Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Strange timing

The media are saying its a strange time to sack him, but that is because of his comments at yesterdays press conference. When in reality, the board were expecting him to talk about the Blackburn game as usual on a Friday.

Alex on the other hand had got wind of the fact there was a meeting taking place at CR and put 2+2 together and got 4, so decided to lead with a clear out is needed in the summer and he was the man to do it, that tact imo was taken to embarrass the board if he was sacked, and if he wasn''t he was just sending out a warning to the players.

@nutty

Do you really not see anything off with it? The reason the board are getting criticism is they let him do the press conference and talk about future plans etc then chucked him three hours later. I wanted him gone but that isn''t very dignified for the man.

When even people like Iwan Roberts are saying that is disrespectful then I think it just might be.

Should have binned him in 2016, but yay he is gone. Looking forward to some exciting football with Woy at the helm [;)]

Interesting stuff Lessingham.

There was a four hour board meeting yesterday, would be interesting to know if it was before, during, or after the press conference!

Nothing strange about the timing if the Board’s decision taken last week as to a new structure was to bring in a Director of Football, amongst other things to take control of transfer strategy. Which would be no surprise as Neil’s greatest admired couldn’t say we’ve had value for money from Canos, Naismith and Pritchard. In which case, by using a press conference that was supposed to be about Blackburn to announce that he was the man to mastermind the Summer clear out, Neil was challenging the Board, making it a Back Me or Sack Me issue. And they didn’t back him…..

@mr chops.

How do you know the meeting was 4 hours?

And curious why, if you know the length of it, you don''t know, or can find out, what time it was.

Timing wise was harsh on AN.

The board should have sacked him earlier in the season anyway.

The timing very much suggests to me that AN''s sacking was triggered by his ramblings at his press conference.

He was yet again emphasising his closeness to DS and MWJ, and thereby trying to cement his position.

There was one sure fire way for them to respond.

It is probably more prosaic than that. In the absence of a f/t Chief Executive they probably wanted to take a whole board face-to-face decision. Friday may well have been the first day that they could schedule it. Once decided, they felt it right to enact it rather than give AN false hope?

Astounding isn''t it? It''s like when 20,000+ supporters witness a blatant handball during a game and the referee ignores it and arrogantly waves ''play on''.......

Well, I feel our current board are akin to that arrogant referee - and 20,000+ supporters can see that the there are problems that need to be rapidly addressed regarding the managerial, coaching and playing squad.....Including fan''s concerns on social media etc.....although, a minority on here would have nothing of it.....

But the board then continually waved ''play on''.........Not Alex Neil''s fault....is it?

Kingo

What I find strange is that after months of abuse from fans all over the internet and demands his employers sack him it''s now so unfair because it was a Friday and hed already done his presser.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Kingo

What I find strange is that after months of abuse from fans all over the internet and demands his employers sack him it''s now so unfair because it was a Friday and hed already done his presser.[/quote][Y]

@nutty

They are not contradicting opinions though - I believe it was the right decision but executed poorly and it seems to be a consensus shared by many who aren''t fans of the club.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]I totally agree with Iwan Roberts'' comments regarding it being amateurish in the way the board removed AN.....[/quote]Should we be surprised at your conclusion?

Kingo, plenty of people from outside the club said sacking Hughton at that time was a strange decision. Did you agree with them too?

There''s no story in wanting the manager sacked now so there has to be a story about it.

Perhaps those who want Delia''s dollies house reposessed should stipulate the day and time now....

So, hang on (apologies if this has been covered, I have only been skimming) most wanted Alex sacked, but now the club is under criticism because they sacked him in the wrong way / on the wrong day?

Crikey.

Hughton''s dismissal was months too late. Ditto Neil. And Adams appointments ranks alongside that of Gunn''s as totally bizarre. Let''s hope the board don''t go for Frank or Michael O''Neill next. With its disastrous track record we shouldn''t rule anything out.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]So, hang on (apologies if this has been covered, I have only been skimming) most wanted Alex sacked, but now the club is under criticism because they sacked him in the wrong way / on the wrong day?

Crikey.[/quote]Pink ''Un logic."The club should be ruthless for once and sack the clown/fraud/Gollum" etc.The club sack the manager."Why were the club so ruthless. Bang out of order. Thanks for all the memories" etc.

[quote user="Herman"][quote user="Mister Chops"]So, hang on (apologies if this has been covered, I have only been skimming) most wanted Alex sacked, but now the club is under criticism because they sacked him in the wrong way / on the wrong day?

Crikey.[/quote]Pink ''Un logic."The club should be ruthless for once and sack the clown/fraud/Gollum" etc.The club sack the manager."Why were the club so ruthless. Bang out of order. Thanks for all the memories" etc.[/quote]
This is exactly how I see it Herman.

I don''t think sacking Hughton or Neil were wrong decisions, but hard to argue against strange timing and that they were both too late and came after months of building unrest.

Actually, I think we had a better chance of staying up with Hughton as we always seemed to perform against the better teams with him in charge.

I would suggest anyone who can''t see that the manner of the sacking was at best questionable is being deliberately obtuse.

I have worked in places where I thought someone wasn''t good at their job and should be let go. It doesn''t mean I think they should be embarrassed on the way out.

But its ok to be embarrassed by people abusing them, protests, polls, emails to their employers and whatever else was planned today. But without knowing what was said to Neil yesterday, or before, terminating his contract on a Friday afternoon is not acceptable. Even though it was acceptable to do the same thing to Gunny. Perhaps the McNally factor was the difference there...

Herman the German......I was even less surprised that you weren''t surprised when I concurred with Iwan''s comment.....I think you''re aware why.......like a few of your like minded marrers....