Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Next weeks restructuring announcements...

Delia and Michael to step aside for young Tom at the end of the season? Got a gut feeling its imminent...

Don''t think either you or I will be the first to think it to be honest, The Nightfly! But I honestly do think this will be the big news next week.

After today''s result I''m totally convinced it''s coming now, a very interesting week in prospect at Carrow Rd.

New very rich investor, new board to inc DOF, new Manager with an excellent backroom team.

We can dream!

As I believe Ed Balls used the word ''restructuring'' then I think it''s fair to say that the announcement won''t be solely about ''replacing'' the manager. Of course, that will be a part of it, but Delia and Michael are, in the nicest possible way, getting on a bit and have copped some flak of late - so, as stated, it all seems to point in one direction for me. As Tom is already on the board, then surely we can expect 1 or 2 more new faces? Wouldn''t bet on new major investors though folks...

I have no idea what is going to happen, but I think there are one or two misconceptions/bits of wishful thinking flying around! If what we are getting is a restructuring, then there is no reason to suppose that involves Smith and Jones, because they are the owners and board members, and not part of the day-to-day bureaucracy, which is what I assume Balls is talking about being altered.For Smith and Jones to quit as owners would only happen if there was a takeover looming, and there is no sign of that (shareholders have not been informed  of an offer). Or if they now gifted their shares to Tom. And since he was supposed to be on the board to learn the business it seems unlikely he would already be regarded as having absorbed all he needed to know. And while they are still owners I imagine they will stay on the board.As to restructuring the bureaucracy, what seems to be being imagined by some is splitting the chief executive''s role into two, with a director of football taking on that side of the job and the finance chief doing the rest.But that underestimates what a director of football, certainly as used on the continent, does. They do not just deal with the footballing bits that a British chief executive has on their plate, such as transfer fees, contract negotiations, wages etc - fitting all that into the budget.A continental DoF, who would sit on the board, is essentially the manager, deciding on transfers in and out and on the footballing ethos, while delegating the day-to day stuff to a head coach, who works within the guidelines set by the DoF.If that is what is planned then it is not splitting the CEO''s job in two, but in effect splitting the manager''s job in two. And this is not popular with English managers, because it sharply reduces their control. It would be a surprise if we were going completely down that route, not least because it does potentially limit those who would be willing to become that head coach.A compromise would be to keep  the manager as manager and have a less hands-on DoF, sitting on the board, dealing only with those footballing bits the old chief executive did, but also using his professional knowledge of the game as a wise counsel to the other directors. Or we could just be keeping the manager as manager and having two people doing what was one job, but with sharply divided responsibilities.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]For Smith and Jones to quit as owners would only happen if there was a takeover looming, and there is no sign of that (shareholders have not been informed  of an offer). Or if they now gifted their shares to Tom. And since he was supposed to be on the board to learn the business it seems unlikely he would already be regarded as having absorbed all he needed to know. And while they are still owners I imagine they will stay on the board.[/quote]I would have thought that Nephew Tom would inherit his uncle''s shares after Wynn-Jones dies. Perhaps less tax to pay?

[quote user="Len"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]For Smith and Jones to quit as owners would only happen if there was a takeover looming, and there is no sign of that (shareholders have not been informed  of an offer). Or if they now gifted their shares to Tom. And since he was supposed to be on the board to learn the business it seems unlikely he would already be regarded as having absorbed all he needed to know. And while they are still owners I imagine they will stay on the board.[/quote]I would have thought that Nephew Tom would inherit his uncle''s shares after Wynn-Jones dies. Perhaps less tax to pay?[/quote]I was simply examining the idea, floated by the OP, that Tom would take over at the end of the season, presumably before anyone died.

Maybe Roy Hodgson will be appointed onto the board in a dual role as DoF and a Director of Delia''s Dinner Party''s......?

I think it may be a side issue but I have mentioned before that Inheritance Tax Planning could have an influence. No expert but shares of a "going concern" being transferred don''t attract IHT , and the fact that a Trust has been mentioned supports this. At the time of Tom "inheriting" shares if Delia or Michael die , the shares would ordinarily form part of the estate , and would be independently valued - potatially a sizeable sum and lots of IHT.

That could all be cobblers of course . As I say I''m no expert.if anyone knows better please tell us!

Thanks for your considered reply, Purple 👍. You are much more clued up on such matters than the likes of myself so was interesting to read. Still think we might see Delia and Michael take a step back this week though but we''ll see.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]I''d love it if the club got Dion involved in some capacity[/quote]

Assistant manager to Hucks? 😉

A football board comprised of a Head of Recruitment (Ricky Martin) and Financial Consultant (Steve Stone) reporting in to the manager (Roy Hodgson) and head coach (Nigel Worthington), all reporting to Nephew Tom who reports to Delia over Sunday Lunch.

To be fair, all Balls says in the Radio Norfolk interview is we restruvture the football side post Neil.There''s no mention of wholesale board/club changes.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Maybe Roy Hodgson will be appointed onto the board in a dual role as DoF and a Director of Delia''s Dinner Party''s......?[/quote]

Perhaps he could have a third role - wine waiter!

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 12/03/2017 6:00 PM:

I''d love it if the club got Dion involved in some capacity

Is that so he can sell the property off on that TV show he does? 😂😂😂😂

[quote user="Alex "]Thanks for your considered reply, Purple 👍. You are much more clued up on such matters than the likes of myself so was interesting to read. Still think we might see Delia and Michael take a step back this week though but we''ll see.[/quote]Alex, I was only outlining options. On this, as on many other things, I have no inside information. I would predict, though, that IF Hodgson is involved at all it will not be as an old-fashioned manager or as a head coach under a fully-fledged director of football. He will either be a fully-fledged DoF or - much more likely - a director (even if called a DoF) serving as the board''s expert on football, which is not the same thing as a proper DoF as understood on the continent.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Clearly going to sign Grant Holt...[/quote]Family lives in Norfolk, Norwich legend, qualified coach amd guaranteed to be a positive force for the club. Would be a brillant signing!