Sign in to follow this  
CJ

Russell Martin interview

So the captain spills the beans the team is completely divided into the in crowd who think its a "privelege" to play for the club and those who he thinks do not. Goes on and on about players letting manager down etc fails to mention he is the CAPTAIN and therefore ultimately responsible for sorting it out on the pitch.

Sorry I know he is yellow and green through and through but he has clearly done nothing to keep the team together more like been the one pulling it apart.

This club stinks of those who are "in" and those who are not, time for places to be on merit not just because you are "in".

shouldn''t be the captain, does nothing on the pitch in terms of leading the team, is the first to look for someone to blame and comes across as the teachers pet who will do and say whatever it takes to be in the ''in'' group.

Sorry about punctuation, just realised how much his interview reminded me of Alex Neil, always someone else to blame.

The Nightfly wrote the following post at 2017-03-12 3:37 AM:

Yea CJ, agreed, to me the fault lies at the top! Hopefully next week things will change!

You do realise that Irvine us in charge for the next match, so don''t think you will see too much change at all. Made it quite clear in his post match interview where his allegiance lies, too!

Oh for goodness sake. You are talking about grown men here. A captain of a football club, can only do so much. If you listen to other interviews (e.g post Brighton) then he has done stuff to try and change things, but ultimately it is the individuals responsibility. Too much passing the buck here, and not taking ownership of the problem.

The manager can only do so much (and for me, would hold FAR more weight in this than RM) Choose which players you think have splintered the group and pick on them. Far too precious

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]shouldn''t be the captain, does nothing on the pitch in terms of leading the team, is the first to look for someone to blame and comes across as the teachers pet who will do and say whatever it takes to be in the ''in'' group.[/quote]

This last sentence sums him up add to that fact he should feel privileged as he is crap! He has been playing above his level for the past 3 years. He is useless week in week out. So certainly should feel privileged to be "in". Yes he loves the club and was a good servant but he has overstayed his welcome for too long now and every time he is on the team sheet I fear for us.

Good old Russ. He will be the first one bringing in an apple for the new manager.

He is very much part of the problem at the club, been getting away with it for 2 seasons now.

I hope the new manager sees through him.

Weird because I thought it was an honest and frank interview which coincided exactly with what you lot have been saying about the squad anyway.

CJ,

Having just read the interview, see below for those who haven''t seen or heard it, I don''t understand why you draw some of the conclusions you do, given that he talks about togetherness and refers to the team in general as we. There may have been a message toward the end that they need to keep the togetherness going but I want players to think it is a privilege to play for Norwich rather than thinking the opposite.

As far as I am aware RM has challenged more than one manager at this club, however he conducts his football career with professionalism and always gives 100%. You may consider he is not good enough as a player but if only all our players had his attitude toward playing for Norwich we wouldn’t be where we are now.

All a manager can ask is that the player(s) listen to instructions and then perform to the best of their ability in accordance with those instructions. That doesn’t make anyone a ‘teacher’s pet, it makes them conscientious and a model professional. As a result the manager may then lean on players that do what they are asked rather than those, who may or may not be better players, who don’t.

INTERVIEW

“It''s hard when you''re down to ten men for such a long time. They''ve had two shots on target and scored two, that''s frustrating as it''s the story of our season.”

"We dug in, were resilient and worked extremely hard. We showed a togetherness and to come away with a point when you''re down to ten for so long is a credit to the boys.”

"If it stays 11 versus 11 it''s a totally different game, but it wasn''t to be. The lads'' reaction to what went on and to the occasion of the day, although we haven''t won, was good. We need to carry on from here."

Going into the match less than 24 hours after the departure of Alex Neil as boss, the Canaries'' captain added: "These things always come as a surprise and there''s never a good time.

"It''s happened and we have to deal with it as professionals. That was the main message from myself and Alan [Irvine] because we had to answer some of those questions.

"I''d like to think the lads have done that with their attitude on the pitch. It''s a privilege to play for this football club and players will have to show they want to be here for a new manager.

"It''s been a year of transition and it''s going to be a summer of transition. The lads have to show they want to be part of that."

Completely agree Ray, unless there is more of the interview elsewhere, he does not say anything about two camps in the team. #alternativefacts

No he never said about two different camps. The closest I think he came to with that was saying some players would be pleased that AN has moved on whilst others won''t be.

Afraid you can start writing next season off already if Martin is still hanging around the starting 11.

My feeling is that there are two separate issues.

Firstly, Russell Martin has been a model professional at this club. He''s always been one of the first names on the team sheet for every manager, he gives it his all and has been honest in all his press work.

However, the second issue is his ability as a player, and over the last two seasons he appears to be struggling increasingly. He isn''t as a good a full back as Pinto which has shunted him into the centre. Our ability to defend the aerial ball has been a major problem all season, and Russell''s lack of aerial prowess has been a big factor in that, IMHO.

A good servant to the club but it''s far past time that he wasn''t first choice in our defence.

hogesar,

I think to a man they were probably pleased he moved on.

As previously mentioned, already brown nosing the potential next manager, this guy can speak to the press, shame he can''t speak to the players on the pitch around him. I really hope this guy disappears from the squad completely next season. As someone mentioned, he is part of the dead wood that needs to be removed, time is up Martin, it was two seasons ago.

Canary UtdII,

I guess you didn''t see the amount of talking he did to all the other players during stoppages, especially the subs when they came on.