Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

Dump the dead wood NOW, play our youngsters

Given we''re in no danger of relegation and no realistic hope of promotion at this point, the remaining games of this season are basically irrelevant. Therefore, why not give up altogether with most of the senior players and play members of our U23 team in all the remaining games this season, to give them valuable experience? There is literally nothing to lose at this point in playing Godfrey in all the remaining games, for example, and absolutely nothing to be gained by playing Martin, Whittaker or Bennett, all of whom pretty clearly dont have a future at this club after this weekend''s performance. Same in midfield, why are we playing Dorrans, Mulumbu, maybe even Tettey at this point? We have some hugely talented players coming through the ranks who are going to be the future of the club, so let''s give Maddison, Cantwell, Adams, Grant, Middleton as many minutes as possible in the last 6 or 7 games so they know what to expect in the Championship next season instead of playing ''senior'' ''professionals'' who clearly either don''t care or aren''t up to it any more. You could even extend that to goalkeepers to be honest - Is Aston Oxborough really any less competent than McGovern? By yesterday''s showing it would be hard to believe.

I would like to think that most of what you say happens but i will not be holding my hopes on it.

Mainly because they would get murdered if you played them all. No one wants to get tonked every week just to get "experience". There is still a huge gap between Championship football and the U23''s.

I agree that we should play two or three of them though. Godfrey and Maddison are ready for a go at least. Declan Rudd should be in goal but for some completely stupid reason he''s at Charlton.......

Good post Andy but like what Tilly says it won''t happen because we will play the old guard until we have a manager in who has got nothing to do with norwich,and hopefully the club will let the new manager do what he wants

No thanks.

Let''s keep persisting with the same formation, tactics, lineups & subs that have worked so well this season.

James Maddison, don''t be silly, get Naismith in at no.10, your forgetting his 1 assist in 26 apps this season.

And dont forget that Russel Martin is undropable as he has been our defensive rock for the last 3 seasons. Not😂😂😂😂

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Klose Whittaker

Godfrey Howson

Murphy Maddison Pritchard

Nelson

Ruddy

Martin Godfrey Klose Whittaker

Tettey Howson

Murphy Maddison Pritchard

Nelson

So for huddersfield we would be looking at one of the above sides?

To be honest Maddison should be ok.

But in either side, while I would not fear Godfrey playing, I would worry about the impact on his confidence in playing in either back 6, no guidance or support and ineffective players in those positions all around him. HE deserves more than that

But he wouldnt be as bad as having the colossus that is bennett present.

I had the same idea, but I wouldn''t want to put out a largely reserve team in games against teams at the top. It wouldn''t be good for the players or supporters.

One or two positions are crying out for some change -especially in the defence, and certainly Godfrey, now that no experienced and competent fullback is available. We probably have to replace Dorrans, and I would urge Maddison. Otherwise bring on the others, one or two per match, fairly late in the game when opponents feel that they have scored enough goals.

Where Norwich City finish in the league means a different amount of money hence why they are not just going to put a youth team out... It''s not as cut and dry as promoted, relegated or staying the league - there is £££''s to think about.

Re: Maddison. I like the sound of this kid. I like his confidence and ballsy approach - he sounds like a handful and a talent - but is he developed enough for the Championship... I have seen him in recent weeks/months in the pre-match warm-ups and he looks quite small or under-developed - he obviously did well up north at Aberdeen but I fear the championship might be a bit more physical. I think AN loaned him out so that he can grow and build as a man and a player.

All that said, I would cheer if he was given a go!

i would want to shoe horn godfrey in at left back, his performance v leeds highlight how experimental that was (not his position, tried manfully) and he is much better suited to the middle of the park.

If Klose or bassong and martin were to communicate & coach him during they game then he could be CB, but given the lack of effective back 4 comms so far this season that IF looms larger than the average 2 goals per away game conceded so far this season

Suppose a lot of this will depend on who is picking the team. Are we likely to appoint a new manager before the end of the season? No real need to rush to appoint one other than that manager needing to assess the players (something those 6-7 games might be useful for so might actually mean the established players still get picked)

That said, someone like Irvine who says he doesnt want the job really has the freedom to pick whomever he likes unlike a manager that cares