Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Stuart Webber

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]
The key priorities for the Sporting Director are:
Support the first team and head coach
Maintain and manage a positive working relationship with the owner
Employ the best people within budget as department heads
Oversee the implementation of the club’s DNA and identity a suitable playing philosophy across all teams, from first team to Academy.
Implement and maintain a scouting network
Manage the movement of players in and out of the club
Oversee the academy and development teams (extending to community foundations for talent identification)
Oversee the performance departments including medical and sport science
Oversee the training ground
The Sporting Director is the custodian of the club’s sporting performance and must have:
Football industry knowledge
Business and financial acumen
Ability to lead and develop a high performance culture
Ability to develop and deliver a strategy both strategically and operationally
Understanding of - and the ability to deliver - good governance
Ability to manage change and innovation
Ability to manage research (monitor and evaluate) on relevant performance measures
Can''t understand why so many people are pooh-poohing this whole restructuring idea. It''s exactly what was needed.
[/quote]Looks to me that some areas there clash with the responsibilities of a technical director.

@ TIL 1010

Looks to me that some areas there clash with the responsibilities of a technical director.

The technical director will take his direction from the Sportng director, no making it up as goes along, this can only be good for everyone if gets all working together! imo

Oversee the performance departments including medical and sport scienceIf this is included in the new post i really do fail to see the need for another pair of hands on the tiller.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Oversee the performance departments including medical and sport scienceIf this is included in the new post i really do fail to see the need for another pair of hands on the tiller.[/quote]The question you are really raising is Ricky Martin''s role in the new structure. Clearly the board have (correctly) identified the need for a Sporting Director with the responsibilities and experience outlined in the quoted post, and if they had thought Ricky Martin could do the job as specified they wouldn''t be bringing Webber in. So the answer is: wait and see.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Oversee the performance departments including medical and sport scienceIf this is included in the new post i really do fail to see the need for another pair of hands on the tiller.[/quote]The question you are really raising is Ricky Martin''s role in the new structure. Clearly the board have (correctly) identified the need for a Sporting Director with the responsibilities and experience outlined in the quoted post, and if they had thought Ricky Martin could do the job as specified they wouldn''t be bringing Webber in. So the answer is: wait and see.[/quote]Not questioning for one minute the new Sporting Director role Westcoastcanary and you have summed up what i was thinking.

My main concern is the following:

"It could also be argued that the head coach should have the final say on signings. There is on benefit in forcing an unwanted player on a head coach"

"A sporting director will present to the head coach the best options for a particular position and the head coach will select his preferred choice. However, as the sporting director is the custodian of sporting performance, he does have the authority to block a signing"

This is an area where elements of grey have the potential to produce problems. It has to be black or white. I can hear the responses already - they have to come to an agreement. In a lot of cases that might be possible. But in others, it won''t. Who has the final say? I know what Alan Irvine thinks!

Officially on gardening leave..

http://www.htafc.com/news/article/2016-17/huddersfield-town-stuart-webber-club-statement-garden-leave-3648901.aspx

[quote user="hogesar"]Officially on gardening leave..

http://www.htafc.com/news/article/2016-17/huddersfield-town-stuart-webber-club-statement-garden-leave-3648901.aspx[/quote]

If you worked as a gardener and wanted to change jobs to be a gardener for someone else would you original employer put you on gardening leave until your contract finished and you were free to leave? 

TCCANARY wrote

f you worked as a gardener and wanted to change jobs to be a gardener for someone else would you original employer put you on gardening leave until your contract finished and you were free to leave?

.......................................................................................

Perhaps they would put you on football leave

[quote user="Kidderminster Exile"]TCCANARY wrote

f you worked as a gardener and wanted to change jobs to be a gardener for someone else would you original employer put you on gardening leave until your contract finished and you were free to leave?

.......................................................................................

Perhaps they would put you on football leave[/quote]

@Webbo118
Anyone who accepts appointment as head coach under this system will understand that the SP "has the authority to block a signing". As the original article says, this is anathema to many home grown managers, so we won''t be appointing anyone of that mind. The fact that the system works just fine for virtually every top tier club across Europe and several here shows that there need be no problem; what''s needed is a head coach who buys fully into the way the system works, and appreciates the benefits of working within that framework. 

Tilly raises some serious questions about the apparent overlap in responsibilities and it will be interesting to see where RM will fit into the new structure.

[quote user="Van Klomp"]Tilly raises some serious questions about the apparent overlap in responsibilities and it will be interesting to see where RM will fit into the new structure.[/quote]What''s Russell Martin got to do with it Winky?

Not wishing to sound stupid, but what is the Mulbarton thing about? I''ve seen it mentioned in various threads but obviously missed something way back when?!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Not wishing to sound stupid, but what is the Mulbarton thing about? I''ve seen it mentioned in various threads but obviously missed something way back when?![/quote]The Man from Mulbarton was the nickname given to Ricky Martin by youth players at Colney.

I''m wondering if we''ll get an announcement on Thurs after our game with Huddersfield?

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Probably linking him and Mulbartion to a parochial way of life as opposed to cutting edge pushing the boundaries[/quote]

Lucky he doesn''t come from Costessey. They''d have fun with that

Nice place. My girlfriend teaches at the primary school. Ruddy lives their I think.
Sorry, felt like giving a serious answer for once.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]@Webbo118
Anyone who accepts appointment as head coach under this system will understand that the SP "has the authority to block a signing". As the original article says, this is anathema to many home grown managers, so we won''t be appointing anyone of that mind. The fact that the system works just fine for virtually every top tier club across Europe and several here shows that there need be no problem; what''s needed is a head coach who buys fully into the way the system works, and appreciates the benefits of working within that framework. 
[/quote]

And presumably he has the authority to give the head coach players that he doesn''t want?

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="westcoastcanary"]@Webbo118
[/quote]

And presumably he has the authority to give the head coach players that he doesn''t want?[/quote]

Oh Dear, thats not progress happening at our Club is it? can''t have that, god forbid we change anything. What if it works...the idiots should have done it earlier. I like the idea of a new set up. the current one has worked, up to a point but we are very much limited by finances...... and unless we are promoted sharpish or sell out to someone with big bucks.. that side of things wont change, but a change of structure could make a big difference. Either way , I prefer change from within.