Sign in to follow this  
Ginja

Alex Neil Talksport 11ish

If AN had turned out to be the bright young thing we all hoped he was, we would have been glad that we had him nailed on that 2 yr contract. Because sure as eggs are eggs, had we made a decent job of last season some other club would have come in for him, and just as we agreed to pay serious compo for sacking him, i wouldnt be at all surprised if we wrote in a fairly hefty buy out clause .........but that wouldnt interest The Sun, unless of course we were doing well and Everton or Southampton were interested. I can see the headline now.  CANARIES WANT SERIOUS NEST EGG TO LET ALEX FLY.

A couple of things.
I doubt he was on a 2 year contract because that would have been up this summer and Alex was talking about next season as though he expected to be here. More likely it was a 4 year contract with 2 years left. 
And secondly he always had support from the crowd at Carrow Road. I commented often that the order of play is usually keyboard warriors, away fans home fans. The first two stages only had been completed and after Saturday it seems the home fans were even later with their verdict than the board.

Ed Balls interview says he was on a 2 year rolling contract, with the same clauses both ways, but he wouldn''t confirm the figure, which is understandable.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]So there was no change in the terms & conditions last summer then?[/quote]Ed Balls said quite categorically that both players and manager took a cut last summer - I think it has been standard in our contracts for a while now that there is an automatic reduction on relegation.But if he was on a rolling 2 years then it will be 2 years of whatever he''s on now - fairly standard contract in the football world. As someone said earlier with a rolling contract you have to try and balance the likely success/failure. AN achieved both in a fairly short time so not sure what conclusion you draw from that but either way the cost is cheap compared to players who disappoint.

That''s what I was getting at CM. So the only change this summer was to reduce Neil''s contract to divisional pay? But surely there would have been no special meeting for that. We are always told these clauses are automatic.