Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

David Moss as DOF

Also after having read a few old articles from him, he has been in charge of setting up scouting networks of 5-6 underneath him in an attempt to find the emerging european talent.

One of the biggest failures of recent times has been our ability to scout the correct players to fit into our squad. Maybe this is exactly why the club are looking for someone with this experience and knowledge. We have spent so much money on the wrong players who haven''t suited our system''s/ leagues. Could be a great addition to the ''new structure''.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/norwich-city-target-celtic-talent-10034232

not sure how you make this a link[/quote]http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/norwich-city-target-celtic-talent-10034232highlight link (above)then drop (cut and paste) into the 2nd box on the right above the text - it looks like a green globe with a piece of chain below itand then post... doneyou will need a browser (Firefox etc) that has this facility

Someone wrote about him a while a go and the guy sounded interesting, and would not be a bad appointment from the small other snippets I could find out about. Worth keeping an eye on.

you should have watched it in the 60''70''s when it was black and white and we played Lutonwe had the slightly darker shirts... if you squited cloe enoughas to DM is he is appointed then it would be in response to the idea that the CEO is on the non playing side of things and this chap would be overseeing youth and senior setups leaving the manager to... manage the senior squadwhich might have been the reason for Moxeys departure - conflict of interests/control/responsibilities

Can''t criticise someone I have no idea about but would just like to point out that the ''finds'' he is being credited for seem to be have identified by John Parks as he was the Head of Recruitment until last month. It could be that Moss highlighted them to Parks, we don''t know but to say he found them is not quite true.

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]I have a vague recollection of us being rumoured before to be bringing in John Park from Celtic who according to that article was Moss''boss till last October[/quote]You''re dead right, it was John Park. The Celtic connection got me mixed up. Moss still sounds an interesting choice though.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Whats appealing is that he spotted/signed the likes of Dembele, Van Dijks and Wanyama.[/quote]Weren''t we supposedly linked with him, before being ''outbid''  ?

Celtic got them all for under 2.5m bar dumbele and have sold them on for far more. I have a sneaky feeling that if we do go down the dof route, we may even seek a top coach/manager from overseas for the first time in our history as they work under dof all the time. Most British managers hate it as they lose control on various tasks.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Celtic got them all for under 2.5m bar dumbele and have sold them on for far more. I have a sneaky feeling that if we do go down the dof route, we may even seek a top coach/manager from overseas for the first time in our history as they work under dof all the time. Most British managers hate it as they lose control on various tasks.[/quote]I think we are looking at strategy v tacticswhich as you say means the manager conceding the overall objectives and being ''confined'' to implementing the decided objectivesprobably not a bad idea if everyone understands their role/position which should be the case here -rather than have a ''sitting'' manager having a director of sport imposed on himwhich would then suggest that any director will have a say in who the manager is rather than the club picking each one up in random orderand therefore suggests we may be some while off naming a manager

When you read that interview with him it would certainly seem to be an appointment that makes sense as he has been operating/scouting in the player market (in price bracket terms) that we are going to be operating in from now on (and you could argue should have been operating in for a while if we want to run on a basis that is sustainable even if "yo-yoing).

More encouraged by this prospective appointment that many of the other rumours so far.

David Moss would be a great appointment. Celtic''s recruitment policy is one I have long admired and they have consistently identified players overlooked by many.

Whether he would be able to continue to attract such quality players without the lure of Champions League football is another matter of course.

There are probably one or two other guarantees that Celtic can give him that we can''t .

Such as? Celtic can''t match the wages of most Championship clubs, certainly not ones pushing for promotion.

Interesting interview with David Moss here;

http://visionarysportsinvestment.com/news/celtic-fcs-david-moss-talks-sporting-directors-and-saving-40-million/

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Such as? Celtic can''t match the wages of most Championship clubs, certainly not ones pushing for promotion.

Interesting interview with David Moss here;

http://visionarysportsinvestment.com/news/celtic-fcs-david-moss-talks-sporting-directors-and-saving-40-million/[/quote]

Celtic pay more than "most" Championship clubs and similar to what we are led to believe are or players wages at NCFC.

The other things we can''t offer is at least one trophy a season, finishing top or second, qualifying for Europe and average home attendances well over 50K and away support of 7K.

Good call from Jake Humphrey - go for Japp Stam at reading, whose position is unclear with new owners a possibility.

Did you read the interview KeelansGranddad?

Moss says Celtic can''t compete with the majority of Championship clubs for wages. It is written there.

Of course the Champions League is a big draw for players, but when you consider Wanyama came from Beerschot and Van Dijk came from Groningen I don''t think those would have been players beyond Norwich''s reach. Nir Bitton came from FC Ashod, Simunovic came from Zagreb, Rogic from Central Coast Mariners etc.

These aren''t players coming from large clubs on the promise of maybe getting to the Champions League group stage. It is just smart scouting in non-traditional locations - exactly what Norwich have been lacking.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Did you read the interview KeelansGranddad?

Moss says Celtic can''t compete with the majority of Championship clubs for wages. It is written there.

Of course the Champions League is a big draw for players, but when you consider Wanyama came from Beerschot and Van Dijk came from Groningen I don''t think those would have been players beyond Norwich''s reach. Nir Bitton came from FC Ashod, Simunovic came from Zagreb, Rogic from Central Coast Mariners etc.

These aren''t players coming from large clubs on the promise of maybe getting to the Champions League group stage. It is just smart scouting in non-traditional locations - exactly what Norwich have been lacking.[/quote]

What I checked on was Celtic players reported wages.

Brown and the top players are on 20-25K.

Others are on 15-18K.

If these figures are correct I don''t think most Championship clubs will be paying that.

Didn''t Lafferty say Huddersfield were only offering 7.5K a week?

But I agree that the prospect of being involved with a potential Prem club would be tempting financially.