Sign in to follow this  
CJ

Nigel Pearson OMG

Stuck a £1 on him a few days ago when he was 33-1 alongside a few other candidates that I don''t fancy and wanted to curse (as I never win any money under any circumstance, ever)

I''ve had a rethink though and wouldn''t mind him. £32 would be nice as well!

I''d be intrigued to see how Pearson would get on here, with our squad and with Delia and co. Out of the names currently in the mix, he''s right up there for me. I want whoever becomes manager here to have a promotion under his belt, and Pearson ticks that box.

It''s not just "what happened at Derby" but what happened at Hull too? Perhaps he''s the type of manager which can only be successful in one place (Leicester)? But like most have said previously, better than the majority of serial failures and applicants we''ve been linked with.

Not sure about this really. Has experience and some limited success but comes across to me as a shouty nutter. My perception of AN was that he saw himself as a tough cookie and probably hurled lots of stuff around the changing room, eventually resulting in the players just tuning out, but do we need someone else like that? I would rather actually have the calm authority of a Hodgson with a younger up and coming coach under his guidance. Pearson could be like a bull in a china shop here and either do very well short term or really cause a lot of collateral damage. I think it would be a huge gamble and the pairing of him and Delia? Really?

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Not sure about this really. Has experience and some limited success but comes across to me as a shouty nutter. My perception of AN was that he saw himself as a tough cookie and probably hurled lots of stuff around the changing room, eventually resulting in the players just tuning out, but do we need someone else like that? I would rather actually have the calm authority of a Hodgson with a younger up and coming coach under his guidance. Pearson could be like a bull in a china shop here and either do very well short term or really cause a lot of collateral damage. I think it would be a huge gamble and the pairing of him and Delia? Really?[/quote]

He doesn''t suffer fools gladly and is no yes man - which is a good thing.  Fortunately, I don''t think he would have problems with our owners as the issues he has had with past clubs has usually been on non-footballing stuff, like the idiotic owner who used drones to observe training sessions.  DS and MJW to their credit do not get in the way of footballing matters. 

i understand that he kept leicester up and built the team but it took a different manager to get them to play really well together , they would not have won the league the way they did with Pearson took a completely different manager to change them

Pearson for me has one style of management and thats this Tough guy image he has built up and that only works so far with some players

I''d agree with the point about the tough guy image only working so far. I believe that''s what happened with AN, for the first few months it was fine and he shook things up. Then, last year in the prem, when he needed to show that he had the tactical know how to get results, he couldn''t achieve it and the senior players realised that all he had was the shouty, angry voice and lost all faith in him.

So, we need someone who has the ability to gee them up when they need it and someone who has the intelligence to adapt to different tactics. Is that Nigel Pearson? Not sure.

Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger...

Mourinhio - often fails at every club hes at. Has a season of transition, then success, then failure

Ferguson - arguably failed in his first 5 years at Old Trafford

Wenger - ask Arsneal fans. He''s failing now in their eyes

Obviously failure is a vague term & success is measured differently at every club

A lot of hype about his time at Leicester, and I have heard that their late turnaround was assisted by unfair means. There will be quite a few managers who get a promotion, but far fewer that can sustain their good performance.We should be looking at someone who can build a squad that plays football as we ought not to be targeting promotion next season. Nearly all the candidates put forward fail because they lack the qualifications or experience of building a side or playing good quality football.This season''s gamble has failed and we need to learn to walk before we learn to run.

I''m sorry Len, but...

''I have heard that their late turnaround was assisted by unfair means'' - what on earth does that even mean? They stayed up because they got more points than the bottom 3. What are these ''unfair means''?

''There will be quite a few managers who get a promotion, but far fewer that can sustain their good performance'' - thats true. History is littered with them. There is a vast difference in the Champs & Prem and it works both ways.

''We should be looking at someone who can build a squad that plays football as we ought not to be targeting promotion next season'' - now you are just trolling. Not targeting promotion?

''lack the qualifications or experience of building a side or playing good quality football'' - Pretty football doesnt get you out of this league. Grinding out results does.

''This season''s gamble has failed and we need to learn to walk before we learn to run'' - what gamble exactly? We kept the same squad after relegation. Most teams could only dream of that.

And then kept them up the year after.

After everything that has been said about any name that has been mentioned. They are the 2 vital things on Pearson''s CV that nobody else has.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i understand that he kept leicester up and built the team but it took a different manager to get them to play really well together , they would not have won the league the way they did with Pearson took a completely different manager to change them Pearson for me has one style of management and thats this Tough guy image he has built up and that only works so far with some players[/quote]

If you the results from end of the season when Leicester avoided relegation, they had actually started on the run of top-of-the-league-form with about 10 games of the season left (under Pearson), and they just continued this same run of form after the next season started.

Ranieri certainly seemed to have a management approach which then worked to take them through to the title - rather grandfatherly and encouraging the mentality that the players were working hard for each other and taking responsibility.  That same approach clearly didn''t work after they had won the title and came back to work this season.

I agree that Pearson probably wouldn''t have had the right approach to take them to the title.  But that''s hardly the bar we should be using for measuring a potential manager for us.

I wonder what could have enhanced their performance so suddenly at the end of that season?

[quote user="ZLF"]I wonder what could have enhanced their performance so suddenly at the end of that season?[/quote]

Probably motivation. He talks softly but from all accounts is tough and doesn''t pander to the media.

That is a quality that many top managers have had and others probably wish they had.

Why would ''not pandering to the media'' help results? And if so, why had it not worked for Pearson until the last 10 matches of the season?

Either way, I wouldn''t be surprised if he gets the Boro job.

Not a ''nice'' enough Nigel I think for our Majority Shareholding Duo....... and the rest of the NCFC = Nepotism Cronyism Friends Collective.....

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Why would ''not pandering to the media'' help results? And if so, why had it not worked for Pearson until the last 10 matches of the season?

Either way, I wouldn''t be surprised if he gets the Boro job.[/quote]

I didn''t mention about results. I was talking about his personality regarding suitability as our manager.

True you didn''t specifically say results, KG, but you were responding to what improved Leicester''s results. You also said it makes a top manager, and was makes a top manager if not getting positive results?

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]I''m sorry Len, but...

''I have heard that their late turnaround was assisted by unfair means'' - what on earth does that even mean? They stayed up because they got more points than the bottom 3. What are these ''unfair means''?[/quote]The press reported on doping allegations. Nothing proved of course.[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]''We should be looking at someone who can build a squad that plays football as we ought not to be targeting promotion next season'' - now you are just trolling. Not targeting promotion?[/quote]Targeting promotion with a weak squad and manager this season hasn''t done us any favours. Thinking that we''ll put off rejuvinating the squad until we get promoted

is a fool''s errand. We didn''t upgrade upon our last promotion and we''re

now forced into a corner.We''re going to be losing several players this summer and we''re a year behind with the inevitable rebuild. Promotion is no longer a realistic aim, neither is a playoff place.[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]''lack the qualifications or experience of building a side or playing good quality football'' - Pretty football doesnt get you out of this league. Grinding out results does.[/quote]Who mentioned pretty football?[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]''This season''s gamble has failed and we need to learn to walk before we learn to run'' - what gamble exactly? We kept the same squad after relegation. Most teams could only dream of that.[/quote]Keeping the same squad was a bloody stupid decision. It was full of rubbish and needed to be rebuilt. All we''ve done is throw good money after bad and postpone the inevitable.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]True you didn''t specifically say results, KG, but you were responding to what improved Leicester''s results. You also said it makes a top manager, and was makes a top manager if not getting positive results?[/quote]

True. I guess motivation was the real reason.

Would be my first choice in managers currently out of a job.

Would get rid of the dead wood and get players to fight for their shirt. Ex tough defender who would get our defensive frailties sorted whilst inducing grit throughout the whole team.

He''s got my vote.