Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Heckingbottom

@GJL

Was Lambert not also an experiment? Worthy?

The last two highly experienced managers we appointed were Roeder and Hughton. Want them back?

I wouldnt have said Lambert was an experiment, he had a fewyears under his belt at wycombe and colchester, Hughton was a "safe pair of hands" who kept us up in his first season.

This forthcoming season is crucial, and the last where we have an advantage over "most" of the league with one more year of parachute payments.

I''d rather not roll the dice with Heckingbottom....

Well who isn''t rolling the dice?

You could argue Heckingbottom has achieved significantly more than Lambert had when he took over(won the JPT, won the League One playoffs, managed in the championship).

...I just dont see that Heckingbottom has done or is doing anything that would warrant coming in and replacing Alex Neil?

...dont get me wrong, I don''t want Neil here either but the official line that came out of Carrow Rd upon his sacking was that the club were re-structuring their system and that it was unanimously decided that Alex Neil wasn''t the man to take us forward under this new regime....I would have liked to have hoped that after that kind of statement ,we would be looking at better than both Neil and Heckingbottom?!?

GJL I agree with you to an extent. The big question is we don''t ATM know who is coming in. We know its going to be a DOF or whatever with a coach under him. Who they are is yet to be announced, Heckingbottom on his own would fill me with dread, but with someone above him to oversee things, who knows. I suppose its down to the first position being filled as to what we need under him. Personally, I feel that having a DOF and a coach under him undermines the coaches position and doesn''t work. Liverpool early Nineteen springs to mind.

Well it seems so, MB doesn''t write things unless he knows. My biggest concern is that we have the management team, whoever they may be, in place before the end of the season so they can rebalance the squad as is needed. A sort out is obviously needed but it needs to be done by someone who has seen the whole squad and judge from there.

Having said that, tbh, I wouldn''t be that surprised to see Alan Irvine given the job, not my first choice but can see some sense in it.

OldRobert wrote the following post at 2017-03-25 8:54 PM:

Also underwhelmed if true. Probably cheaper.

I wouldn''t be too sure of that. Irvine is the cheap option imo and far more underwhelming g, but I would say his odds, and where he is now, means the owner traditions will see him given the position. He''s already gone along with the party line in stating that he would be happy to work the role they are seeking to fill! Watch this space, double announcement this week probably.

I''m of the opinion experience can be pretty overrated. Looking at the top 6 you''ve got Rafa and Hughton but outside of them it''s younger managers leading the way.

There''s no way Irvine will get the job permanently, hardly going to appoint this guy from Huddersfield and then appoint Irvine. He will want someone in he wants to work with too. Probably mostly will be up to him who comes in as head coach.

The only reason Irvines odds are so low is because a) He''s currently in the job & b) On sky bet the pay out if a caretaker takes charge of 10 games, and that''s how many games we had left when he took over.

Another potential advantage of Irvine as caretaker is that it may be easier to get people that we want at the end of the season when everything has been resolved - who knows Leeds could even sack Monk if he doesn''t get them promoted!

Heckingbottom has done well considering the resources at hit disposal as to if he can take it to another level who knows. As for Irvine he is probably out of the picture but if he did the near impossible and got another 5 or 6 wins against all the odds opinion and pundits it would be hard not to give him the job

Heckingbottom has already done more as a head coach/manager than Lambert had done before (and since) his stint at NCFC, so I can''t see the issue on that score. His side has looked good this season and but for financial restraints losing them several key players in Jan, they''d surely still be higher than us in the table.

My main concern with lots of the names being mentioned for the Head Coach role is the potential lack of respect for them from some of our ''senior'' players.

I think AN ended up in this category, after a whirlwind start that drove us to promotion, but it waned in the second half of the Prem season and most of this one.

Whoever gets appointed is going to need to gain their respect through their coaching, tactics and motivation - though of course, many of those senior players might not be here next season.