Sign in to follow this  
Big O

Squad next season

Be interested in getting people''s thoughts on what the make up of the squad will be next season.

My thoughts just to provoke the debate are as follows:

Goalkeepers

McGovern - not a huge fan but decent, contracted till 19 so will stay

Matthews - bright prospect

Another keeper to come in

I think the others will all leave, Rudd at the age where if he is t first choice there is no point him being here, ruddy too expensive in wages.

Defenders

Pinto - no brainer

Martin - can''t see anyone wanting him

Bennett - be strange to let him go at 27 - so last chance

Toffolo - cover at left back

The rest all to go aslong as we can get good cash for Klose. Meaning a number of astute signings needed

Mid

Howson - no brainer

Dorrans - useful player, under contract

Thompson

I think tettey will go with the right offer as will mulumbu, 2 needed in here.

Attacking Mid

Hoolahan - last year, will be important still

Pritchard - will be 1st choice creator in chief

Murphy''s x2 - def be here

Wildshut - looking a strange signing but will be given a chance

Maddison - bright prospect

We will want to shift the rest on, meaning we will look to see if Middleton is getting close to the first team. We might struggle to shift Naismith and Jarvis too

Strikers

I''ll be controversial bit I''d keep Olivera, Jerome and Morris, we may bring in one more dependant on playing style

With that number out, it''s going to be a big summer - thoughts?

Think your probably not far off there, reckon we might hang onto Tettey (although i wouldn''t as its time to replace the old guard).All depends on who we can get rid of, Klose, Naismith, Andreu & Jarvis all on a good wage here and who would come in for them.A big rebuilding job is required, was probably AN''s down fall last summer as he couldnt get rid of who he wanted to. Unlike this summer with Ruddy, Rudd, Whittaker, Bassong, Turner, Mulumbu & Lafferty all out of contract. I mean thats probably £125k a week there.From the sounds of things this guy we want from Huddersfield recruited Wagner because he wanted a manager who would give younger players & foreigners a chance. You only have to look at there squad and see the oldest player theyve signed since Wagner took over is 27 and they only have 3 players 30+ in the squad and none of those are starters. We have 13.

Swindon - there is plenty of talent there but clearly the back four is critical to sort. We have to build a base to play from away from home so we probably need a couple of combatitive midfielders who can optionally play wide too so we can make ourselves tough to beat and hope we have the quality to nick a goal.

A nasty centre half with some pace is I think everyone''s priority!

I don''t disagree Duncan but we won''t want to keep turner or bassong, Klose may well get some interest.

It would be dangerous unless we have some lined up already to let Bennett go too. Martin and Bennett wouldn''t be disastrous squad players. Martin can play full-back as cover for Pinto and Bennett may yet be a late bloomer (we can hope).

I think in addition to the early post, we have to identify some leaders.

If we''re going to play the Huddersfield way, I can''t see Bennett fitting in - that almighty hoof in the second half on Saturday brought a chuckle from everyone where I sit! I''d really like us to persuade Klose to stay and build a confident, capable defence around him, Pinto and a new first choice left back, assuming Dijks doesn''t stay.

Up front, we need some pace and something different to someone who runs the channels and holds up play. However, scoring goals hasn''t been our problem this season, so perhaps we don''t need to do much tweaking there?

I can see us keeping Bennett as we need to have some cover, we have an option in his contract and I imagine he''ll be cheaper than the others.

Woodman definitely right about the striker, need someone else to go with Jerome & Oliviera. Quick striker, a Nakhi Wells type.

I''d also like to see us mix it up now and again & play two up front if the situation suited. Or there are times when we''re chasing a game when we need more than one striker. Jerome and Oliveira are great in their own right, but not together.

I''d keep Benno for cover too ( sorry Duncan lol ) think we need 5 players minimum

2 centre backs (Benno & Russ for cover)

Left Back (Toffolo for comp)

Right back ( cover for Pinto )

Striker ( to challenge Nelson/Jerome )

Replacement for Tettey if he goes

To define the squad next year, you have to ask what is the main objective.

1) If it is to stand a realistic chance of promotion to the Prem next season, then a new LB, 2 new CBs, and a RB, and possibly a goalkeeper are needed as a minimum (None of our keepers are showing consistency in judgement, catching and punching.) 5 players need to be signed, in my judgement. Given that our last umbrella payment will be nowhere enough, then even adding any sales proceeds, will mean that we would have enough money to buy two useful players or one outstanding, in my view we would e very fortunate to achieve promotion. We would probably have sign two good strikers - Oliveira is unknown at this level and Jerome has shown that he probably isn''t good enough.

2) If it is to make sure of promotion eventually, with resources to stay there this time, then we may have to be patient and go with a team not quite good enough but one which allows subsequent building. We have made some very interesting, sometimes expensive, efforts to build a nucleus. I think especially of the young players, and those in U23, U21, U18, etc who have cost us money, but offer us real potential. So a year or two more could produce a squad capable of promotion and also of staying there also.

The second option was the one which McNally laid out, even in Lambert''s time. It didn''t work because we were promoted too soon to be able to remain in the Prem.

The second option would require more patience but probably less (signing) money. There is also the risk that when senior players leave, Wes, Dorrans, Howson, Tettey, Ruddy, we are unable to replace them within our budget. But this risk applies to the first proposal, as we have seen once or twice in the past in the immediate past.

These are the issues which the Board must resolve, plus that of finding extra cash to make significant signings when our ow development does not produce solutions.

I disagree that Jerome and Oliveira aren''t good enough for Championship football. 14 league goals for Jerome from 33 appearances, 8 for Oliveira in 20. If he''d stayed fit and avoided the silly sending off, I think he''d have had 4 or 5 more.

Someone like Tammy Abraham would be brilliant on loan next season.

Completely agree Woodman. I think most Championship sides would bite our hands off to get Jerome and Oliviera.

Lafferty''s contract is up so we need another striker and it would be good to see someone a bit different to what we already have come in.

I always find this website is intriguing as the values are always way lower than the figures agreed for players -

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/norwich-city/startseite/verein/1123/saison_id/2016

I wonder how much we would get for Naismith? £4 mil? Klose? £8 mil?

I should imagine if anyone offered £12m for those 2 we would Bite there hands off. Probably take about £6m for Klose and about £2m for Naismith.