Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Rio Ferdinand - how important is football?

On a programme tonight (at 9 o clock) talking about when he lost his Wife to cancer, and how to deal with life etc.

To me, it puts all the rivalry aside (No, I''m not talking about with Man Utd /Rio, just footballing rivalry in general) and makes me wonder how important football is (not) in the great scheme of things.

I immediately think of football fans, and their behaviour, and the first ones I thought about were Millwall/West Ham fans, who I have seen , having a ''go'' at each other, and these are middle aged neanderthals. Can''t really fathom what goes through their heads tbh.

I can almost predict, that Rio will get some numbnut give him abuse over this programme, just because he played for Man Utd

Agree crabby, hope people see the program for what it is, and not about Rio the ex man utd player.

Looking forward to watching later.

Very sad, emotional and tough to watch. Well done to Rio for sharing that which would have maybe helped others in the same position, his wife would be proud.

He''s had hundred''s of messages of support on twitter since the programme finished, touched a lot of people tonight.

Hats off to Ferdinand, what a top bloke in the way he is attempting to deal with this personal tragedy, and that of his kids. I can only agree with the original poster, football is immaterial in such matters, yes it can bring people together and unite folks, but it is soon forgotten, you still go home to an empty house and no partner to lean on in the daily routines, nothing will mend a broken heart, and that feeling of emptiness will never leave him. If you are ever touched by such a bereavement, you will understand.