Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Bust up with Delia over summer plans according to Charlie Wyatt.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3063785/alex-neil-sacked-norwich-delia-smith/

Sorry can''t do clicky.

Sad to see he wanted Wes to go.

in his press conference he was talking about playerss getting replaced next season and some not proving their worth yet those same players or their team mates he wanted them to play for him tomorrow !!

i would not be surprised if some players refused to play for him that why it was rushed through today

saying some players are not good enough is ok but you might need some of those players if people got injured etc

....so what if the new manager wants to make the same changes?!?

can''t believe its all to do with that.....I think Jerome lifting the lid last weekend on what has really been going on within the club was pretty damning, immediately after that disgraceful result in our "biggest" game of the season

What the hell has it got to do with Delia?

If the new manager deems Wes Surplus to requirements, will this be vetoed? Will he be told who is deemed ''untouchable''?

Seb Bassong must be rubbing his hands at this!

A N may not have been the man for the job but its glaringly obvious we need the clean out he spoke about, regardless who ot is.

Agreed Norfolk, and whilst he may not be the best/youngest player at the club, I do respect Whittaker for his recent roles at both right and left back.

Knowing that as soon as pinto was fit and we signed a left back he would be back on the bench at best,

A good example for the youngsters, yes he is doing his, well paid job, but compare that to be lacklustre substitute appearance from Lafferty against Newcastle.

It''s a size/team game, and you need them all to be fighting for you, as you say Norfolk.

changes have to be made we all know that BUT you do not tell the press / media players are not good enough getting rid of them etc when games still to be played should have all been kept behind closed doors not going to get a team playing for you is it !

His targets was play offs and he has gone before ( i know very slim chance )

so must have been players unhappy with that interview if just results unless delia would have done it after bristol game

Why is it norfolk?
Bryan Gunn won is midweek game 4-0 and was given the news in Exeter on the Friday afternoon before the game. 

Totally agree Norfolk.

Maybe he was setting it up ready for next year, states today that next season big changes are to come, then for what ever reason they don''t happen. Over ruled, clubs don''t come in with acceptable offers for our players, whatever, and we stagnate, he can just say, he was unable to do what he wanted, like when he couldn''t offload Ruddy and Naismith previously.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]changes have to be made we all know that BUT you do not tell the press / media players are not good enough getting rid of them etc when games still to be played should have all been kept behind closed doors not going to get a team playing for you is it !

His targets was play offs and he has gone before ( i know very slim chance )

so must have been players unhappy with that interview if just results unless delia would have done it after bristol game[/quote]Really? Lafferty, Mulumbu, Bassong and Turner must know they aren''t getting new contracts and are leaving at the end of the season. Ruddy and Ryan Bennett probably both get their extra year triggered by the club.All of them realistically want to be playing football to get themselves decent deals in the summer. But it''s got to sting that at least some of them could have left, but chose to stick around on more money to play in the reserves.Klose will be off in the summer.Sadly Naismith and Jarvis still have two years left.

The article seems pretty self explanatory - maybe with the playoffs looking highly unlikely they were discussing summer targets and came to the fairly obvious conclusion that Neil wasn''t the man to oversee the rebuilding.

I wonder if maybe he wanted to move on Pritchard and the board weren''t keen on the idea of selling someone they''d spent £8m on only 9 months ago.

I can see Alex''s point of view over Wes, he is holding Maddison and Pritchard back, and there has to come a time where we move on and look to the future.

If this is true then the club is in real trouble. Members of the boardroom should not be getting involved in decisions made about what''s happening in the squad and on the pitch. As much as he deserved the sack, it should have been for his performance as a manager and not clashing with the board. I really feel this club is heading back to the pre Lambert/McNally/Bowkett days

I see this as a load of old tosh..........it''s the Sun, and whilst Charlie Wyatt is a reasonable sport reporter, I don''t think his take on this is realistic at all.

Any new manager coming in will weigh up the squad he inherits, he will assess what he has got, he will keep some, he will let others go, that is the nature of the sport and the team game.

Alex Neil was not getting results, and this game is results driven, full stop. The board, like the supporters, had expectations, they were not being met, at all, and were not last season either.

I would suggest the timing of this sacking came at the back end of a week of meetings held to discuss and implement the new regime and structure the club are set to announce next week. I would suggest that this was, in fact, decided some two months ago, and the new structure will see Roy Hodgson come in as a director of football. He will be head of the team to find the new manager, But again I would suggest they know their man (men) already, and approaches had been made some time ago to those concerned to get them onside, and up for what they have in mind. That culminated matters being finalised yesterday, and they sacked AN, which was always going to be the case. The board will remain the same, with the addition of Hodgson, the manager, imho, will be Gary Neville. His assistant Ryan Giggs. His coaching staff will include his brother, and possibly one or more of others RH is very close too. RH already has a very good idea of the calibre of players we have at the club, but changing it now gives him and the incoming team time to prepare for a major assault on the championship title next season. Has there been a bust up between the owners and AN. The mere fact they have kept him this long suggests otherwise, but the long term plans, like bringing in their Tom, and getting rid of McNally and Moxey, who both wanted to sack AN, didn''t fit with what they had in mind. They weren''t looking for a quick fix to anything, they were looking for longitivity, and next week we will know that vision.

I''d take that City2nd. Unfortunately I feel you are placing too much trust in our board to pull that off. I hope to be proved wrong though.

JF wrote the following post at 2017-03-11 10:26 AM:

I''d take that City2nd. Unfortunately I feel you are placing too much trust in our board to pull that off. I hope to be proved wrong though.

I don''t think it''s the board pulling it off JF, that''s down to Hodgson.

They had him on board weeks ago, we all know he was at CR a few weeks back, and many know of the close relationship the owners have with him, indeed they were his guests at the last championships he was involved in with England. Indeed, he was touted with becoming manager of several clubs during the season, Palace for instance. But he didn''t!

And he brought Neville into the coaching ranks along with Alex Ferguson, and the latter did the same with Giggs, Phil Neville and Scholes, although he, Scholes, does not have his coaching badges but assisted at Utd with the youth team run by Giggs.

Why not Giggs as boss, because he, and Phil Neville are overseeing the (huge) property development side they are currently involved in in Manchester! They are all close to one another, they are all involved with Salford City FC, but all want to move to bigger things, they all respect Hodgson, who is a good friend of......Ferguson. It all takes time! Maybe, just maybe our board are not as dim as we think?

Well, whatever the exact reasons for Neil leaving now, the correct decision has finally been reached.

Given his feats at Hamilton we took a punt on him being able to beat the money in the top league. He failed at that and has failed miserably this year in managing and getting the most out of the playing assets at his disposal.

That alleged pay off agreed at the beginning of the season should mean he won''t need to work any time soon, probably just as well for him.

A young man given a fantastic opportunity here and he blew it. Something, I think, he''ll come to realise and regret with the passing of time.

Do you think little old Norwich can afford all this? Managers and DoF''s with those sorts of names don''t come cheap!

Woodman wrote the following post at 2017-03-11 11:42 AM:

Do you think little old Norwich can afford all this? Managers and DoF''s with those sorts of names don''t come cheap!

Was Alex Neil ''cheap'' then?

Why would Neville, Giggs et al be expensive? Young coaches trying to get a foothold in the game. Why would Hodgson be expensive? Been there, seen it and done it. As an advisor and Director of a football club I do not see that as being an expensive commodity.

And with the young and exceptional talent we have at this club like the Murphys, Toffolo, Godfrey, Maddison, Pritchard, Morrison to name just a few, who wouldn''t want to work with and nurture them into what could be a great team, in fact something all have been used too.

Don''t get me wrong, in theory it would be an excellent set up, but I''m not sure we have the funds for such a high profile management team.

I have no idea if AN is/was cheap, but he was plucked from obscurity at Hamilton, where I assume he wasn''t earning millions a year.

As a side note, I wonder if Frankie McAvoy will be in the dugout today?

@ Woodman

Of course they can the Finance Director takes on a wider role, probably costs another 25 a year Director of Football gets paid what the CEO would have been paid, a younger or out of work manager with no compo to be paid could actually mean a saving.

It was reported that Neil''s contract was £1 million per year.

We know the plan is for Nephew Tom to take over.

Whatever one’s view of Nephew Tom, he doesn’t come with a background in football. The only sensible way for him to take over is in a different structure with a Director of Football to deal with the, er, football side.

We know there were meetings about a new structure at Carrow Road last week, with an announcement to be made next week.

If the decision were a Director of Football to come in, maybe Roy Hodgson, that would make a lot of sense from the Board’s point of view. A football man to run the football side for Tom, and someone to take the transfers off Neil. Neil’s greatest admirer would have to concede he made a string of poor buys, many of whom he then hardly played - Canos, Pritchard, Naismith etc. And more worryingly there were repeated instances of us losing out on players we wanted, of players talking to us but going elsewhere - a 35 year old Alex Neil presumably doesn’t have the clout to persuade players to come that, say, Roy Hodgson, would have. Wyatt''s article confirms Board disquiet at Neil''s transfer policy.

If a new structure with a Director of Football was the decision taken last week - and we’ll know by early next week - then the Board may not have intended Neil to go at all. But Neil must have known the decision, and against that background his press conference - supposedly about the Blackburn game, remember - was a direct challenge to the decision - "I''m the man to handle transfer policy, not some Director of Football". And he left the Board with a stark choice: Back him, and abandon the long term plan for a new structure, or sack him. We know what happened then. And if he seriously thought his position was so strong that he could challenge the Board and Delia over a long held plan to bring in nephew Tom and create a structure that will allow that, then he seriously miscalculated.

Speculation, but most of this we know, and the rest we’ll know when the new structure is announced.