Sign in to follow this  
Ginja

Alex Neil Talksport 11ish

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]I hope a certain Mr Durham isn''t talking to him.

That is a bit soon, after a sacking. Could be interesting.[/quote]
Could be very dull as well but I don''t see why they''d bother with an interview if it was just a thank you to the fans and I enjoyed my time there.
I don''t think a City manager has done an interview so soon after sacking, usually the next time we hear from them is a press conference with their new club.

I have a feeling this interview will be very dull, really no idea why Talksport are bothering!

Seems a reasonable​ statement, but doesn''t say much.

Ties up some loose ends, for him, but no more

Doesn''t specifically thank the supporters other than as part of wishing that "the club goes on to achieve the ambitions that the dedicated city and fans deserve".

I got the feeling that he had come to dislike the fans, and once that starts, there''ll only one winner there in the end...

[quote user="Woodman"]Doesn''t specifically thank the supporters other than as part of wishing that "the club goes on to achieve the ambitions that the dedicated city and fans deserve". I got the feeling that he had come to dislike the fans, and once that starts, there''ll only one winner there in the end...[/quote]

Carefully worded that...

My only interest in AN now is how much he is trousering to walk away from a job after 18 months of consistent failure.  If it''s the reported £2m or anything like it, that''s very annoying, although the blame would lie with the Board more than with AN, but I would resent it all the same.

The impression I got from the Ed Balls interview was that the figure was the same, whoever broke the contract.

So if AN was to leave for another clue, we would have trousered the same amount.

I don''t see how the club benefits in any way.

Scenario 1, manager is poor, sacked, club pay him off for failing.

Scenario 2, manager is successful, moves to another club, yes club get compo, but would rather keep a manager who is succeeding.

The manager is in a win win, and gets paid what ever happens, no other employment works that way.

That''s the way contract negotiations go Greavsy. We could write a clause in to say "if you''re sh*t, we can sack you for no compensation" but then the manager doesn''t sign. The way you describe it, both parties mitigate results they don''t want.

That''s football.  I think it''s far worse for players than managers - you can sign a player on good wages and he turns out to be shit, and you''re stuck paying the wages for the whole length of his contract.  But if you keep the contract length short, he can waltz out at the end of the contract and you don''t get a penny.

Given the size of a manager''s contribution to a team''s success, I think they''re not ridiculously paid.  There was that Dutch player at Chelsea who was frozen out by a new manager so he just picked up his wages for the remaining 4 years of his contract.  I think he was on £100k per week and the story went that he''d fly over in the morning, go to the training ground and do laps for the morning, then fly back to Amsterdam, because the new manager didn''t want him mixing with the other players.

The question with AN is when he was given a new improved contract.  I can understand him getting one just after the playoff final, but if he got an improved contract after that, which I think has been suggested, then I''d struggle to see why.

Football is one of the few "industries" that quite often rewards failure.

Obviously the contracts that wealthy clubs are prepared to negotiate do have a trickle down effect.

I really don''t think he would have had a contract which was particularly unusual or overly generous in his he case of his dismissal.

Let''s not look to create drama where there is non.

He parts with my very best wishes, good luck Alex.

....and I''d like to thank the fans for their support, amazing crowds home and away, wish them future success.

Perhaps he thought it rather than saying it.

Footballing contracts are just different from any other employment ones , which is what seems strange to me.

It''s also the rolling ones that i struggle to understand the benefit of.

I heard previous managers at ncfc were on a one year rolling contract, but believe AN was on a 2 year one?

So if I''ve understood that correctly there is always a balance of 1 or 2 years left, what advantages does a 2 year on give, other than a larger pay off (how ever it''s broken)

[quote user="Number9"]....and I''d like to thank the fans for their support, amazing crowds home and away, wish them future success.

Perhaps he thought it rather than saying it.[/quote]

perhaps he also thought that the ungrateful fans were chanting for him to get the sack, less than 2 years since he got us promoted at Wembley.

I heard previous managers at ncfc were on a one year rolling contract, but believe AN was on a 2 year one?

So if I''ve understood that correctly there is always a balance of 1 or 2 years left, what advantages does a 2 year on give, other than a larger pay off (how ever it''s broken)

It''s a gamble on how successful you think he''s going to be, how likely therefor that other clubs are going to come in for him, and the cost if he fails of getting rid of him.

Presumably you look at the situation at the time and come up with the best compromise you can negotiate, both parties have to agree

so neither side is likely to get everything they want.

[url=http://utv.vo.llnwd.net/o16/talkSPORT/audio/current2016/talkSPORT-20170313-111944.mp3]http://utv.vo.llnwd.net/o16/talkSPORT/audio/current2016/talkSPORT-20170313-111944.mp3[/url]

[quote user="djc"][quote user="Number9"]....and I''d like to thank the fans for their support, amazing crowds home and away, wish them future success. Perhaps he thought it rather than saying it.[/quote] perhaps he also thought that the ungrateful fans were chanting for him to get the sack, less than 2 years since he got us promoted at Wembley.[/quote]

I don''t believe even Alex Neil would think that a playoff win at Wembley is enough to get over 18 months of failure, given that managers have won the Champions League, and the Premier League (Ranieri by no means the first) and been sacked the following season.

Truth is, the City fans have stayed supportive at matches for much longer than AN deserved.  If he''s not happy about the criticism he received, he was in the wrong job.  Oh, right...

[quote user="VW"]I heard previous managers at ncfc were on a one year rolling contract, but believe AN was on a 2 year one? So if I''ve understood that correctly there is always a balance of 1 or 2 years left, what advantages does a 2 year on give, other than a larger pay off (how ever it''s broken) It''s a gamble on how successful you think he''s going to be, how likely therefor that other clubs are going to come in for him, and the cost if he fails of getting rid of him. Presumably you look at the situation at the time and come up with the best compromise you can negotiate, both parties have to agree so neither side is likely to get everything they want.[/quote]

Lambert had a 12-month rolling contract & they weren''t happy with the compensation when he left, which is presumably why they went for 2 years with AN.

Some of you just don''t stop do you ? How about starting a thread moaning about the new manager before he''s even joined ?

Can''t say I''m surprised he didn''t emphatically thank the fans, I don''t see why he should either. At the end of the day, if most of us had had our way then he''d have gone a while ago so he doesn''t owe any loyalty to us ''for sticking by him'' or anything, it certainly wasn''t a question of people supporting him to the death - most didn''t and I can''t see why they should now expect any gratitude either?.

It was the right time for him to go but I wish Alex Neil the very best of luck - I believe he tried his very hardest, was extremely frank and honest with us all, kept his dignity, but it just wasn''t to be, and for those very reasons I''m not going to bad mouth the bloke because for me he doesn''t remotely deserve dogs abuse.

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 13/03/2017 4:20 PM:

Some of you just don''t stop do you ? How about starting a thread moaning about the new manager before he''s even joined ?

Thanks for that valuable point Frank.

[quote user="Alex "]Can''t say I''m surprised he didn''t emphatically thank the fans, I don''t see why he should either. At the end of the day, if most of us had had our way then he''d have gone a while ago so he doesn''t owe any loyalty to us ''for sticking by him'' or anything, it certainly wasn''t a question of people supporting him to the death - most didn''t and I can''t see why they should now expect any gratitude either?.

It was the right time for him to go but I wish Alex Neil the very best of luck - I believe he tried his very hardest, was extremely frank and honest with us all, kept his dignity, but it just wasn''t to be, and for those very reasons I''m not going to bad mouth the bloke because for me he doesn''t remotely deserve dogs abuse.[/quote]

Fair enough, but I don''t think he was particularly hounded out by the fans - especially those at Carrow Road, where results were on the whole, pretty good. There were a few choice words thrown in his direction at a fair few disastrous away games though.

Agreed Woodman, I saw very little ''abuse'' at games but it was quite different online, social media, and especially on here - he won''t have had his head in the sand in that respect, so was perfectly aware I''m sure.

[quote user="Woodman"][quote user="Alex "]Can''t say I''m surprised he didn''t emphatically thank the fans, I don''t see why he should either. At the end of the day, if most of us had had our way then he''d have gone a while ago so he doesn''t owe any loyalty to us ''for sticking by him'' or anything, it certainly wasn''t a question of people supporting him to the death - most didn''t and I can''t see why they should now expect any gratitude either?. It was the right time for him to go but I wish Alex Neil the very best of luck - I believe he tried his very hardest, was extremely frank and honest with us all, kept his dignity, but it just wasn''t to be, and for those very reasons I''m not going to bad mouth the bloke because for me he doesn''t remotely deserve dogs abuse.[/quote] Fair enough, but I don''t think he was particularly hounded out by the fans - especially those at Carrow Road, where results were on the whole, pretty good. There were a few choice words thrown in his direction at a fair few disastrous away games though.[/quote],

Yes, there were a few.  Having been to the defeats at Rotherham, Burton, and the 5-1 at Wednesday, I was TBH surprised at how little flak he received from the travelling fans.