Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Balls interview really quite worrying

I was feeling quite confident about our new managerial appointment this morning in the basis that there seemed to be a lot of links and the suggestion was we will move swiftly, indeed perhaps already had someone lined up. His interview has made me feel less confident.

Why can''t that utter cretin and his colleagues on the board understand that we want them to have a hidden plan, we want them to have someone else already lined up when they sack a manager they must/should have been considering sacking for 3 months. I also couldn''t give a t**s about the corporate restructuring of the club and am dismayed that this appears likely to delay the start of the new manager appointment process. Get on with it you utterly useless rabble of a board.

Sacking Neil was the easy part.  Getting a good replacement was always going to be the problem.  Better to be patient and try and get the right person/people in as and when they are available. 

Oh FFS. This season is basically over so now we have plenty of time to get the appointment and restruturing right. Getting a new man in quickly just to appease the more whinier fans will just lead us back to where we are.We now have time on our side to get this right, so a bit of patience may be neccessary. Are you capable of being patient?

This is gold! There must be loads of folk opening this thread ready to pile into Ed and finding they''d be agreeing with the OP if they did.

I think I''ll start a thread saying Ricky Martin''s clueless.....

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I was feeling quite confident about our new managerial appointment this morning in the basis that there seemed to be a lot of links and the suggestion was we will move swiftly, indeed perhaps already had someone lined up. His interview has made me feel less confident.

Why can''t that utter cretin and his colleagues on the board understand that we want them to have a hidden plan, we want them to have someone else already lined up when they sack a manager they must/should have been considering sacking for 3 months. I also couldn''t give a t**s about the corporate restructuring of the club and am dismayed that this appears likely to delay the start of the new manager appointment process. Get on with it you utterly useless rabble of a board.[/quote]You really think anyone with a hidden plan would talk about it? That the fact they haven''t said they have a manager lined up  means they definitely haven''t? That the sensible thing to do is to pick a manager now who might not be the choice of whoever this restructuring throws up in a position of footballing power? That this restructuring you suddenly don''t care about might not be an improvement on the status quo you have made it your life''s work to denigrate and demand to be changed? And if Balls is a cretin for seeming to be getting things in the correct order, how come you never described Bowkett as that for fruitlessly scouring Europe?

[quote user="The Nightfly"]Must be embarrassing that you have to keep open two threads to answer one!!![/quote]
I guess. But I did say sorry to Jimbo.
btw a short post like that probably doesn''t warrant more that 2 exclamation marks[;)]

I''ve never denigrated the corporate structure at the club Purple, I had my ups and downs with Ncnally but really all I''ve been critical of is the Balls £90k and expressed concerns about the Tom succession plan.

I hope you are right and they have irons in the fire already but I don''t understand what Balls hopes to achieve by giving an interview like that. It may seem that the season is over but we have a window of opportunity now where there are good, out of work candidates available and I hope we do not waste it recruiting someone at director level first. I personally feel all of these organisational matters at clubs are smoke and mirrors and you can waste a lot of time on them. Get the right people in thee club and their job titles are largely irrelevant. if they know what''s happening why do we have to wait for some kind of grand announcement next week? It just gives off pitch matters which should be behind the scenes a level of attention that is unnecessary.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I''ve never denigrated the corporate structure at the club Purple, I had my ups and downs with Ncnally but really all I''ve been critical of is the Balls £90k and expressed concerns about the Tom succession plan.

I hope you are right and they have irons in the fire already but I don''t understand what Balls hopes to achieve by giving an interview like that. It may seem that the season is over but we have a window of opportunity now where there are good, out of work candidates available and I hope we do not waste it recruiting someone at director level first. I personally feel all of these organisational matters at clubs are smoke and mirrors and you can waste a lot of time on them. Get the right people in thee club and their job titles are largely irrelevant. if they know what''s happening why do we have to wait for some kind of grand announcement next week? It just gives off pitch matters which should be behind the scenes a level of attention that is unnecessary.[/quote]Jim, you may not have called for the club to explain what has been and is going on, but many posters here have! They cannot win, whatever they do. As it happens it was a clear explanation from Balls of how we had got here and why Neil hadn''t been sacked earlier (and yes I know you think they should have done so, but they are the people with what is a heavy responsibility, as opposed to the likes of us with none). It was also a clear explanation of what is going to happen next - and why.Balls also exploded the Hoolahan story and that 2m pound pay-off myth, and explained why sacking Neil yesterday was not some kind of insult to him. Immediately afterwards posters jumped to the conclusion that the fact that Neil talked in such detail about his plans for next season meant he must have been assured his job was safe, and so the board had done an about-face stabbed him in the back.In fact it was just happenstance that the board meeting and the press conference coincided, Neil had not been assured of his future and that he talked as if he had was either just him going off-piste or even fearing that job was not safe and so trying to box the directors into a corner.Listening again to the interview again there is one interesting point. Balls is asked:"Do you know the names you want both as head coach and director of football."Balls says "No". But he doesn''t deny that they are looking to fill those positions, rather than looking for a manager. However that may just be him not taking the trouble to deny the basis of the question, because later on he talks about "the next manager".I found it all a useful and interesting eight minutes.

I only heard a bit of the interview, will have to seek it out.

It does astonish me in this day and age how everything is pounced on and dissected, immediately looking for things that aren''t said as much as those that are, myth becomes fact at the drop of a hat (eg the £2m thing) and however much it is denied (even with proof) will continue to be assumed as true. The club is rather in a position where it can''t really win - it is damned if it does comment and damned if it doesn''t - most people will have already decided their opinion.

Purple wrote

In fact it was just happenstance that the board meeting and the press conference coincided, Neil had not been assured of his future and that he talked as if he had was either just him going off-piste or even fearing that job was not safe and so trying to box the directors into a corner

Purple do you honestly believe that the BOD with Master Tom and Ed Sequin Balls had not decided to sack AN prior to the meeting and it was just a coincidence that AN was doing a Press Conference at the same time explaining next seasons plans.

You really are living in a another world

[quote user="daly"]Purple wrote

In fact it was just happenstance that the board meeting and the press conference coincided, Neil had not been assured of his future and that he talked as if he had was either just him going off-piste or even fearing that job was not safe and so trying to box the directors into a corner

Purple do you honestly believe that the BOD with Master Tom and Ed Sequin Balls had not decided to sack AN prior to the meeting and it was just a coincidence that AN was doing a Press Conference at the same time explaining next seasons plans.

You really are living in a another world[/quote]I have no idea whether some board members had decided before that meeting that Neil should be sacked. But that is not the point. What you don''t seem to realise are two crucial things.Firstly that Neil was doing his statutory day-before pre-game interview, so that was going to happen no matter what, irrespective of whether there was a board meeting, crucial or otherwise.Secondly, that it was Neil off his own bat who decided to talk about his future AS IF he had been assured of still being the manager next season when plainly he hadn''t. You think he talked about next season because he either had been told to by the board, or been led on. No.You are blaming the board for Neil doing that when it was Neil''s decision. These pre-match press conferences are to discuss the forthcoming game, and not usually to talk about long-term plans. I don''t know whether Neil was asked a question or raised the subject himself. If the former then he should just have batted it away, saying that was a topic for another time. Instead he talked at great length about it.That he made it look as if he had been given an assurance about being manager next season when he hadn''t was not the board''s fault, but his. The only question is whether he was just being dumb, or was trying to box the directors into a corner so they had to keep him on. Either way, it hardly matters now.

[quote user="VW"]What did Delia say about the long term future of AN in her interview with the Times?[/quote]I don''t have the interview to hand. I pay for acces to several newspapers on line, but The Times would hardly be one of them. I remember she said something about how in an ideal world she would like a manager for 10 years. I don''t remember any promise that Neil would be manager even next season., let alone for a decade.

Balls'' interview with Michael Bailey was disturbing. Talking about ''Values'' - ''Values''? What relevance are ''Values'' to a football club?

They are supposedly running a football club, not a Holy Communion.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think I''ll start a thread saying Ricky Martin''s clueless.....[/quote]No need Nutty as most people are aware of his shortcomings.

It would appear he was the one with balls to actually say something but as a politician he would not be afraid of the consequences.

And we don''t know the remit of the interviewer but would say they were not questions Paxman would ask.It has been done now and it is time to move on.

I am very excited for the future. I will stay positive until there is any reason to be negative.