Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

It could be Ryan Giggs.............

Does shagging your brother''s wife mean you can''t be a good football manager?

I''d be more concerned at his lack of managerial experience, thank his sexual exploits.

The only way I would be happy with Giggs being announced is if he had an experienced DoF above him and also his contacts and reputation within the game would attract decent players to us, players who grew up watching Giggs at Man Utd.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]You want that type of person associated with the club, Joey Barton as his assistant aswell? That suit you ?[/quote]

I honestly couldn''t care less what people do in their personal lives as long as he was a good manager I wouldn''t give a flying.

I never get that it''s not as if you''d be having him over for dinner

All the reports around the time of him not getting the Swansea job suggests he''s a bit entitled. Also being a great player rarely equates to managerial ability.

Someone tell me why a director of football should be some sort of crutch for an inexperienced manager to lean on. Could we not have someone with at least a fair bit of experience managing under a DoF?

Len,

I would imagine a more experienced manager would be a lot more reluctant to work under a DoF, that''s the only real reason I can think of.

In response to canary Nath i was trying to say are these the type of people you want at our club saying it will be Barton next, not hard to follow mate

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]Len,

I would imagine a more experienced manager would be a lot more reluctant to work under a DoF, that''s the only real reason I can think of.[/quote]I see what you''re saying, but I''m not sure that''s true on the continent. However recruiting a foreign manager seems to be an alien concept to our board.

DoF

Another position created to someone to rip the club off for a few millions.

Easy come Easy go

Have we had a DoF before?

Wasn''t Brian Hamilton in that role?? Probably not the greatest advert for it...

If we do hire the Celtic guy then he''s not going to be acting as a managerial mentor. What it does mean is someone like Giggs or an other can concentrate on coaching and tactics while someone else takes charge of recruitment.

DoF doesnt have to be a mentor or a crutch, literally can be someone to act on Managers behalf with contract negotiations, transfers, seek out the managers targets, deal with agents and represent the football management at board meetings, on a wider scale could have an influence on type of coaching taking place, but the manager has to be responsible for the footballing style adopted throughout the club, from senior''s down to youngest age group.

Change should always be a challenge, but never a threat, IMO.

@Lessingham
Having the manager change the style of football at all levels is exactly what you don''t want, and a big part of what you are trying to avoid by having a proper DoF. if you want an example, look at Swansea over the years of their rise from League 2 to EPL. They regularly changed managers, but selected people who fitted the club''s style of play; the result was seamless progression rather than constant upheaval and having to start again every time a new manager was appointed.

@westcoast

I didn''t say have the manager change the style of play, i said the manager is responsible, by that i mean the continuity throughout the club. apologies if that came across wrong.

Also a good friend of mine (Rich Buchanan) is the performance director at Swansea, so i fully appreciate what has worked for them.

I have it on good authority that it is. Not overly pleased with this, think it''s a step backwards given his complete inexperience!

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]DoF doesnt have to be a mentor or a crutch, literally can be someone to act on Managers behalf with contract negotiations, transfers, seek out the managers targets, deal with agents and represent the football management at board meetings, on a wider scale could have an influence on type of coaching taking place, but the manager has to be responsible for the footballing style adopted throughout the club, from senior''s down to youngest age group.

Change should always be a challenge, but never a threat, IMO.[/quote]I''m not sure about the manager being responsible for the club''s style. One advantage put forward for having a DoF is to oversee all the age groups within the club, and work towards a pre-agreed style (agreed at boardroom level), especially with regard to transfers. The choice of manager would also need to be aided by consulting with the DoF.Having the manager dictate style, in particular having a new manager come in and switch from one extreme to another, would be going in the wrong direction and largely defeat the object of having a DoF.The trouble we have had under Delia & co is that we have changed from one style to the next under different managers, gone from a DoF (Bryan Hamilton) to having none and gone from a football board to to giving the manager a much larger say (Alex Neil).Whatever happens I hope we stick with a DoF instead of seeing the idea ditched within a couple of years.

[quote user="Jamie Witherspoon"]He likes to keep it in the family, so would fit in well to the Norfolk lifestyle. Yes from me.[/quote]I thought you told us two or three days ago that it was definitely going to be Woy and we should all lump on with the bookies at 5/2How''s you bet looking now?