Sign in to follow this  
FCC

Next Season Aspirations

Given the new structure, and playing squad overhaul in the summer is promotion likely next season?

Are we putting in place a long term structure which will take some time for the recruitment to pay dividends over a number of years, or will we consider the new structure a failure if we miss out on promotion next season and the parachute payments stop?

I want to see massive recruitment and performance improvements next season, developing a committed and exciting team. I think it is a huge ask to get promotion next season, so recruitment over the summer will be based on a Championship budget - spending on lower league players with potential rather than throwing money at over rated has- beens.

I can''t see us getting much return on the experienced players we signed. Doubt we will be able to recoup much from Naismith, Wildschut, or Klose. I hope the new Director has a few gems we can bring in on the cheap.

[quote user="FCC"]Given the new structure, and playing squad overhaul in the summer is promotion likely next season?

Are we putting in place a long term structure which will take some time for the recruitment to pay dividends over a number of years, or will we consider the new structure a failure if we miss out on promotion next season and the parachute payments stop?

I want to see massive recruitment and performance improvements next season, developing a committed and exciting team. I think it is a huge ask to get promotion next season, so recruitment over the summer will be based on a Championship budget - spending on lower league players with potential rather than throwing money at over rated has- beens.

I can''t see us getting much return on the experienced players we signed. Doubt we will be able to recoup much from Naismith, Wildschut, or Klose. I hope the new Director has a few gems we can bring in on the cheap.[/quote]Next season we will have:A new (in the sense of first) sporting director; a new (ditto) head coach; a new first-team coach; a revamped squad cleared of much deadwood; a new team captain; a second year of (albeit diminished) parachute money; new owners and at least one new board director.* What''s not to be optimistic about?*Only one item on that list is not certain to happen...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Next season we will have:A new (in the sense of first) sporting director; a new (ditto) head coach; a new first-team coach; a revamped squad cleared of much deadwood; a new team captain; a second year of (albeit diminished) parachute money; new owners and at least one new board director.* What''s not to be optimistic about?*Only one item on that list is not certain to happen...[/quote]*Er, deadwood? [;)]

We don''t know who the next manager is. With our board''s record in appointing managers perhaps we should prepare for the worst ie a bottom half finish?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Next season we will have:A new (in the sense of first) sporting director; a new (ditto) head coach; a new first-team coach; a revamped squad cleared of much deadwood; a new team captain; a second year of (albeit diminished) parachute money; new owners and at least one new board director.* What''s not to be optimistic about?*Only one item on that list is not certain to happen...[/quote]*Er, deadwood? [;)][/quote]Lapps, I couldn''t possibly say! But I did leave one certainty off the list, which is that we will sign a goalkeeper taller than Tyrion Lannister...More seriously, a quick bit of research on our chances of going back up. The situation is clouded by different timespans for parachute payments, but in the last 15 seasons, from 2014-15 backwards, with 45 relegations, I make it that 13 clubs have gone straight back up, 3 after a year''s gap, 1 after a two-year gap, 2 after a three-year gap, and 2 after a four-year gap.The longest absence (so far, given the uncertain future of recent relegees) is Leicester City''s 10 seasons, with others at six, seven and eight seasons In all 18 have (again, so far) never got back, although some of the clubs on that list, such as Portsmouth, Coventry City, Charlton Athletic and Blackpool, have been sucked into financial black holes, the like of which we have been careful to avoid.

Anyone bothered paying attention to what Webber has achieved? He''s the guy we''re bringing in, and it''ll be his say so on the next head coach. Wagner and Webber (not to be confused with a private detective agency) have got Huddersfield transformed in the space of a season. Why can''t we be the same?

Don''t know why people are moaning before the changes have taken place. Anything after this season has got to be better than watching the try-hard tika taka non defence football of Alex Neils 18 month stint.

Should be better than the dross served up this season . I expect them to be competitive if a half decent manager is appointed . Thankfully Irvine hasn''t got the results that were hoped for or the cheap option may have been taken .

Its all about the players we bring in. New keeper, two new centre backs, left back and defensive midfielder.

Only defender I see worth persevering with is Pinto, assuming Djiks leaves. Like to see Tofollo back and given a shot.

Midfield - got to keep Howson and Thomson to come in once fit. Maddison and Pritchard. Like to see more of Wildschut before commenting.

Up front - Murphys/Oliveira/Jerome. Also Morris.

Think Dorans, Tettey and Wes are all past their sell-by date but probably good enough as squad back up.

We all know about Martin, Whittaker, Klose, Bassong and Turner so see most of them going or at best back up. Bennett ought to be better than he is but maybe he has had too many chances?

Wouldn''t mind seeing Rudd back but a new keeper would be good.

Interesting times ahead?

I think that we shall have to be patient. The new management structure will bring in some good players, but there will be a major problem to get rid of the the accumulated deadwood and non-tryers.

If too many new players are brought in, making a coherent team of so many will take time, and I doubt if we have enough money to buy any significant players.

I am not sure how quickly a repetition of the minor miracles they achieved in the past can be repeated. I would not want to produce a team which gets up via the play-offs and then fails to survive in the Prem. We have been this way before. I would prefer building securely to gain promotion and also avoid relegation, and this is not easy, or quick.

[quote user="Number 9"]Promotion Promotion Promotion[/quote]

I think the new structure will result in more realistic aspirations with just two priorities - promotion and promotion.