Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Redmond in England squad!

So why now and not in previous seasons when with us?

Not seen him play this season but by all accounts having a productive season and sounds like he has kicked on a bit.

Now considered because he is at Southampton and not Norwich, or has he genuinely become a better player? From what I''ve heard its probably the latter but what do others think? Is it the Southgate effect (having managed him at U21 level)

Great to see him get his chance :)

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

Now considered because he is at Southampton and not Norwich, or has he genuinely become a better player? From what I''ve heard its probably the latter but what do others think?[/quote]A little bit of both IMHO.He''s been one of their best players this season, albeit he''s still quite inconsistent during games and one week looks excellent and the next nothing special (deja vu there).Maybe the Southgate factor has played a part, but that makes sense anyway as Southgate has probably seen more of what he can offer due to the U21''s than Hodgson/Allardyce did.

Great news, not sure how the morons who sit behind me and used to slag him off every game will take this!

Brilliant news, pleased for him.

@Greavsy he started off playing more centrally at Soton, but believe recently has been used wide more, since they brought in that new striker who is banging the goals in!

Cheers Lessingham, i know he had played more central role for U21s previously, and initially at soton. Don''t watch too much premier league these days.

ricardo wrote the following post at 16/03/2017 3:37 PM:

Letting him go for less than 15 million was ridiculous.

It is, particularly when you compare his quality to what we brought in in January and what we allegedly paid.

He''s a handy player but just another example of how far we''ve fallen at international level in recent years.

We''ve lost world class talent such as Beckham, and seen him replaced with average players like Andros Townsend and Nathan Redmond.

A great personal achievement for him, but I honestly can''t see Madrid nocking on Southamptons door in a couple of years time.

[quote user="king canary"]The fact we got less for him than Bournemouth paid for Jordan Ibe is shocking tbh.[/quote]What''s shocking is how much Bournemouth were prepared to pay for Ibe (and several others, e.g. Mings). You also need to factor in Redmond''s contractual situation.  

Pleased for him and I was gutted when we sold him but he got a lot of random negativity from people sat around me. I think he was expected to beat 4 players and smash it bottom corner every time he got the ball or it was deemed he was waste of space.

It was a bargain buy for Southampton but it''s the unfortunate reality of him having a year left. Saying that, if he continues to improve and does well for england one of the bigger players in the prem could easily spend £30m to get him from Saints.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="king canary"]The fact we got less for him than Bournemouth paid for Jordan Ibe is shocking tbh.[/quote]What''s shocking is how much Bournemouth were prepared to pay for Ibe (and several others, e.g. Mings). You also need to factor in Redmond''s contractual situation.  [/quote]

And Grabban!

Every bit as good as Sterling IMO. He''ll be playing for a top 5 club in two years.

Wonder if he ever found his "end product" - I''m guessing he has.

[quote user="VW"]The new Henry[/quote]Unless you mean Karl Henry, that''s the most ridiculous thing you''ve ever posted VW, and that''s saying something...Jesus wept, Redmond isn''t even close to being anywhere near as good as Thierry Henry was ffs.

@Hoegsar

Yes I''ve never understood why he got so much shit from our fans. Every single exciting winger we have gets crucified for not skinning his man everytime yet the same people attach themselves to well meaning cloggers like Elliott Bennett cos they run around a lot.

GP''s Beard wrote: "Every bit as good as Sterling IMO. He''ll be playing for a top 5 club in two years. Wonder if he ever found his "end product" - I''m guessing he has." 
By end product I assume you mean goals and assists?
2015-16 EPL Norwich City:  App 37, goals 6, assists 3
2016-17 EPL Southampton:  App 38, goals 6, assists 1
Given that a lot of his appearances for us last season were as a substitute, and given that he is now surrounded by better players, quite often plays centrally as CF or ACM, and has basically been relieved of any defensive duties, I''d say the only change is that he is flattering even more to deceive than before. Much like Theo Walcott, he is limited IMO by a lack of positional and tactical awareness plus too great an element of hit-and-miss in his shooting and delivery. 

Most talented young player we''ve had in a long time.

No surprise he''s made the England squad.

I disagree that he''s as good as Sterling. Maybe what they both have in common though is that they are better than they get credit for.

Wish we still had him.

I''d forgot who the current England manager was until that squad was named . How did he get the top job ?

Bang average players, huge egos and on unwarranted wages. We are so predictably poor at the major tournaments I think most fans gave in two decades ago .

Indy_Bones wrote the following post at 16/03/2017 6:20 PM:

VW wrote:

The new Henry

"Unless you mean Karl Henry, that''s the most ridiculous thing you''ve ever posted VW, and that''s saying something...

Jesus wept, Redmond isn''t even close to being anywhere near as good as Thierry Henry was

"Nathan Redmond similar to Arsenal legend Thierry Henry, claims Southampton boss Claude Puel

By James Dale

Last Updated: 12/08/16 1:46pm

Nathan Redmond is expected to make his league debut for Southampton on Saturday against Watford

Nathan Redmond possesses many of the qualities of former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry, according to Claude Puel.

Puel was appointed Southampton manager Nathan Redmond similar to Arsenal legend Thierry Henry, claims Southampton boss Claude Puel

By James Dale

Last Updated: 12/08/16 1:46pm

"[He''s] a very good player and a very good surprise to find this player at this level," Puel

"[Redmond] has this particularly, and he feels too the play and he can make a combination with his partner and can dribble also and make the the difference "

"I can see a player with all these qualities, and all these qualities in front of the goal also, so it''s for me a pity to leave him out wide".

Oh, I thought you may have remembered this from when he joined Southampton, a bit tongue in cheek from me 😀