Sign in to follow this  
Woodman

What would you want our new manager to do?

If you were recruiting a new manager/Director of Football, what would you be looking for them to do in the immediate short term?

1 - Of those out of contract or who have options to extend, decide who to keep.

2 - Of those under contract, get them to commit or put them up for sale.

3 - Identify and buy new players for the positions vacated by 1 and 2 above.

4 - Get a good defence coach in.

What else?

We have played well and destroyed teams and played utter dross and lost to poor teams.

This tells me its down to application of tactics by the players.

ANs formation and approach required high tempo/work rate etc etc.

It all failed when he signed players who could not or would not carry this out for him.

So the new guy needs to get rid of loads of players and start again a real fillet job.

That is why i am after someone nasty who can wheel and deal with good contacts and can shift players out.

I am starting to fancy Warnock type tbh rather than a young up and coming manager we need a Mr Rightnow. Those payments are gone soon

I agree in that we need someone with enough experience to complete a real overhaul of our squad and coaching (particularly defensively).

If it''s a managerial appointment alongside an experienced director of football I''d like to see a younger dynamic coach on an upward curve come in and work alongside him.

If there is no director of football type role then it''s essential we acquire a manger with strong experience and contacts within the game as there is a lot of business that needs to be done and a very shaky defence to rebuild.

Although Alex Neil was no shrinking violet himself he did seem to build a squad that lacked any real characters and that was painfully obvious this season (especially away from home). The new manager not only needs to attract some strong characters but be respected (or feared) enough by them to make sure their presence is positive.

[quote user="Stone"]I agree in that we need someone with enough experience to complete a real overhaul of our squad and coaching (particularly defensively).

If it''s a managerial appointment alongside an experienced director of football I''d like to see a younger dynamic coach on an upward curve come in and work alongside him.

If there is no director of football type role then it''s essential we acquire a manger with strong experience and contacts within the game as there is a lot of business that needs to be done and a very shaky defence to rebuild.

Although Alex Neil was no shrinking violet himself he did seem to build a squad that lacked any real characters and that was painfully obvious this season (especially away from home). The new manager not only needs to attract some strong characters but be respected (or feared) enough by them to make sure their presence is positive.[/quote]

Alex Neil was great coming into a group and shaking them up and it then snowballed.

His undoing was buying and selling players which unfortunately in the premier league is the difference between relegation and staying up.....so are so poor they have not even cut it in the championship top half.

Teams like Southampton get all the their best players nicked all the time but do a great job buying replacements and repeating at a profit.

Me personally, I have always admired Athletico Bilbao''s Cantera system. Accepting that Norwich are always going to be a yo-yo club and that we have always been a terrible cup team, realistically what is there for us to achieve?

We like being part of the big league but when there complain about being unable to compete and welcome the competitiveness of the championship.

I accept that I am likely to be in a massive minority here but I would enjoy watching our homegrown players develop and our successes and failures being more dependent on the variability of the crop that comes through than on which expensive signing flops and then sods off, or on which manager or approach we had.

Id like to see us decide on a general style of play (though not rigid and unadaptable - every team needs a plan B ahem), but I would like us to be bold and say the investment in the academy needs to start bearing fruit, and to invest in coaching to develop our young players as much as possible.

I would be quite happy to allow Toffolo for instance the chance to prove himself at left back next season, and should he fall short, our next most promising left back should be pushing him for his place.

There will be times the players arent good enough and times theyll do well. Thats more entertaining for me than clinging to Premiership survival when we can.

Lets face it, having a team of expensive flops on big bucks who seemingly dont care isnt very satisfying

5. win games

6. give us the feel good factor back again.

7. in public, punch Ed Balls. in the Ed or Balls. (just a joke).

just 5 and 7 may create 6.