Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

It could be Ryan Giggs.............

I don''t have a problem with Giggs, he''s surely picked up a lot of how to do the job throughout his career as player, lacy and A/M. His personal life means little to me, and why should we concentrate on the bad rather than the good, such as the fact he is/was a UNICEF amabassador. Given the right set up it could work out.

Re: Director of Football, Karsa was not far off that role under Lambert and it worked out ok.

Hodgson won''t be coming here, will be an inexperienced manager and an experienced no2.

Stone will become managing director.

Moss or someone like Mitchell as football consultant/director.

[quote user="Len"]Someone tell me why a director of football should be some sort of crutch for an inexperienced manager to lean on. Could we not have someone with at least a fair bit of experience managing under a DoF?[/quote]I would change "inexperienced" to "unexperienced" but otherwise, quite. Of all the names mentioned Giggs would be lowest on my list. Even if we have a fully-fledged continental-style DoF, who makes all the decisions about the style of play and transfers in and out, the head coach still needs to have decent coaching/managerial credentials.And it is not clear to me we are going so far down that road anyway. Our DoF may be more of an overseeing and advisory figure while the head coach is still reasonably close to the old-fashioned English notion of a manager. In that case the weak case for Giggs becomes even weaker.

I really do hope your are wrong about the new structure Purple. The Football Board (or whatever it was called) that was introduced post-Hughton was flawed in being neither one thing or the other. Surely the board have learned that half-measures don''t work [:O]

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]I really do hope your are wrong about the new structure Purple. The Football Board (or whatever it was called) that was introduced post-Hughton was flawed in being neither one thing or the other. Surely the board have learned that half-measures don''t work [:O][/quote]I didn''t make a prediction about the new structure and how far down the DoF road we plan to travel. I meant what I said - that it is not clear to me what we intend. But switching to a fully-fledged continental-style DoF would be a major step. That said, from all I have read we do plan to go markedly further than that post-Hughton structure, of which your description of half-measure is probably overstating it! That didn''t seem to me seriously to alter/limit the role of the manager. Whereas it seems as if now we do, even if not going the whole hog.

I just don''t see what reasons there might be for not going the whole hog. Two factors which might well influence the board would be if (1) adopting the DoF/Coach model were somehow incompatible with being the kind of club Norwich aspire to be, or (2) adopting it would impose unsustainable extra costs. But neither of those seem to me to apply. Indeed I would see a financial benefit ensuing in the longer term, rather than any extra burden.

As decorated as he may be as a footballer i am trying to work out why someone who has lived in Manchester for 37 of his 43 years and is a one club man would want to come to East Anglia especially as he is part owner of an up and coming non league club from that neck of the woods. If he wanted to get into management there surely are plenty of clubs within easy striking distance of his palatial multi million pound home in nearby Cheshire who would gab him up ? 

I just can''t see him being a fit at our club with his history of appearing on the front pages of the tabloids as much as on the back pages. There''s never been a whiff of scandal with our majority share-holders and I''m sure they would stay well clear of anyone who has been tarnished with alleged immoral misdemeanours.

For once, i agree with you Til, If Giggs came here it would be a stepping stone for him, no more. Great Player, but doesnt seem to have the moral compass that normal humans have. So its a non merci from me on Giggs.

"Great Player, but doesnt seem to have the moral compass that normal humans have."

I can''t be a normal human then. That''s a relief.

No wonder we are still seen as little old Norwich.

Does it matter about the man''s private life?

We want the best man to move the club forward and hopefully put us in the spotlight a bit more.

Giggs does have a ''moral compass'' but some vagabond must have place a strong magnet near to his moral compass and sent him off course.....A siren then steered him onto the rocks......Poor Giggsy......

Few more murmurings starting to surface on a possible Giggs appointment this lunchtime. But I agree with Tilly, I think he''s very much a Manchester man and unlikely to move to Norfolk, though of course that may not be the case at all and he might fancy it.

Never mind what he is like as a person, what does he know about managing championship standard players or in fact anyone outside the United bubble. His entire career has been spent with players of a similar standard to him. He''s never been in a promotion or relegation fight. Not for me thanks