Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Ricky Martin

Anybody know what he does ? I bet he''s on a walloping salary, least £200,000 a year, just seems to move around the board without actually doing much.

Been wondering that myself. I thought he did a lot of the stuff the new sporting director will do. So what tasks will now make up the technical director role I''m not sure.

Ricky Martin - Sporting Director

Alan Irvine - Head Coach

My hunch, especially as we creep nearer the playoff places. AI didn''t want the Manager job, but Head Coach................????

I hope not, but would be inline with our recent displays of ambition. And Nephew Tom incharge..

Alan Curbishley was technical director at Fulham couple of seasons ago,so Mr Martin must have some kind of hold on the board to even entertain his elevation to this position

[quote user="percy varco"]Ricky Martin - Sporting Director

Alan Irvine - Head Coach

My hunch, especially as we creep nearer the playoff places. AI didn''t want the Manager job, but Head Coach................????

I hope not, but would be inline with our recent displays of ambition. And Nephew Tom incharge..[/quote]The latest club statement, issued several hours ago, in effect says Ricky Martin will be remain as technical director and be part of the team, along with whoever is the head coach, reporting to the sporting director. Of course that club statement could be a Trump-style lie, but otherwise it is hard to see how Martin is going to be chosen as sporting director when the club has already said he will be subordinate to the sporting director.

I think he is a bit like Kenny Lynch of bygone yearsno one knew what he did, or what he was famous forbar being Tarbuck''s matewe got him on telly quite a bit

Here''s an example of what a football Technical Director typically does:
"The technical director role is generally different to that of a director of football, a position which usually involves overseeing the signing of players. 

The technical director looks after a whole host of things that offer an element of continuity above and beyond the to-ing and fro-ing of individual managers. The role tends to include, and this is by no means a comprehensive list: responsibility for and the overseeing of the academy, the training ground, the infrastructure, medical, physiotherapy, conditioning, fitness, nutrition, hydration, rest, well being, and culture and behavioural standards within the club."

Obviously the precise remit will vary, but this gives a good general idea. 

For those familiar with business structures, the Technical Director is in effect a services manager overseeing the club''s technical support services. 

Purple is right. RM - if he is Technical Director reporting into a Sporting Director , then the remit of the SD will include those areas that RM is working in, probably in a more Operational Role (i.e. he actually does it) . The Club have announced that Martin will be subservient to the SD - the impression of some on this thread is that means a division of responsibility but this is not so. Martin will be working for the SD . He will cut up the oranges under the remit of the SD.

The names of the jobs are now getting a bit misleading. Martin as Technical Director, reporting into a Sporting Director who themselves aren''t on the board is a bit of a misnomer. Companies these days like to throw the word "director" around too much - in my book a Director is registered at Companies House (with all the pain that goes with it!) , other wise you are a manager . We now have a Managing Director that doesn''t sit on the Board; a bit of modern day business nonsense in my book.

This is of course all about roles rather than titles. We still search for the personnel for the Football side of the business.

Will Ricky Martin have an official club clipboard plus a biro for doodling? Oh and also a paper tray on his desk marked ''PROCRASTINATING''.....?

It may well transpire over time, and depending on who is appointed Sporting Director, their expertise and requirements, that the Technical Director role will become obsolete?

Flashman wrote the following post at 18/03/2017 10:37 PM:

I think he is a bit like Kenny Lynch of bygone years

no one knew what he did, or what he was famous for

bar being Tarbuck''s mate

we got him on telly quite a bit

Add Dickie henderson to that list 😁

this where it might go very wrong

say the New Sporting Director things he knows a better man than RM for the T director role can he get rid of RM or does he have to keep him ?

[quote user="norfolkngood"]this where it might go very wrong

say the New Sporting Director things he knows a better man than RM for the T director role can he get rid of RM or does he have to keep him ?[/quote] Instead of fretting about what might go very wrong, isn''t it possible to just welcome a development that might go very right? 

Amazing how people have it in for Ricky Martin despite confessing they have no idea what he does.

From the outside it actually seems he has always done a pretty good job in the roles he has had. He was in charge of the academy which produced an FA Youth Cup winning side, he worked in identifying and recruiting young players for the youth sides which saw Norwich bring in Toffolo from Chelsea, Godfrey from York, Thompson from Swindon etc. I was also told he was key in identifying Maddison and a large part of the success in signing him.

So while he has never had a particularly public facing role he has been a large factor in work behind the scenes - primarily in getting the club a Cat 1 rated academy.

Maybe people should actually try to educate themselves before having a pop at people.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Amazing how people have it in for Ricky Martin despite confessing they have no idea what he does.

From the outside it actually seems he has always done a pretty good job in the roles he has had. He was in charge of the academy which produced an FA Youth Cup winning side, he worked in identifying and recruiting young players for the youth sides which saw Norwich bring in Toffolo from Chelsea, Godfrey from York, Thompson from Swindon etc. I was also told he was key in identifying Maddison and a large part of the success in signing him.

So while he has never had a particularly public facing role he has been a large factor in work behind the scenes - primarily in getting the club a Cat 1 rated academy.

Maybe people should actually try to educate themselves before having a pop at people.[/quote]

👍👍👍

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Amazing how people have it in for Ricky Martin despite confessing they have no idea what he does.

Maybe people should actually try to educate themselves before having a pop at people.[/quote]

How long has he been at the club, not one of those players mentioned is a 1st team player.

The club needs quality players who will make the 1st team better now. Not in years to come or never never land.

Yeah, but first team players was never his remit.

He was in charge of the academy and youth teams, which has seen both Jacob and Josh progress into the first team.

The club needs to think long and short term, many of the problems it faces at the moment are from not looking more than 6 months ahead.

Problem is Bethnal, some of the...ahem...intellectually challenged around here cannot comprehend the fact that not knowing what someone does doesn''t always equate to them doing nothing.

The current attitude is summed up when I suggested that Ricky Martin be given a seat on the board. Til1010 replied with a large frightened face emoji.

This is Ricky Martin Role at NCFC.

Reverting to his current role in the summer of 2014 following the creation of the Football Executive Board, Martin forms a key part of the support staff working alongside the manager.

Don''t get me wrong but I never once heard Neil Adams, Mike Phelan, Alex Neil say how well they were supported by the Technical Manager. But the main act is always sacked and the support act remains - strange.

I wonder how many top class contacts in professional football he has when never leaving the eastern region to play football or work in football.

Another prime example of NCFC being run like a corner shop rather than a multi million pound business.

[quote user="simmo_2"]This is Ricky Martin Role at NCFC.

Reverting to his current role in the summer of 2014 following the creation of the Football Executive Board, Martin forms a key part of the support staff working alongside the manager.

Don''t get me wrong but I never once heard Neil Adams, Mike Phelan, Alex Neil say how well they were supported by the Technical Manager. [/quote]Has any manager ever singled out a particular role like ''Technical Manager''? Fergie, Wenger, Klopp, Mick McCarthy, Hughton, any of them?

[quote user="simmo_2"]This is Ricky Martin Role at NCFC.

Don''t get me wrong but I never once heard Neil Adams, Mike Phelan, Alex Neil say how well they were supported by the Technical Manager. But the main act is always sacked and the support act remains - strange.

I wonder how many top class contacts in professional football he has when never leaving the eastern region to play football or work in football.

Another prime example of NCFC being run like a corner shop rather than a multi million pound business.[/quote]So his role at NCFC is to be "a key part of the support staff working alongside the manager"? Thank you for that hugely enlightening bit of information simmo. Just one question: have you ever seen an advert for a job at a corner shop describe the role as being "to form a key part of the support staff working alongside the manager"? I rather think it would be for an assistant manager, or stock keeper, or sales assistant ...........

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="simmo_2"]This is Ricky Martin Role at NCFC.

Another prime example of NCFC being run like a corner shop rather than a multi million pound business.[/quote]So his role at NCFC is to be "a key part of the support staff working alongside the manager"? Thank you for that hugely enlightening bit of information simmo. Just one question: have you ever seen an advert for a job at a corner shop describe the role as being "to form a key part of the support staff working alongside the manager"? I rather think it would be for an assistant manager, or stock keeper, or sales assistant ...........[/quote]

That was just cut and pasted from club statement when he moved into that position in 2014.

Corner shop statement is how club is run in general compared to other clubs.

[quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="simmo_2"]This is Ricky Martin Role at NCFC.

Another prime example of NCFC being run like a corner shop rather than a multi million pound business.[/quote]So his role at NCFC is to be "a key part of the support staff working alongside the manager"? Thank you for that hugely enlightening bit of information simmo. Just one question: have you ever seen an advert for a job at a corner shop describe the role as being "to form a key part of the support staff working alongside the manager"? I rather think it would be for an assistant manager, or stock keeper, or sales assistant ...........[/quote]

That was just cut and pasted from club statement when he moved into that position in 2014.

Corner shop statement is how club is run in general compared to other clubs.[/quote]So are able to give a detailed description of his and the other support staff roles and why they are not necessary?