Sign in to follow this  
Chesney Hawkes

Neil Warnock - "there are no good managers around"

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock says he did not consider Wigan Athletic to be a "threat" once they appointed Warren Joyce as manager in November.

Former Manchester United Under-21 boss Joyce was sacked on Monday after only four months in charge of the Latics.

Warnock''s side are currently 13th in the Championship but were a point above the drop zone, and Wigan, in 21st when Joyce took charge.

"No disrespect but when Wigan appointed him, I was delighted," Warnock said.

He added to BBC Radio Wales Sport: "I didn''t think they were going to be a threat to us.

"I like Warren but you can''t just put someone into the Championship who''s never been there - it''s nothing like youth football."

Warnock recently signed a contract extension to stay as Bluebirds'' manager until the end of 2017-18, but is confident about his position because of a lack of managerial talent elsewhere.

"I''m in a unique situation for a manager because I''m not bothered if I get the sack - they can sack me tomorrow if they want," he said.

"If I want another job, I can get another job. That''s not being conceited, I just don''t see many good managers around.

"There used to be hundreds, you could name them all but the Championship is not like any other league."

Interesting comments, and not like him to be so uncharacteristically bold!

I can kind of see what he means though in that there are a number of tired old merry-go-round managers who have some limited success then it all falls apart yet clubs keep giving them jobs, and then there are the Alex Neil''s who ride the crest of a wave for a while yet find themselves becoming a busted flush. There seem to be just two extremes, tired journeymen or inexperienced (cheap) and hopefully talented. Warnock is right in that he is part of an exclusive group that will regularly get job offers due to his experience.

Perhaps it is a product of managers having such short tenures by which to develop themselves

"you can''t just put someone into the Championship who''s never been there" - so you can only appoint a Championship manager who''s already been a Championship manager? I can''t see that working long-term, the pool will keep shrinking until there aren''t enough "Championship" managers to go round.

Good old Colin. Can always rely on his ego. But people have to start somewhere: Bob Shankly was a first time manager in the old second division as was Don Revie if my memory recalls.

Our last two promotions from the championship were managed by managers who had never coached in this league.

Warnock is a tit.

A chance of what? If we were battling relegation to League One I''d say he''d do a job.

Of course in your bizzaro world we''re on our way to a Derby v King''s Lynn so maybe...

Bob shankly or his more successful brethren bill shankly (who actually started off as a manager at Carlisle united in the old third division north)?

43 managers have been sacked since the season started. 43 out of 92.

I think he may have a point,

Isn''t the definition of "good" better than the average? In which case there are about 45 good managers in the league and PL, and 11 in the Championship.

Yours pedantically.

True, but what about all the ones out of work?

Surely , Keelansgd, you must realise that any manager that is out of work is worthless, and would never be good enough for us.

In that case, I wonder if Delia would let us buy and sell and pick the team.

We are a unified bunch after all, should be a doddle.

I''m sold kg. Let''s buy a couple of bottles of sherry and pop round to Delia and Michael''s. Shouldn''t take more than 10 minutes to convince them.

Five of the seven teams topping the Championship are managed by foreigners. They seem to be making a pretty good fist of managing in this uniquely difficult league without much experience of it.

I actually like Colin, he''s a panto villain but half of what he says I''m not sure he really means - he''s the master of getting a rise out of the opposition and I think he plays on it. It''s not just good football that makes our sport so great, it''s maverick characters like him also that make it entertaining 👍

Btw, I think he has a soft spot for Norwich too.

I think you might be right about the soft spot for Norwich Alex, I have an old match programme somewhere from when we played Bury, who NW was managing. In there he stated how he was interviewed for the Norwich job and how much he would have loved it (this would have been around 98-99 so he would have lost out to Rioch)

He didn''t like Worthy though.

fair comment from colin imo, the calibre of english coaches is appalling right now as evidenced by the lack of home grown candidates for the england squad and the frankly p!$$ poor options suggested to replace Alex Neil.

I am sure that the rapid fire routine adopted by most clubs completely undermines (along with exhorbitant fees) any long term planning to improve coaching standards in this country.

I understand that last night Craig Shakespeare became only the 3rd Englishman ever to manage a team in a Champs League knock out tie.

@ZLF
Colin, a typical dinosaurian English manager, wasn''t intending to include himself though! Re. NCFC, what''s depressing is not just the "frankly p!$$ poor options suggested", but the fact that so many posters actually want another dinosaur. If you insist on dross, you''ll get dross. And until the club gets the off-field structure right, dross is all that will apply.

Coould agree more wcc.

to be clear I certainly dont rate him either, although the fact he has improved cardiff again shows how poor his opposite numbers are.

Colin happens to be a good fit for Cardiff at the moment. Won''t stand for any nonsense from Mr Tan, for whom it will be a real eye-opener. And the players will be enjoying the ride in the Colin bus. Despite which it will probably all still end in tears!