Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

Berating Jacob

Just to comment on the story from the home page...

This type of behaviour has happened all too often towards Jacob and has gotten quite loud and abusive around where I sit (city stand, away dugout).

For some reason he''s become a bit of a scapegoat and some fans think it''s a good idea to criticise all too openly one of our brightest young prospects. Do those fans realise how he''ll feel when hearing that? How the rest of the team and squad will feel when hearing that? It''s one thing to chant at a manager for stupid decisions or a team for lack of effort after a game, but during, at a player giving his all, learning and improving his game and doing a pretty damn good job of it this season??

Completely agree with Howsons comments... Moronic behaviour and those ''fans'' really need to look hard at themselves and realise the damage they''re causing.

Just started a thread saying the same thing, pretty much. Have never understood in game booing, never mind first half booing, unless by absolute exception (Colchester''s fifth goal might have given me reason to boo).

It is mindless and destructive to berate your own players, particularly the younger ones. So much of the game is to do with confidence, which booing damages.

It''s disgusting but then again it came from the snake pit which seems to have somehow collectively lowered it''s total IQ year on year.

First full season for us, scoring, what, 10 from midfield already? And he''s getting booed? We have some bloody weird ''supporters''. It''s stuff like this that will be the only reason I''ll ever be embarrassed to be an NCFC supporter. But rest assured, the VAST majority of Canaries love him, and I hope he''s well aware of it. Mindless idiots at every club unfortunately, but we still generally have brilliant supporters on the whole 👍

I''ll boo if there is a lack of effort. Nothing else.

Well said Jonny, it needed saying, and maybe will get some positive support.

I also get fed up with the Whittaker bashing. He''ll play anywhere he''s asked, always gives 100%, and the link up with Redmond .at Wembley for the second goal conveniently forgotten. Get off his back as well.

Personally think Jacob is improving game by game.....tracking back and getting his foot in......As long as he''s putting the ball in the net and contributing on the pitch, why berate?

Hopefully he recognises that those types of supporters are probably the same as the Whittaker bashers; angry idiots who struggle to put a coherent sentence together but seem to think they are very witty and that everyone else needs to hear it.

Of course Jacob has areas to improve upon, but he has had as much (if not more) end product this season than Redmond did in the Championship; the latter is now considered full England material.

Exactly king canary

It was a 10 second chant, mocking the effort which caused a chuckle in all 4 corners of the ground. Murphy himself probably laughed, and a few of the players probably did.

Jacob has mocked it himself on Twitter.

The players will probably slaughter him for it in training, if they haven''t done so already.

[quote user="FCC"]I''ll boo if there is a lack of effort. Nothing else.

Well said Jonny, it needed saying, and maybe will get some positive support.

I also get fed up with the Whittaker bashing. He''ll play anywhere he''s asked, always gives 100%, and the link up with Redmond .at Wembley for the second goal conveniently forgotten. Get off his back as well.[/quote]preciselyan unsung hero who as you say " He''ll play anywhere he''s asked, always gives 100%,"and can score 3.45 sec as seen late here and a cracking shot 3.15 sec and even a bit of Stanley Mathews style wizardy on 1.52 secsagainst Everton with both feetbut best of all is his skipping past the useless Mings v binners play off semi final (1.25)wins the ball on the right, beats bambi and was in a position to put the ball home had Redmond passed rather than shooting

Great. Got any highlights of his defending?

''Will play anywhere he''s asked and gives 100%'' is great but it is the minimum I''d expect.

As per usual it''s people making a massive issue out of nothing, Was harmless, just a joke.

It''s bit like that game Neil played Whittaker in centre midfield, he got subbed off and people cheered. But the way people went on was as if he was booed off and jeered every time he touched the ball Etc.

[quote user="Move Klose"]As per usual it''s people making a massive issue out of nothing, Was harmless, just a joke.

It''s bit like that game Neil played Whittaker in centre midfield, he got subbed off and people cheered. But the way people went on was as if he was booed off and jeered every time he touched the ball Etc.[/quote]

So yesterday''s incident was a joke, what about the other numerous occasions this season? So no, its definitely not making an issue out of nothing.

We all want the best possible players at the club and consistent behaviour like this won''t help and is particularly disgraceful against a player who''s been through our youth system and played his way into the first team.

Jacobs having an excellent first full season in the team. Yes he should have had more of a rest at times but his effort and talent is undeniable and should be encouraged, not frequently criticised.

Didn''t say booed. Criticised. Numerous occasions this season. Can only speak for where I sit in the ground but I''ve had more than one argument with ''fans'' around me for their stupid behaviour towards him.

I agree lots of people are over the top in the criticism of him. I wonder if it is something to do with our fans attitude to wingers- Redmond got the same treatment.

Jacob went on to score a very good goal. So it didn''t dent his confidence.

These things happen during games and hopefully he''ll be thick skinned enough to see it as nothing more than banter from the stands. Howson does have a point though, you would normally expect that kind of chant to be aimed at the opposition.

As it is, I think most fans are delighted with the emergence of both Jacob and Josh. Both have shown they can create and score goals, which makes them a real asset.

The general feeling seems to be that something amazing happens every time he gets the ball. If he doesn''t go on a blistering run beating 2 or 3 then he''s rubbish and should be taken off. Like you say, Redmond was treated similarly.

I agree overall fans must be more than pleased with the way both Murphys have progressed. But they will both have offers from other clubs at some point (if not already) and the needless criticism is unnecessary and potential damaging.

Surely they can be criticised as much as any other played though?

They are in the first team so they should expect to be criticised like any other professional footballer. Its how they deal with that criticism going forward and develop their game because of it. They should not be completely immune.

However, I agree that some people go way over the top - but I have heard this about almost every other player as well this season

Ok, forgetting who he is, youth system etc, I don''t believe Jacob has deserved the level of criticism he''s received. Yes he should be treated as any in the team but a lot in the squad have escaped any negativity whilst Jacob, having a great season (2nd highest scorer and assists) cannot escape criticism in most home games.