Sign in to follow this  
Dorset Canary

Anthony Hudson???

We need a manager with some chance of exiting northwards out of the chumps. That means someone of Pearson''s experience. The fact that Pearson is likely to take no nonsense is another bonus. The debate seems to be descending ever further into total and utter farce.

Why does that mean someone of Pearsons experience? Our last two promotions from the championship were led by managers who''d never managed at this level before. Our only relegation from the championship was led by a manager with Premier League experience...

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We need a manager with some chance of exiting northwards out of the chumps. That means someone of Pearson''s experience. The fact that Pearson is likely to take no nonsense is another bonus. The debate seems to be descending ever further into total and utter farce.[/quote]

Time to get Mr Chase back on an emergency loan deal to sort out the whole mess from Boardroom downwards.

[quote user="kick it off"]I''d prefer to gamble on someone like this than bring in a Pardew etc type.[/quote]
KIO - agree wholeheartedly 

[quote user="king canary"]Why does that mean someone of Pearsons experience? Our last two promotions from the championship were led by managers who''d never managed at this level before. Our only relegation from the championship was led by a manager with Premier League experience...[/quote]Spot on. And bumped for Highland''s benefit, in case he missed it while he was yelling at passing cars.

If he has been previously praised by Hodgson, and Hodgson is advising the board, then this looks to have legs. It would be an interesting appointment, as it''s another gamble on an unknown quantity, but that''s not necessarily a bad thing. Personally, I''d have liked Hodgson in that Dof role to back him up, but perhaps he still sees himself as a top flight manager. Given the choice of another young unknown quantity or managers like Pardew, then I''d take the gamble.

This guy isn''t in the shop window like European coaches so where the vast knowledge of him comes from I don''t know.

The only way I could see this as anything another than another gamble is for a DoF, experienced Manager and him as Coach.

He is currently coach of the All Whites, the vast majority of who play abroad and the rest in the AFL with Wellington Phoenix.

And to be honest, he is under no pressure as the vast majority of Kiwis are only bothered about rugby.

So basically he is an international coach only and has had no experience of top flight, got to win pressure.

FtW - I would never yell. We have one year before the parachute payments end. At that point all we''ll be able to afford is someone like Hudson. But, next season, let''s at least give ourselves a chance: that means experience and a no nonsense style. Of those candidates left standing Pearson is that man.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]FtW - I would never yell. We have one year before the parachute payments end. At that point all we''ll be able to afford is someone like Hudson. But, next season, let''s at least give ourselves a chance: that means experience and a no nonsense style. Of those candidates left standing Pearson is that man.[/quote]

Two years isn''t it?

£33M next and £16M the year after.

It wouldn''t accept my very mild profanity there. Which was clearly meant to illustrate my sadness at my misunderstanding.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Hudson would be a fine choice if working with someone experienced in recruitment as this is only area he would be lacking in knowledge.[/quote]Hudson and Moss would be an ideal pairing, I wonder......[/quote]Not half as good as Stone and Moss.That''d get the jokes rolling in.

This guy is the youngest ever to achieve UEFA pro-licence.
No-one knows much about him, but it''s hardly like we''re appointing someone who has no credentials at all. 
I wonder how Porto fans felt when they appointed a bloody translator as their manager?
There are no guarantees in football, Pardew could come in and be a disaster - like he was at Palace. Pearson could come in and be atrocious like he was at Derby. 
For those who are jumping on the bandwagon of rubbishing the guy - here is a summary of his career to date.
He led Bahrain U23 to the final of the Gulf Cup for the first time, finishing runners up, and then went one better and won it the next year. He then took over the Bahrain full national team, and led them to 3rd in the Asia cup, their highest ever finish in the competition.
As he hasn''t been a club manager, he has had the luxury of spending time between international fixtures visiting and learning from Mourinho at Real Madrid and then Bielsa at Bilbao.
He then moved to New Zealand and oversaw all age groups. 
The U-17 and U-20 teams both reached the knock out stages of their respective world cups in the same cycle, for the first time in history, under his stewardship. 
The full team got off to a rocky start and then went unbeaten for 18months, winning nearly every game and conceding only 2 goals. He inherited a team that had drawn 2 and lost 4 of their previous 6 games. Within a year they were beating teams ranked 65+ places higher than them in the FIFA rankings. After an admin error from the football association saw several players unavailable for selection, and failed to provide him any opposition to play in the friendly window - he led a makeshift team to the OFC Nations cup title, conceding only one goal (a penalty) in 5 games.
In 2016 New Zealand were the biggest rankings climbers in the FIFA rankings, moving up 54 places.
In qualifying for the confederations cup, NZ lost narrowly to Mexico and he led the NZ team to an away draw with the USA.
Yes this guy has no experience, but everything he has touched in his career to date has turned to gold. He spent his time off from national team fixtures working with Mourinho and Bielsa. If we have someone else taking care of transfers, as looks likely with Moss seemingly incoming, then the role of the "manager" will be reduced to coaching and managing the games. This guy is clearly an excellent coach and working with no talent, he has achieved remarkable results (notably with excellent defensive records).
Open your fooking minds people.
Surely a coach who looks set for a very promising career is a better gamble than Pearson or Pardew.

Excellent post kick it off. It''s remarkable how people seem to forget a lot of our most successful managers weren''t names when we hired them. Lambert wasn''t exactly a ''been there done that'' manager.

We''re not a failing tier 3 club today but will be if we get this appointment wrong. One season of parachute payments remain then bust. Gamble in a year''s time if we must but let''s try and take our final chance before the money evaporates.

Interesting very interesting. I reckon this could have legs, I just can''t see our BOD (especially Delia) warming to the likes of Pardew or Pearson.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We''re not a failing tier 3 club today but will be if we get this appointment wrong. One season of parachute payments remain then bust. Gamble in a year''s time if we must but let''s try and take our final chance before the money evaporates.[/quote]
So who do you think is not a gamble? 
Pearson (looks like he''s going to Boro anyway) - Sacked earlier this season from Derby for alleging losing the plot and going off at the owner. One of the better squads in the Championship - 3 wins from 14 games. That''s worse than AN''s record.
Pardew - Coming off the back of 6 wins in 36 with a decent Palace squad. Went to Palace after a run of 6 wins on the bounce at Newcastle, however the month before that Newcastle fans wanted rid of him so badly they printed 30,000 flyers calling for him to be sacked, following a run of 15 defeats in 21 at the end of the previous season. Not to mention a long rap sheet of misconduct charges including headbutting Meyler, pushing officials etc.
I won''t do this for all the named candidates but I''m interested to know who the sure fire, guaranteed successful manager is, given that we can''t take a gamble this year?

All appointments are a gamble, with no guarantees of success. But there are less risks involved with the likes of some of the names mentioned than a man who''s never had a club job.

The reasons why some wanted hodgson is because he''s was an ok club manager, he was a useless international manager but that didn''t matter as it''s not the same.So does a manager who''s only managed lets be honest minor football nations pose less of a risk than managers who''ve done the job and got sides promoted from the level we''re playing at at the moment? We''ve already wasted this year with an inexperienced manager waiting for him to come good, what was the definition of madness again?

[quote user="kick it off"]This guy is the youngest ever to achieve UEFA pro-licence.
No-one knows much about him, but it''s hardly like we''re appointing someone who has no credentials at all. 
I wonder how Porto fans felt when they appointed a bloody translator as their manager?
There are no guarantees in football, Pardew could come in and be a disaster - like he was at Palace. Pearson could come in and be atrocious like he was at Derby. 
For those who are jumping on the bandwagon of rubbishing the guy - here is a summary of his career to date.
He led Bahrain U23 to the final of the Gulf Cup for the first time, finishing runners up, and then went one better and won it the next year. He then took over the Bahrain full national team, and led them to 3rd in the Asia cup, their highest ever finish in the competition.
As he hasn''t been a club manager, he has had the luxury of spending time between international fixtures visiting and learning from Mourinho at Real Madrid and then Bielsa at Bilbao.
He then moved to New Zealand and oversaw all age groups. 
The U-17 and U-20 teams both reached the knock out stages of their respective world cups in the same cycle, for the first time in history, under his stewardship. 
The full team got off to a rocky start and then went unbeaten for 18months, winning nearly every game and conceding only 2 goals. He inherited a team that had drawn 2 and lost 4 of their previous 6 games. Within a year they were beating teams ranked 65+ places higher than them in the FIFA rankings. After an admin error from the football association saw several players unavailable for selection, and failed to provide him any opposition to play in the friendly window - he led a makeshift team to the OFC Nations cup title, conceding only one goal (a penalty) in 5 games.
In 2016 New Zealand were the biggest rankings climbers in the FIFA rankings, moving up 54 places.
In qualifying for the confederations cup, NZ lost narrowly to Mexico and he led the NZ team to an away draw with the USA.
Yes this guy has no experience, but everything he has touched in his career to date has turned to gold. He spent his time off from national team fixtures working with Mourinho and Bielsa. If we have someone else taking care of transfers, as looks likely with Moss seemingly incoming, then the role of the "manager" will be reduced to coaching and managing the games. This guy is clearly an excellent coach and working with no talent, he has achieved remarkable results (notably with excellent defensive records).
Open your fooking minds people.
Surely a coach who looks set for a very promising career is a better gamble than Pearson or Pardew.
[/quote]

It looks as though this is just picked up from Wikipedia but I apologise if I''m wrong.

I bet no-one had heard of him before this. And his recent record needs to be examined before the applause dies down.

Regularly beating Vanuatu (about 70 registered players, Fiji about 100, New Caledonia about 60 and the Solomon Isles whose only professional plays in NZ, is not the hardest thing for a coach to do, a coach who has several players in the EFL to call on.

And keeping a clean sheet against these sides is fine but they are not exactly banging them in at the other end, which to me signifies a system that is worried about inferior opposition.

Yes they regularly beat these sides and win the Oceania Cup but that is only because Australia left to join the far stronger Asian group.

Where his progress has been made is with the age teams in NZ. They are now becoming organised and tactically aware and can give teams from countries with a greater footballing CV, a decent game. And it didn''t hurt that they hosted a youth tournament.

But that does not qualify him to become a coach in the much tougher and unforgiving EFL. He may well be a good coach technically but I think would definitely not be ready to manage or coach, especially on his own, in the Championship.

[quote user="Mickdundee"]All appointments are a gamble, with no guarantees of success. But there are less risks involved with the likes of some of the names mentioned than a man who''s never had a club job.

The reasons why some wanted hodgson is because he''s was an ok club manager, he was a useless international manager but that didn''t matter as it''s not the same.So does a manager who''s only managed lets be honest minor football nations pose less of a risk than managers who''ve done the job and got sides promoted from the level we''re playing at at the moment? We''ve already wasted this year with an inexperienced manager waiting for him to come good, what was the definition of madness again?[/quote]Agree with this.No appointment is guaranteed. Why should appointing a bloke who''s been in charge of sides who''ve beaten teams even Kyle Lafferty scores against be seen as great business.Within reason, like I''ve said before, you might as well draw a number out of a hat for all the certainty a '' name '' promises.

Would be suicide to appoint him as manager at 36, might as well have kept AN.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire springs to mind.

The more I think about it, the more I am drawn to Hudson.

Norwich can fish in the traditional manager market and get some idiot like Pardew, who will command large wages and his massive ego - he''ll also be reluctant to work with a sporting director and will piss everyone off within 18 months of arriving (his usual thing). Or someone like Karanka who will make Hughton look like a freewheeling carefree attacking manager.

All the usual suspects are deeply uninspiring and I doubt could really push Norwich forward - the only reason people talk about them is because they have ''experience'' which counts for not a lot in my book.

Hudson could be a disaster it is true, but he could be a fucking genius (like many are saying he is) and push Norwich onto the next level. Norwich''s stagnation has come from not being prepared to be bold - well now is the time to be bold.

Get a transfer and development guru like Moss, Mitchell or Wilson in and have a bright young thing come in as head coach and shake up things a little. It has worked wonders at Huddesfield, Bournemouth, Swansea and Southampton (when they brought in Poch) and it can work for Norwich too.

We could of course try the Derby tactic, bring in the flavour of the month and then sack them 6 months later and start again - that works well.

You can''t say that given the system set up is going to be different.

I would be tentative given his age. Another thread says Darrell Clark, I''d be interested in seeing what he could do...