Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Declan Rudd

With an article stating he is out of contract, now 26 and Charlton circling - what is the general consensus on him?

Lot of love for him from City fans, though we know from past experience that fans often view players on the bench or away from the club as superior to those on the pitch if only they''d be given the chance.

Heard when he was on loan at Preston they thought very highly of him, and Charlton are clearly impressed.

Have to say though whenever I have watched him play I havent been convinced.

Some of the comments say he''s the best keeper at the club. If thats the case, why is he 3rd choice?

If he''s 26 now he really should be establishing himself

A Preston-supporting friend says the rumour doing the rounds up there is that Rudd is joining them on a permanent in the summer, and that they are very pleased about that as they hold him in high regard.

As you said, he''s not a young keeper anymore, he was playing games for us 7-8 years ago and has still not established himself, so probably best for him to move on and get regular football.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]A Preston-supporting friend says the rumour doing the rounds up there is that Rudd is joining them on a permanent in the summer, and that they are very pleased about that as they hold him in high regard.

As you said, he''s not a young keeper anymore, he was playing games for us 7-8 years ago and has still not established himself, so probably best for him to move on and get regular football.[/quote]

Should that be considered a bad thing though? Chris Martin bummed around here for a long time and then kicked on and lots of fans were kicking themselves. Yet remember that when Jed Steer left for Villa this was seen as a travesty, though he has hardly progressed

Well it probably is a bad thing in the sense that we are always shipping him out on loan rather than giving him an extended run in the team. Especially when players like McGovern seem preferred over him.

Has any keeper currently on our books actually looked good playing behind our back four since Lambert left?

Better than McGovern and Jones. Not as good as Ruddy over a spread of games but probably too good to be permanent backup to him so a move makes sense.

Hope we try for another first choice next year, a 21-24 year old prospect and keep McGovern or Jones as third choice

Remi Matthews who''s our player on loan at Hamilton. He was their penalty shootout saviour in the recent run Hamilton had in the Scottish Cup - not sure it was that but I''m too lazy to look it up.

Had a decent spell in the team a while back when Ruddy was going through a spell of regular blunders.  looked good initially but then seemed to struggle and Ruddy got his place back.  Hasn''t really featured since then & has been loaned out etc.

I think if he was going to make it with us, he probably would have done by now.  I think he''ll probably find his level in the lower leagues.

We''re supposed to be having a clear out. Ruddy is one of those who is way past his best, so sell him and stick Rudd in goal.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]A Preston-supporting friend says the rumour doing the rounds up there is that Rudd is joining them on a permanent in the summer, and that they are very pleased about that as they hold him in high regard.

As you said, he''s not a young keeper anymore, he was playing games for us 7-8 years ago and has still not established himself, so probably best for him to move on and get regular football.[/quote]

Should that be considered a bad thing though? Chris Martin bummed around here for a long time and then kicked on and lots of fans were kicking themselves. Yet remember that when Jed Steer left for Villa this was seen as a travesty, though he has hardly progressed[/quote]

From the Birmingham Mail: Jed Steer ruptured his Achilles earlier this season, so is out for a long time. Prior to that he had a full season out on loan at Huddersfield, making 38 appearances. He returned to Villa this season and was pressing for a first team place (with another ex-Canary - Mark Bunn) until Roberto di Matteo signed Gollini for Villa.

As for Rudd, he''s never convinced me. Under Hughton and Lambert he was very much the 2nd choice behind Ruddy and only played a couple of games for suspensions or cup games. And when Ruddy looked suspect last year in the Prem, and AN put him in , I don''t think we looked any more secure. Whether that''s down to the poor defence in front of him, I don''t know, but I didn''t get the impression our defenders had as much faith in him as they do with Ruddy. Same applies to McGovern.

For those on here saying. That because Rudd doesn''t get into our team he must be rubbish . How do you equate that to Naismith being in our team regularly, or indeed many other personnel decisions ?

I think Rudd is equal to Ruddy in most departments , as is Mc Govern, just that the management has had its favoured players . I would be happy to have him back her inplace of Ruddy if he were to leave .

He is a very lean keeper, always said he needed to bulk up a little. Yes cech and goalkeepers such de gea are lean, but always thought he has need to bulk up.

If next season we want to try and get a team capable of going up then I wonder if he would replace who we have. I wonder if like Lewis his time has come.

But agreed with previous comments that the defence is needed to turn up to help a keeper and it is our summer priority.

Role on new manager and structure, no Gary jolts or risky options we need as senior and respected as we can get before the parachute payments disappear

The good ole declan rudd debate rears it''s head once more.

Not good enough for us unfortunately. That''s why he''s never broken through under any manager here.

Perfect for a bottom tier championship side or a top half league 1 side and that''s where he''ll end up.

Good luck to the lad