Sign in to follow this  
staffordshire canary

32 years ago today....

I still have my ticket£5Watford away in 72 lives long in my memories

[quote user="staffordshire canary"]Milk cup win v Sunderland.Only surpassed by the Play off final win in my ''I was there" Norwich games.Great days and Great memories.[/quote]

Sadly such occasions are only memories now. No chance of replication as long as the Stowmarket 2 continue to hang around. Will probably put a clause in the boy Webber''s contract to say exiting the cups is a must do every season.

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="staffordshire canary"]Milk cup win v Sunderland.Only surpassed by the Play off final win in my ''I was there" Norwich games.Great days and Great memories.[/quote]

Sadly such occasions are only memories now. No chance of replication as long as the Stowmarket 2 continue to hang around. Will probably put a clause in the boy Webber''s contract to say exiting the cups is a must do every season.[/quote]what would you say was the reason for your lot''s failurea good few years longer than us, as well ?the Stowmarket 2, perhaps ?

[quote user="Big Vince"]Sadly such occasions are only memories now.[/quote]Don''t you lot call it "history" Vinnie?http://www.wheeliebins.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/smelly_wheelie_bin.jpg

In a small, quirky (to me, anyway) sort of, coincidence. I have seen us win at Wembley twice, once was my Sister''s birthday, and the other occasion, was my Mum''s Birthday.

In other news..........................

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Big Vince"]Sadly such occasions are only memories now.[/quote]Don''t you lot call it "history" Vinnie?http://www.wheeliebins.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/smelly_wheelie_bin.jpg[/quote]you omit the adjective gloriousa glorious historyps what would a fiver be worth now£15.. £20 ?

If my memory serves me well, We ''took'' the Rookery before the game started.

[quote user="Les"]If my memory serves me well, We ''took'' the Rookery before the game started.[/quote]I think it was more a case of seeing hundreds rushing towards them across the mud might have suggested that a wiser move was not to remain in said ''Rookery''Those hundreds turned into thousandsAnd the naughty fans were back on the pitch (perimeter) before the game finishedStopped off a few jars in Newmarket back from Wembley.. City fans everywhere. Bumped into an old school friend not seen in yonks, Both greetings were on the lines of ''what are you doing here ?''

When we charged the Rookery, I remember a loan copper trying to hold back the tide and his helmet coming off and being used as a football.

My wife and I had our picture on the back of the Monday evening news stood next to the Pride of Anglia flag.

We started boozing in Thetford as the England v Germany match was on the TV.

Certainly very exciting times, never to be forgotten.

Even better the following season, our first ever in the top tier.

I remember going to Newcastle on a footy special train offer, all of £2.50 return😨 We had less than 60 seconds to change trains at Peterborough due to delay leaving Norwich caused by a brake fault.

[quote user="Les"]Certainly very exciting times, never to be forgotten.

I remember going to Newcastle on a footy special train offer, all of £2.50 return😨 We had less than 60 seconds to change trains at Peterborough due to delay leaving Norwich caused by a brake fault.[/quote]Yes Les, that next season in Div 1 I went to Leeds by air in an old Dakota DC3 from Norwich Airport. It cost a tenner including the match ticket. First time I had ever flown and it was somewhat disconcerting when we boarded the plane a mechanic had one of the engine cowlings open and was bashing something with a large spanner. Precision engineering they called it in those days, but it was great experience even though we lost 2-0.

and we used to get your match report first hand on the monday morning.

[quote user="Les"]and we used to get your match report first hand on the monday morning.[/quote]But now you get ''em within 90 minutes of the match finishing thanks to the miracle of modern communications.It would be quicker by I take longer to stroll home these days.[:D]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Les"]and we used to get your match report first hand on the monday morning.[/quote]But now you get ''em within 90 minutes of the match finishing thanks to the miracle of modern communications.It would be quicker by I take longer to stroll home these days.[:D]

[/quote] typical... me me meotherwise I remember a much earlier report getting out, as the first pinkuns used to be dropped off beside the kiosk at the bottom of Surrey Street around 5.25 -35 pm that Saturdaythey must have been typsetting the report as the game was being played - it was all ''hot metal'' back thengreat days, as buses headed out across the county would have their pinkuns to drop off along the wayodd looking back, it didn''t seem old fashioned and certainly showed how folk sort of just got on with things instead of the endless whining you get now

There was often a queue in our paper shop in Rosary Rd waiting for the Pinkuns to turn up just after 6pm. Changing the pink paper to white and then doing away with the Saturday evening print altogether was a sad day for all those who enjoyed the local football round up. All due to cost I suppose but still sadly missed by many of us. When I was a boy my grandfather used to send me up to the GPO on a Monday to post off Saturdays Pinkun to my uncle Jim who lived in Hull. Times have changed and not necessarily for the better.

it never is going to be a case of all change will be for the betterbut I cannot imagine the EDP of those times carrying a photo of a cross looking man complaing that his Pinkun had a smudge the back page, or that some of the print had gone a bot skew whiffas to 1985 i wasn''t too confidant as I had been there in 73 and 75, and we had just lost at home to Sunderlandbut the beauty of football (many other sports) is you go to a game with hope, and believe... and my bar scarf that was no longer hanging from my belt or tied to my wristtravelled there and back in a car so missed the fun of being in a coach after such a win, something I did see on the balmy summer''s eve heading down from Hillsborough in ''82 and NO city fan would have believed or even dreamt that as we went into the final week of March that year 12th in the table with 9 games to go and 9 points behind Weds who were in the final promotion place - which (2 points a win) we would require us tp get 4 wins and a draw just to catch them, without them gaining a single point either.whereas now we are only a couple of wins behind themdid we do it ,, faken yes we did.. and headed up the AI that blistering hot day knowing we could be promoted by 5pm, the last game of the season, not the hype of 2015 where the world and his wife suddenly discovered they were City fans, it was just us, us happy band of fools, when football was something for a few oiks and barely got a mention outside of our worldcan we do it again ?

Tbh I thought the Milk Cup final was an awful match, totally forgettable apart from the fact that we won a trophy!

I ran across the pitch at Watford with my mate watching the Watford fans disappear out of the stand ,got soaked loved every moment a great season .got our photo on the front page of the EDP colour supplement still have two copies now .we are right at the front .

[quote user="ricardo"]There was often a queue in our paper shop in Rosary Rd waiting for the Pinkuns to turn up just after 6pm. Changing the pink paper to white and then doing away with the Saturday evening print altogether was a sad day for all those who enjoyed the local football round up. All due to cost I suppose but still sadly missed by many of us. When I was a boy my grandfather used to send me up to the GPO on a Monday to post off Saturdays Pinkun to my uncle Jim who lived in Hull. Times have changed and not necessarily for the better.[/quote]

When Big Vince was Little Vince his granny used to send him bulk copies of the Pink Un when he lived in apartheid-era South Africa. After she died, he became an air mail subscriber. The main reporters then were Malcolm Robertson, Bill Walker and Richard Futter.

The headlines in those days were a lot more original. After Norwich won 1-0 at St Andrews, the front page headline was: "Glum Brum are Downs and Out".

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="ricardo"]There was often a queue in our paper shop in Rosary Rd waiting for the Pinkuns to turn up just after 6pm. Changing the pink paper to white and then doing away with the Saturday evening print altogether was a sad day for all those who enjoyed the local football round up. All due to cost I suppose but still sadly missed by many of us. When I was a boy my grandfather used to send me up to the GPO on a Monday to post off Saturdays Pinkun to my uncle Jim who lived in Hull. Times have changed and not necessarily for the better.[/quote]

When Big Vince was Little Vince his granny used to send him bulk copies of the Pink Un when he lived in apartheid-era South Africa. After she died, he became an air mail subscriber. The main reporters then were Malcolm Robertson, Bill Walker and Richard Futter.

The headlines in those days were a lot more original. After Norwich won 1-0 at St Andrews, the front page headline was: "Glum Brum are Downs and Out".[/quote]

Vince, when you lived in South Africa did you ever meet Nelson Mandela and if you did what was he really like?

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="ricardo"]There was often a queue in our paper shop in Rosary Rd waiting for the Pinkuns to turn up just after 6pm. Changing the pink paper to white and then doing away with the Saturday evening print altogether was a sad day for all those who enjoyed the local football round up. All due to cost I suppose but still sadly missed by many of us. When I was a boy my grandfather used to send me up to the GPO on a Monday to post off Saturdays Pinkun to my uncle Jim who lived in Hull. Times have changed and not necessarily for the better.[/quote]

The headlines in those days were a lot more original. After Norwich won 1-0 at St Andrews, the front page headline was: "Glum Brum are Downs and Out".[/quote]

Vince, when you lived in South Africa did you ever meet Nelson Mandela and if you did what was he really like?

[/quote]

When Little Vince docked in Cape Town harbour on the morning of 31 October 1974, Muhammad Ali had just beaten George Foreman the night before and we heard the news just before disembarkation.

Nelson Mandela was in prison on Robben Island in Table Bay when Little Vince arrived aboard the Windsor Castle of the old Union Castle Line. He was still in prison when young Vince left South Africa, although he had been moved to a prison on the mainland by that time as the apartheid government inched towards reconciling its differences with the ANC. Mandela''s conditions of incarceration improved as his political stature grew, although no one inside or outside South Africa had a clue what he looked like.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Les"]Certainly very exciting times, never to be forgotten.

I remember going to Newcastle on a footy special train offer, all of £2.50 return😨 We had less than 60 seconds to change trains at Peterborough due to delay leaving Norwich caused by a brake fault.[/quote]Yes Les, that next season in Div 1 I went to Leeds by air in an old Dakota DC3 from Norwich Airport. It cost a tenner including the match ticket. First time I had ever flown and it was somewhat disconcerting when we boarded the plane a mechanic had one of the engine cowlings open and was bashing something with a large spanner. Precision engineering they called it in those days, but it was great experience even though we lost 2-0.[/quote]

I flew on that DC3. Coming back from Amsterdam in time for the Sunderland game and Jimmy Bone''s home debut.

Snow everywhere and the back door of the DC3 wouldn''t close properly so the stewardess had to wear a fur coat.

Got a club biscuit with our coffee. Landed just in time to get to the game.

I was in the Royal Navy at the time, made my way to Wembley and said to my twin brother "I''ll meet you there" no location other than that, but it being a Twin thing, I stood by a hotdog van and waited, sure enough he turned up ! Think it was about 100,000 people there that day.Enjoyed our jolly to Watford as well, after the run across the pitch we were singing and shouting about taking the ''Rookery'' and this young lad shaking like a leaf, whispered into a cops ear ''I''m Watford'' he got out safe and sound -- Happy Days