Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Darrell Clark

My dad randomly mentioned he''d heard his name from someone as a potential managerial target. He''s definitely not someone I''d describe as ''ITK'' but it''s an interesting new name.

He''s at Bristol Rovers, taken from the conference to league one with back to back promotions and currently has them just outside the League One playoffs. Already works under a Director of Football and apparently they play good football.

Anyone else heard him mentioned?

I hadn''t heard him mentioned, but I had identified him as a possible target. He turned down the Leeds job in the summer to stay at Rovers – reckon he''s probably taken them as far as he can now, and the NCFC ownership model is surely more attractive than Leeds. Clarke under a DOF such as Hodgson would be excellent. Would''ve thought that we''d be a more attractive proposition for Warburton than Forest, but maybe the new structure wasn''t to his liking...

Doing a very good job at Bristol Rovers.

Uwe Rosler doing a great job at Fleetwood.

Nathan Jones at Luton.

Some good up and coming names there but would be very risky moves there.

What about Paul Tisdale at Exeter who is probably a better managing job than anyone. He really is hands on considering he has to weigh in with the laundry etc as they can''t afford to many wages on the payroll.

And Phil Brown, prem league experience is doing a great job at Southend.

[quote user="king canary"]My dad randomly mentioned he''d heard his name from someone as a potential managerial target. He''s definitely not someone I''d describe as ''ITK'' but it''s an interesting new name.

He''s at Bristol Rovers, taken from the conference to league one with back to back promotions and currently has them just outside the League One playoffs. Already works under a Director of Football and apparently they play good football.

Anyone else heard him mentioned?[/quote]
This is probably a great shout Kingo. Not sure how old your Dad is but we have had success with this sort of appointment before. In fact most of our successful managers have been like this from lower leagues or promoted from within.

@nuttty

For his sins my dad grew up a Tottenham fan and even attended Ipswich games when his family moved down here. It was only when I as the black sheep of the family decided I preferred Norwich that he got dragged over to this side!

@gjp

I live around Cambridge and have been to the Abbey a couple of times this season. My understanding is the Cambridge fans aren''t totally convinced by Derry.

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 13/03/2017 2:24 PM:

Nathan Jones has been gone too long ...

Was he talking Italian, or was that Robert de Nero???

My mate is a Gashead and says they are delighted with Clark.

While Trollope, sound familiar, was their manger they played attractive but lightweight football, But after had a succession of more long ball up to a lanky striker managers.

But Clark, who did very well with Salisbury in non-league has returned to playing on the ground and attacking stuff.

[quote user="king canary"]@nuttty

For his sins my dad grew up a Tottenham fan and even attended Ipswich games when his family moved down here. It was only when I as the black sheep of the family decided I preferred Norwich that he got dragged over to this side![/quote]
You must be the apple of his eye Kingo. I wouldn''t change my team on Duncan''s say so and I love him to bits[;)]

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]My mate is a Gashead and says they are delighted with Clark.

While Trollope, sound familiar, was their manger they played attractive but lightweight football, But after had a succession of more long ball up to a lanky striker managers.

But Clark, who did very well with Salisbury in non-league has returned to playing on the ground and attacking stuff.[/quote]Good stuff, thanks for that [Y]

I would definitely support this kind of appointment, particularly if we going down the DoF route as well. No guarantees of success of course, but then there never will be, regardless who we appoint.

Rumours of this happening resurfacing again today. His record over many seasons is quite outstanding so he''s no flash in the plan, plus his sides play good football. Hope we genuinely are looking at him 👍

It''s in The Sun today, Morgan - page 52 👍. Probably nonsense, but hey, speculation is all part of the message board.

Huh. Maybe my dad is ITK.

There was an excellent article about him on the site ''In Bed with Maradona'' which makes him sound amazing.

Link is here- can''t do clicky as on my phone

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2017/3/17/darrell-clarke-one-of-the-football-leagues-brightest-managers

While not wanting to ruin the fun of speculation, surely any names being mentioned before a Sporting Director (who will be leading the recruitment for the new manager) is appointed are likely to be wide of the mark or just guess work?

Reads a bit like AN before he joined us: young, plays attractive football, punches above his weight....