Why have we given up on the play offs?  People keep saying "the season''s over" "we''re now planning for next season" etc etc. But an eight point gap can be made up in three or four matches with the right results from other teams and it happens quite often that big gaps are made up quicker than expected - and we still have nine matches left - 27 points. If Fulham/Sheff Wed tighten up or if Reading continue the way they are (their defence looks as bad as ours) then that would give us a chance, if we were able to put a run together.  We''re not good enough to put a run together?   I would say that on evidence it looks unlikely, but it only needs a spark or a little luck to start a run - and then you never know.  Looking at Reading, Sheff Wed and Fulham, none of them have an easy run in and Sheff wed Fulham play each other on the last day - and a draw there could let someone else in. The season isn''t over until it''s over and despite our form being so poor, it is still on - if the desire is there and the belief that it can still be done.  I''m not being optimistic here, I''m not clutching at straws, I''m not being happy clappy - I''m just saying it is still possible and that we shouldn''t discount it.  My top two thread was of similar ilk - it was at the time still possible.  The same is true of the play offs now. It is still possible - and in that case it should still be the objective. 

I would be upbeat about making the playoffs if the board was, get their finger out and appoint a manager sooner than later.

LDC, agreed still mathematically possible, and as I''ve posted before we should be aiming as high as possible, not looking at others, but just to win our matches, as that''s all we have control over.

However, not only are we not winning matches, we are not even looking overly bothered at times.

I also think there are too many teams above us, in better form, that we would need to mess up, and let us in.

I can''t see it happening, but agree whilst mathematically possible we should keep going. Maybe that''s why we''ve not seen more youngsters yet?

Trouble is LDC, you have put up a motion for debating and then crossed the house to speak for the other side.

It is a cliche but it really is one game at a time with a=our inconsistent club.

Because we are 8 whole points adrift.

Managerless.

Clueless board of directors and not a particularly good collection of costly players thanks to the goon.

Anything more?

Oh! Potless apparently.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Maybe you should ask the club.

Ed Balls said the plans are for next season. It seems the club have given up on it.[/quote]Yes, I don''t understand that either, unless it is designed to take the presure off the players and incoming manager.  Perhaps that is our best chance of putting in a good end to the season - playing with no pressure.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 14/03/2017 9:20 AM:

Perhaps that is our best chance of putting in a good end to the season - playing with no pressure.

Didn''t see much evidence of that Saturday to be fair.

Season is just going to drift away now.

"pressure?"

What are you on about?

Playing in front of 25, 000 paying customers regularly invites pressure.

So it should.

If I had ever been paid their incomes I would expect a bit of "pressure."

Lakey just forget about this season as the vast majority of fans have given up on it and certainly NCFC have.

Mister Chops wrote the following post at 14/03/2017 9:21 AM:

So is the top two off now?

You seem to be ITK about a lot threads that appeared during your alleged ''sabatical''

Does make you wonder.........

Actually, the season we lost to Brum in the play-off final, I''m pretty certain we were 7pts adrift of 6th with 7 to play and sneaked in. It''s certainly not impossible for us to bridge the gap, but I''m not sure any of us realistically see us suddenly turning on the kind of form to win 7-8 of our remaining games....that said, the squad is possibly capable of it and would be fantastic if it happened.

And we do have to play the teams immediately above us.

But I would imagine they will be thinking, beat or draw with us and that puts us out of the picture.

I agree that everything is based on form we have not beaten anyone in the top 10 that in itself tells you alot, the remaining fixtures that we have about 5 teams in the top 10 and they have all been better than us, then you can look at some of the other fixtures against teams that are outside the top 10 recently teams like Bristol City, Burton and Blackburn we should be taking 3 points away from these teams all day long thats no offence to them but we have better players.

As mentioned the club is not in the best place no CEO, no manager and the board have waited to long to react to the situation...if Alex would have left the club when we were going through the terrible run that we went through then we could have been in a different position than what we are now. I though like like board wished that he could turn things around, but that obviously was not the case.

We can mathematically still react the play-offs but the longer we are mediocre the the less chance there is of that, i think that you have to be realistic and the chance that we have to get into the play-offs is fading and i cant see us on current form winning the amount of games required, it starts at home this weekend at Home to Barnsley a team we beat....but fixtures like Away at Huddersfield and Leeds will be very differcult both have very good managers and win games.

Based on the last 10 matches we''re 12thBased on the last 6 matches we''re 22ndIn other words, we''ve got worse and the gap is getting biggerWe don''t beat top teams and we have to play 6 teams who are above us but only 3 who are below usOur away form is dire and is unlikely to improve to the levels required (realistically we would need to win all 4 out of our remaining away games)Based on current form we''re unlikely to win any of the following games - Huddersfield (a), Reading (h), Fulham (h), Preston (a) Brighton (h) or Leeds (a)And that is why.

We could suddenly reverse our form and win all our games.

The teams above us could suddenly reverse their form and lose all their games, or draw the ones in which they play each other.

It is possible.

Anyway, I would love to stay and chat, but my unicorn needs feeding.

Thee I was thinking from the thread headline is was going to say ''why are banned posters allowed back using another posters sign in credentials''! Got to be breaking so many code of conduct rules but who am I to point it out?

I know you can''t help yourself LDC but even the Board admit this season is a goner. This isn''t a dig at you but if you went to more matches you would feel the vibes and realise that it''s finished and has been for some weeks.Take last Saturday''s match. The atmosphere was totally apathetic apart from two occasions when choruses of " You don''t know what you''re doing " and " Sack the Board " roused us from our slumbers.  Yes, we probably would have won had we managed to keep all our players on the pitch but the ten that did see out the match were just going through the motions. The end of the season can''t come quick enough for all of them.Don''t beat yourself up any more.It''s over.