Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Better The Devil You Know.......?

There is a growing feeling amongst fans that the board should sack Worthy but is it really the best thing for the club? 

There is no guarantee that changing the manager will mean improvement in performances and/or results.  What happens if a new manager comes in and 10/20 games down the line we are still not in the play off positions?  Get in the 3rd manager of the season?   

Sacking your manager is not a decision to be taken lightly as you really cannot be sure who or what you are getting as replacement.  You could get a Stuart Pearce who instantly takes your club forward, alternatively you could get a Ruud Gullit!  Clubs like Southampton have paid the price for changing managers too often and I bet there are many a scummer who wishes Burley had never left.

Considering the pay off Worthy would be entitled to, that narrows our options down for a replacement unless we want to pay another club compensation.  Surely spending this money on players in January would be a better move?

The board has a lot to consider when deciding the fate of Worthy and it is not a decision to be taken lightly.  It''s not just as simple as Worthy Out!

I am not happy with the results or performances and Worthy is living dangerously.  I am just not convinced that sacking him will be the miracle answer some think it is.

Agreed. From reading many reports and comments (not at the game) it looks like we could easily have taken something from the game on Sat. Apart form one or two people here, most seem to be screaming Worthy out on the basis of the loss. Fair enough in some ways, but if a couple of chances had been put away and we''d won, would you all still have been calling for his head? Probably not, though the performance might have been effectively the same! We are stuttering, half the players seem bit off colour, but I for one am still optimistic that things will turn round. As for all the crying about NW saying he doesn''t care what the fans SAY to a substitution, how about getting a grip. He carries the can and has to make the decisions. He can''t and shouldn''t, take the views of fans into account. End of story. It did seem a strange decision to take WLY off, maybe a mistake, but where does it end if he makes his decisions on the basis of what (some of) the crowd thinks? Total and utter chaos. Yes at the end of it, the results are what counts, but as everyone apart from some of the fans (ie. players, board, ex players, pundits, opposition managers) seem to think it''ll turn round and we''re on the wrong side of a fine line...well I tend to agree. Gettig rid of Worthy might work in our favour, it could easily not and as Saint says, it''s not a decision to be taken lightly. Sacking him now would be taking it lightly IMO. Now off to don my asbestos coat.....;-)

NMTD

The fans think that Worthy should be sacked.

Can''t agree. As far as I''m concerned its a minority - many so fickle that they change their minds as frequently as the weather. We have a fan base attending matches of well over 20,000 and many, many more just as passionate who don''t or can''t get to matches. I''m not at all sure that so many are calling for his head.

Frustrated yes.

I''m frustrated. You''re frustrated. The Board are frustrated. But lets consider what is going well.

We have retained Ashton, Huckerby and Green.

We have three excellent loan signings. Worthy bought in Lisbie immediately he lost two of his three key forwards. He has bought in Davenport for 3 months to sure up a wobbly defence - a key move that already looks shrewd. On top of Marnie for a season.

I''ve not heard anyone crticise those signings. Hughes now looks like he''s settling in to his role.

And he''s brought Doherty, McVeigh and Brennan back in - and all three are playing well. And Fleming is now out.

What more can he do.

Sure, they aren''t playing as a team and clearly Ashton and Hux are not at the top of their games. But what more can he do. He''s got the right personnel.

Now they need to gel better. I saw a match on saturday where they played better than Reading, didn''t perhaps create quite enough and had a forward on who clearly wasn''t right.

In hindsight easy to see but I wonder how many of these critics if in the same hot seat would have taken Ashton off.

Good case you make Saint (as usual).

I agree that simply saying ''Sack Worthy'' is mindless UNLESS we have (or can) identify someone else who stands a very good chance of taking the club forward. As you say any change of a manager is a risk but then, conversely, so is keeping faith with a current manager who may have gone well past his sell by date.

I have never been firmly in the ''Worthy Out'' camp but (like a lot of others) I find myself moving in that direction. His comment about the fans on Saturday was very poor and ill judged. As you say he is ''living very dangerously''.

One of the problems though is that the Board are far too close to him in terms of emotional relationship and I talked about this several weeks ago under heading ''Too much backslapping''. Munby''s comments today simply cement that belief. They are in real danger of not being able to make a rational and objective judgement about things. Much of the goodwill that has surrounded the ''Wynn Joneses'' during their time here will get quickly eroded if the current malaise continues and the Board maintain their head in the sand approach.

I think that much of the problem stems from that infuriating comment of Delia Smith last season about ...''little Norwich this and little Norwich that, who would have thought it''! We went through last season with that mindset and it is still prevailing. That sort of comment doesnt exactly inspire much in terms of ambition does it? And as for the Norwich spin doctor saying (after we had been humiliated at Fulham)  ........''I just wanted to give NW a big hug'' - that say''s it all really!    

No, it would definately be the answer. If we had a good manager like Dowie or Moyes, we could be where Palace or Everton are now! They know how to motivate their teams and win matches....

My point is, the last manager to bounce straight back was Megson. And they then got rid of him too. McLeish won the SPL last season but the fans now think he should go. In fact, you''d be hard pushed to fund a club whose fans don''t think the manager should now go - it seems that most are like that.

We on the other hand want to model ourselves on Charlton - you know, a model of consistency. Except without the consistency. What''s the point of long-term thinking if we''re going to have a knee-jerk reaction to failure. After missing out in Cardiff, we then finished 7th. Was keeping Worthy then the right thing to do? Yes, we won the league the next year.

So imagine we change managers. The new one comes in and says ''give me three years''. He sells several of our players and we start all over again. And who honestly believes that the next manager will have unremitting success? What''s the point in just changing, because as far as I can see it wouldn''t move us forward. We''re hardly likely to replace him with Morinho or O''Neill are we? We couldn''t even afford Moyes or Dowie, and they''re not even succeeding at the moment. So that leaves managers who don''t have a club, and why would they not have a club if they can achieve unremitting success?

It baffles me where some people would take things. I would rather stay the course, even if we don''t go up this season. It''s way way way too simplistic to just blame the manager and change him, there are many more people involved. Change most of the players because their heads aren''t quite right? And what of the fans? Our expectations were way too high this season (we didn''t say "100 goals, 100 points" but no doubt lots of people thought it). We have been much quieter this season (except for first 15 mins against Reading - excellent noise - but why did it die out?).