Sign in to follow this  
Dorset Canary

Anthony Hudson???

Any "named" manager comes to us with their best days behind them, all of them busted flushes and as a result we have progressed under none of them (Rioch probably the most successful, although Hughton runs him close, certainly ahead of Roeder et al).

While the young and hungry ones have been a very mixed bag the time we have progressed have come with managers who were definitely on the rise (Saunders, Bond, Brown, Stringer, Walker, Worthy, Lambert & Neil) and to a man had their best days here too. For each there is a Grant, Gunn or Adams.

My preference will always be a relative unknown emerging talent such as Hudson with the possibility of progress rather than the comfort but almost certain failure of a Pardew type manager.

Mind you we may attract better emerging managers if we were prepared to talk to red bull about their £200m investment pot.

I wouldn''t call Roeder, Grant or Lambert nice guys to be honest. I also don''t think Alex Neil is particularly a ''nice guy''.

The only preference Delia has ever really shown is for strong willed Scottish managers.

(It is also worth pointing out that Delia has generally delegated the duty of appointing a manager to the CEO and in several occasions I know of has only meet the manager for the first time after they were given the job)

@BYG, surely she would have a say in who goes, despite what people think of her she must be somewhat savvy to fan rates of satisfaction?

Unless you''re ITK, (you''re a journo by trade right?) then we can speculate at how much of an investment she has when it comes to appointing head coach.

What I meant by ''Nice Guy'' is likeable, whether by her or fans. Let''s not forget how much we all loved Neil in that first 6 months either. Granted Roeder was an anomaly.

A likeable manager is a successful one. Everyone loved Roeder in his first season (I remember making a toast to him once...).

As for Delia''s involvement she is pretty hands off at times. Certainly with Roeder she had never met him until he was in post, this comes from that documentary they made about Delia 10 years ago or so - it showed her meeting Roeder for the first time while he was at Colney in post. Also Lambert once said he hadn''t met her until after he was working at the club.

I do feel she was pretty instrumental in getting Adams and Gunn the jobs though, but that is just a suspicion.

BY&G wrote;

The only preference Delia has ever really shown is for strong willed Scottish managers.

(It is also worth pointing out that Delia has generally delegated the duty of appointing a manager to the CEO and in several occasions I know of has only meet the manager for the first time after they were given the job

My understanding is they have a small group who sits on each interview, of which Delia is one, but the final negotations once they have made their choice is left to the CEO to confirm, wont swear that is 100% but is my understanding of what has happened previously.

Nobody ever knows how any appointment is going to turn out.

If we have a decent DOF and the recruitment team is to be strengthened then why not give a young manager a chance, there will be far more support for him than there has been in the past.

The recruitment post is the key, we need a vision and playing philosophy, hopefully set by the DOF, that our recruitment and management/playing style reflects.

But there are already some successful, at a lower level, young managers who have experienced the real football that is played in competitive leagues for nine months of the year.

Hudson could be too much of a gamble.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]But there are already some successful, at a lower level, young managers who have experienced the real football that is played in competitive leagues for nine months of the year.

Hudson could be too much of a gamble.[/quote]

My thoughts are with you on this one, whilst I''ve now found out a bit more about Hudson I do see him as too much of a gamble.

Who would be your best shout from the lower leagues?

[quote user="Dorset Canary"][quote user="keelansgrandad"]But there are already some successful, at a lower level, young managers who have experienced the real football that is played in competitive leagues for nine months of the year.

Hudson could be too much of a gamble.[/quote]

My thoughts are with you on this one, whilst I''ve now found out a bit more about Hudson I do see him as too much of a gamble.

Who would be your best shout from the lower leagues?[/quote]

Good question.

I have the greatest admiration for Paul Tisdale at Exeter. he is the hardest working manager in football.

But would the riches at NCFC be too much for him? His pressure is so different.

Derek Adams is doing a fine job at Plymouth (another Scot) but is another not used to the same pressure.

And Darrell Clark has Bristol Rovers playing some nice football but maybe it would be a season too early for him. He will be expected to do even better next year.

It won''t be an easy job for the club and I don''t envy them but our history says our best years have been with managers from the basement leagues.