Sign in to follow this  
Coneys Knee

First job for the new head coach

For me it should be to make Jonny Howson captain. Comes across as a very level headed lad with superb ability and consistency. Great to hear hiis comment re Jacob Murphy too.

Being level headed, superb ability and consistency, even if that is the case, do not a captain make, otherwise Hazard would be captain of Chelsea, etc. etc.

Not to say he wouldn''t make a good captain but other criteria apply, does he have those criteria?

he was at Leeds, and he was that much younger thenhowever it would need someone to inpire the team on the pitch and I wonder if his ''mild mannered'' approach would fit the job

He could certainly lead by example, no doubt about that. Howson does come across as a rather quiet type though. I wonder how vocal he would be as captain.

Mickdundee,

Of course he does what? What are the criteria you think a good captain/leader should have and does Howson, satisfy these criteria, or any other player for that matter? It''s all very good saying ☓ player should be captain, that''s easy to do, justifying it with sound logical reasoning may be a touch more stretching.

The fact he''s done the job before, the fact that he''s been captain when Martin hasn''t been in the team.

He''s doesn''t have to shout and scream to lead by example

He''s one of our most consistent players, and therefore likely to start games, that''s something that Martin shouldn''t be doing

Mickdundee,

As I said, listing criteria and justifying with sound logical reasoning is a tad more stretching, all you''ve done is regurgitate what has been said previously. I''m not saying he wouldn''t make a good captain but slagging off the current incumbent adds nothing to making the case for Howdon or anyone else.

Like mickdundee said, being a screamer and shouter isn''t a necessity for a captain. I would say, essential qualities are consistency, ability, level headed-ness, commitment and the respect of his team mates. I think howson has all of those, though respect of his team mates is an assumption of course as us fans could never be sure of that one.

Hmmm. I remember he was captain earlier this season and completely failed to do his duties when Pinto lost his rag- Bennett had to calm him down while Howson stood there with hands on hips.

[quote user="ridgeman"]IMO his first job is to sort out the shambles of a defence. Yesterday we couldn''t have complained if Barnsley had scored 4, 5 or even 6 goals our defence was all over the place.[/quote]Good point, well made.

Dont give a monkeys who is captain, and while not Martins biggest fan he appears a good club captain he is a good as anyone. Likewise Howson may be a decent club captain but he becomes as anonymous as anyone when some leadership is needed.

One of our biggest problems has been on pitch leadership, and while it is easy to point the finger at Martin as the figure head, the same goes to each and everyone of the other 10 on the pitch.

We are team of XI disconnected players and a lack of leadership has been evident several seasons now, not just under Neil. The heaviest finger points at the captains (Martin, Bennett, howson, tettey) but it is something, amongst so many, that needs urgent addressing in the coming 5 months