Sign in to follow this  
Cobain18

Pardew please

I have to laugh at the no thanks brigade, mostly sighting his track record over a couple of seasons where it starts to go wrong.

You tools need to remember just how long even loyal old us keep managers around.

Its not like we will keep him for three or four seasons is it ?

If we got one good season from him that would be fine.

So where is the issue ?

He is the top choice as far as iam concerned.

From football365 before he left Palace...

Of more concern to Pardew than any transfer market activity is his now infamous ability to fall into a dire run of results, seemingly without warning. At West Ham, a run of five straight victories immediately preceded a seven-month period containing only four wins, a drought that eventually led to his sacking. At Charlton, a team in fifth and competing for a play-off place in March ended the season in 11th, and Pardew was sacked in the November with Charlton in the relegation zone. At Newcastle, Pardew oversaw a superb 2011/12 season, but also had runs of seven points from 13 games and six straight league defeats, scoring one goal in the process. It is as if Pardew is king of the sunshine, impressive when managing in fair weather but unable to find shelter when the rain pours. You suspect he might like that moniker.

Not only is this Selhurst Park rut the most pronounced of Pardew’s managerial career, it also threatens to undermine his future prospects. Having ‘earned’ a Premier League appointment after a League One sacking at Southampton, Pardew initially took full advantage of his fortune at Newcastle. Yet his constant cycle of rise and fall, from Pardiola to ‘Pardew Out’, is as perpetual as the seasons themselves. It’s hard to see how he pulls himself out of this rut.

At Palace, as at Newcastle and West Ham

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]No thanks always has good first season then it goes pear shaped[/quote]Exactly that.Unfortunately I think that is almost the best we can hope for whoever we get. I''ll be amazed if we now get the player clear out we need and we are set into a repeating pattern of very short managerial tenures which means we''ll never get past the ''yo yo'' stage if we even get that far.I thought this time the board had a long term strategy (and the nerve to stick with it) and despite the poor results this season the foundations were there in the youngsters signed by AN for the strategy to eventually progress. Sadly the fans have short memories, short term expectations and no stomach for what will always be a long term project if they want a team and a squad that can compete at the top level.But despite sticking with it for a while the Board have crumbled under fan pressure again, with absolutely appalling timing. How you even reach a decision like that without a Chief Exec in place is beyond me. Still most of here should be happy, just as they were when McNally was hounded out - I wonder how many of them now secretly wish he was still here.

Got to be better than Rowett who''s claim to fame is getting Birmingham to 7th , you could say McCarthy got a much poorer squad into the play offs so he would be a better bet than Rowett . Pardew looks the stand out applicant amd he is 2/5 with Skybet , Rowett is drifting and now 11/2 .

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]No thanks always has good first season then it goes pear shaped[/quote]

All managers have their time.

A good first season for us is being promoted.

I suspect that I may be a tool.

Pardew strikes me as a nearly man who fails repeatedly at similar kinds of clubs. His much mooted arrogance and ego appear to leave him with little room to evolve or learn from his mistakes.

looks like the club will start looking for a new manager AFTER the restructuring announcements which will mean a less all powerful CEO and almost certainly a DOF (ricky martin up again?)

Roy in as DOF would work for me; but not pardew, unless its only on a 15m contract, he is never good for longer than that. There is a reason multiple clubs fans use the twitter tag of #pardewed

Roy with a talented young coach like david wagner is what is called for.

Regardless what you think of him, to have Pardews name mentioned as a possible replacement means we still have some credibility to attract a decent name. Contrary to clubs a shamble comment that often gets thrown around.

I think Pards is quite good at getting along with boards. He''s a good friend of Steve Parish which probably gave him longer than he should have had at Palace.

Pardew''s first season at Palace was brilliant and we played some really exciting football (having been very defensive under Pulis and just terrible under Warnock) but it went pear shaped after that and he had no ability to turn it around.

The problems emerged as the team became Pardew''s team. His signings were poor (considering the money spent) and he was incapable of signing the right players in the right positions. He sold some of our better squad players and replaced them with big names on big wages. He left behind a very weak squad - any injury to a key player would leave the team in a mess. He left us with no proper left backs, two slow centre backs, no defensive midfielders and a dodgy goalkeeper.

His tactics were poor and inflexible. You''d know his line-up and formation every week - there was no attempt to react to the opposition. His teams were all attack with no effort to defend. We didn''t really draw games, at the start we won them and towards the end we kept losing. He would never hold out for a draw, we''d over-commit and concede a last minute goal. Being 4-3 up against Swansea on the 90th minute and losing 5-4 was farcical.

Fitness was a major concern too. The squad really flagged towards the end of games, our former goalkeeping coach was embarrassingly overweight and there seemed to be little planning or tactical awareness in training.

Maybe he''ll have learned something from his latest debacle, but experience from other clubs and his nonsensical interviews suggest not. Overall we''re lucky to be shot of Pardew. There''s a slight chance the new team can sort out the mess he left behind and avoid relegation.

Good luck with the rest of your season. I''ve always liked Norwich!

Cheers Selhurst. Don''t worry about set-up, this forum software is so old the even BBC computers laugh at it.What you say sounds not unlike what has just left our club, so hopefully we are looking somewhere else.