of last season

It went wrong away from home. I don''t understand how AN went from not losing a single away match in that first half season to this though. At home we still look good, threatening and cohesive (well more so), away from home we seem scared and as though the players don''t even know each other. It can''t just be that the opposition set up differently when they come to the carra, it has to be something around the preparation, either mentally or physically that sets them skew-whiff...

I can never understand why playing away is so different to at home, why do you change the team, why only play for a draw, it''s 11 against 11, some ball, same size pitch.

Easy. Before even a ball was kicked, we failed to address the insufficient quality and depth in the squad in three crucial poitions: goalkeeper, centre half and centre forward. In other words we went into the season with little or no spine...no wonder the performances have been spineless. The lack of a good leader on the pitch has hardly helped.

Yep - I think AN has lost the plot somewhat, but there''s no doubt we have needed to strengthen at CB and CF for some time, and for whatever reason, the board have been unable to.

This has been particularly exposed this season down to a lot of injuries and suspensions.

I know people like to say how wonderful our squad is, but in reality it''s severely lacking (as shown) for a promotion push; we have very, very little quality cover within the spine of the team.

Keeping AN after the Brighton, QPR, Derby away games for me. Our mini revival served only to add further disappointment when things once again unravelled, we all really should''ve known that was going to happen. Unfortunately I allowed useless to get my hopes up once more, can''t see myself doing that again with AN still in charge.

This season has been beyond frustrating.

They may be partially to blame but the players have not had it, far from IMO, and I''m not sure why anyone would think we need a big clear out in the summer. The dominating home performances have more than demonstrated that under the right conditions they are fully capable of competing for the automatics.

Hell, I don''t even think we need a new CB...

Let''s hope Huddersfield don''t go up and then focus our attention on prying Wagner away and keeping our key players. The compensation paid to Huddersfield would be minuscule in comparison to the transfer overhaul we look like we need right now under AN. A good appointment and a fresh face at the helm would likely give us a fresh team!

Also, where''s Pritchard gone again? I do hope we don''t lose him because of our own incompetent manager.