Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Wenger - Will he go

Wenger to go I reckon and Shearer on MOTD thinking the same. The players don''t expect any success under him and they know its the age where the players down tools and get the manager sacked. Where would Wenger go next? French, Spanish league, maybe Germany? imao. China!

Perhaps he''s waiting for an offer from us he cant refuse. Instead of hanging around his club who have great history, but have spent too many years in the same league, yet don''t win 🏆 anymore. Tinpot!

Get the impression he''s outstayed his welcome, which will damage his legacy. Arsenal haven''t really looked like winning the league for a good few years.

Think he should have gone while back and should definitely go at the end of this season.

Wenger for Sporting Director!Never going to happen, but that would be an INCREDIBLE piece of business by the board...

He was offered a two-year deal earlier this season, but hadn''t made a decision on it at the time, and that''s the line he continued to use with reporters until after yesterday''s match.

Now he says he knows what he''s going to do and I wouldn''t be surprised if it turns out he''s staying for another season.

The man is deluded.

He could announce now that he is stepping down at the end of the season, go out and win the FA Cup and go out on a high - he would be remembered for what he has done in the past.

Or he could string it out as long as possible, lose the remaining fan support he has and end up being hated, which is what he is becoming.

I read yesterday that they had only won 2 games in the last month - against Sutton and Lincoln...

If the Arsenal supporters who want him out believe greater success than he has brought recently will automatically come their way, they are going to be disappointed. It''s amazing that so many people, including so-called pundits, are completely blinkered and apparently don''t value anything beyond a championship title. As far as staying another year, Wenger won''t go until all the "i"s are dotted and "t"s crossed on the succession so the timing is more a question of how far advanced that process is than Wenger''s predilections in the matter. 

In the late 80s/early 90s I lived in Highbury & I still know a fair number of Arsenal fans from that time (although none of them are as ITK about the process for replacing him as WCC).

Realistically they were always a big club but Wenger''s achievement was to take them up from that to a spell when they were able to win the Prem, and for a while they and Man U were the title contenders every season.  But that was quite a while ago. It''s more than a few years since Arsenal started the season with a real chance of winning the title, and it''s really a cliché that they show some bright form early on only to fall away.  And like it or not, that''s not good enough at that club, and I think his days are numbered.  I agree with the comment that he would be better off announcing this will be his last season and see if they can win the cup.  Staying on till next season will probably end badly for him.

Ultimately Arsenal are one of the clubs who''s fans feel (with some justice) they should be competing for the title, yet they are failing to do so.  TBF, Wenger has had plenty of time when they''ve been out of contention, and has tried to deal with it e.g. with some big signings after being notorious for not doing that. 

Will a replacement be able to do better than him ?  Anyone''s guess, and yes a change won''t automatically give success.  But in football, that''s not how it works.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]Ultimately Arsenal are one of the clubs who''s fans feel (with some justice) they should be competing for the title, yet they are failing to do so.[/quote]Tell me again exactly how a CONSTANT top four finish isn''t challenging for the title???They were SECOND last season FFS, not to mention they''ve won the FA cup twice in the last 3 seasons!Arsenal fans are some of the most over-entitled jackasses at times, they quickly forgot the golden period with Henry and the invincibles, they forget how Wenger has maintained parity with the other clubs despite spending a fraction of what they have on transfers, they ignore that Wenger has brought them guaranteed Champions League football EVERY SINGLE SEASON, and they seem unable to appreciate exactly how good a manager they have and exactly what he brings to their club.It''s a total joke IMHO, this guy is a guiding light as to what good, financially viable management in the modern game really is, but as per usual, if it''s not a title every year or two, these spoilt brats want to kick off and demand changes.Arsenal should be changing their fans rather than their manager tbh...

Indy_Bones, I completely agree with you that Arsenal should change their fans - utter morons... But for me, if I was an Arsenal fan then I would think Wenger should go. I understand they''ve finished top 4 every year for god knows how long, but they also didn''t win a trophy for 8 years was it? (mind you they reached a Champions League Final in one of those years?) Finishing top 4 is great, if you can progress in the competition - which they simply haven''t done, if obvious improvements were made in the league, which they haven''t. I realise they haven''t spent the money other clubs have, but they have had the funds to. Look at their central defence: Mertesacker, Koscielny, Mustafi & Gabriel. Koscielny & Mustafi the favoured pair at the moment, and that is not a title winning defence. Then Gibbs and Bellerin as full-backs. Again, definitely not title winning. He has had so much time to sort this out and hasn''t.

To sum up, because I''m waffling a bit, Arsenal are showing no progression - they do the same thing literally every season (challenging at Christmas, fall away in February/March). Even their football is turning dire and predictable. But it is because of the pure lack of progression over a number of years I think he should go. A club with the amount of resources as Arsenal should be challenging and progressing, but they are simply not. Look at the other teams around them, Chelsea - progressing, Man Utd, progressing after a couple transition years, Man City - definitely will progress, Liverpool - progressing, Spurs - progressing and Everton - progressing.

Don''t get me wrong, he has done a fantastic job at Arsenal, but I think it''s just getting a bit stale.

Who cares? He once had a great team in the noughties that went unbeaten an entire season blahdy blahdy blah. Quite right, but since then it''s been a steady downward decline for Arsenal who have continually failed to replace key players who have departed with quality replacements. They''re where they are in the league because the long and short of it is that''s how good their squad is. They''ve regularly failed to challenge for the title and in Europe because of this. How much of that is Wengers fault? Who knows - but I do feel this is the tail end of his Arsenal career. A shame how football has changed, probably never again will we see managers like him and Fergie who stay at clubs for long periods - there''s just not patience or commitment in football any longer, and for me that''s a shame. Instant success is the demand now.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]Ultimately Arsenal are one of the clubs who''s fans feel (with some justice) they should be competing for the title, yet they are failing to do so.[/quote]Tell me again exactly how a CONSTANT top four finish isn''t challenging for the title???

They were SECOND last season FFS, not to mention they''ve won the FA cup twice in the last 3 seasons!

Arsenal fans are some of the most over-entitled jackasses at times, they quickly forgot the golden period with Henry and the invincibles, they forget how Wenger has maintained parity with the other clubs despite spending a fraction of what they have on transfers, they ignore that Wenger has brought them guaranteed Champions League football EVERY SINGLE SEASON, and they seem unable to appreciate exactly how good a manager they have and exactly what he brings to their club.

It''s a total joke IMHO, this guy is a guiding light as to what good, financially viable management in the modern game really is, but as per usual, if it''s not a title every year or two, these spoilt brats want to kick off and demand changes.

Arsenal should be changing their fans rather than their manager tbh...
[/quote]

Being in the top 4 and challenging for the title are different things, if you don''t have a realistic chance of winning the title, then you''re not challenging for it, even if you get into the top 4.  And that''s exactly where Arsenal are and have been for quite some time now.

Last season perfectly proved the point.  All the teams that have won the title recently took themselves out of the running, leaving the perfect opportunity for Arsenal to take it, but exactly like every other season they fell out of the running, and only ended up scraping into second place because of the way Spurs blew up at the end.

It''s a bit silly to talk about them not getting a title "every year or two" - I''m pretty sure they last won it in 2004 ? 

Talking of Highbury, I remember seeing Hucks score a nice goal there back in the 2004/5 season, for anyone else in attendance that day, remarkably, we witnessed 1 of only 3 hatricks that Thierry Henry scored for Arsenal (I think that''s right anyway without checking wiki etc?).

Btw Wenger to go at the end of the season.