Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Ryan Bennett

I wasn''t disagreeing with you mate, it was rock the boat who i thought might have been watching in the radio.

Yes, I was at the game and definitely think Howson was very disappointing, as were the whole midfield apart from Pritchard.

It was a game which cried out for one of Howson, Tettey or Dorrans to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate. Once again they all failed and we ended up looking weak all over the pitch.

Time for a total rethink

Never rated Bennett, cant say I''ve ever seen him have an impressive game and never understood why some fans really rate him. For a big chap he seems to never dominate opponents and his lack of effort (or just giving up) on some occasions is just shocking.

Im sure I remember reading that he really takes notice of his ratings in the papers and can get upset about it.

Nice voice though...

Anyone got any idea why we renewed Turner''s contract? Or indeed Whittaker''s?

Turners was due to a clause that got triggered when we were promoted- we didn''t have any choice in it. Whittaker I have no idea.

Are you sure? Im hardly Mr Memory Man, but Im sure we announced a new 1 year contract extension for both at the start of the season, dont follow why that would be a knock-on from promotion the season before.

Seeing as we didnt want him last season and havent played him this season that decision baffles me. When did he last actually play a game for us?

I know the point here is Bennett and I don''t really rate him either but one thing that just came to mind is the fact our Centre Backs have scored two goals between them all season (Martin and Klose). Whilst I agree that the main job is to defend and god only knows they have failed in that department I am sure if you looked at other teams and given the number of corners and free kicks we have had surely there ought to have been a better return?

Aberdeen_Canary wrote the following post at 04/04/2017 5:07 PM:

I know the point here is Bennett and I don''t really rate him either but one thing that just came to mind is the fact our Centre Backs have scored two goals between them all season (Martin and Klose). Whilst I agree that the main job is to defend and god only knows they have failed in that department I am sure if you looked at other teams and given the number of corners and free kicks we have had surely there ought to have been a better return?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the lack of goals from corners and set plays is more down to the training ground than the players involved.

Considering the number of corners we have had this season is does seem a very poor return.

When you consider the Centre backs for Leeds and Brentford have scored 7 times between them, Preston 6, Newcastle 5, Huddersfield 5 and Brighton and Reading 4 our return of two seems poor I agree.

Yeah but they can''t win defensive headers in our box so you can''t hope for too much from attacking situations.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Are you sure? Im hardly Mr Memory Man, but Im sure we announced a new 1 year contract extension for both at the start of the season, dont follow why that would be a knock-on from promotion the season before.

Seeing as we didnt want him last season and havent played him this season that decision baffles me. When did he last actually play a game for us?[/quote]

It was announced at the start of the season because that''s when the clause kicked in; the end of his other contract.

The clause was he had a one year option if we were promoted to the PL during his contract. So, even though we were relegated the season prior to the extension, his option had been triggered and thus available to him due to the season before when we won the play-offs.

I guess that it wasn''t announced after the P/O season as until his contract ran out he was under no obligation to indicate whether he''d exercise it or not.

Ugh, long winded I know but I think that''s the gist of it.

That''s what happened with Turner. Nothing to do with Alex Neil at all. He was just left with a defender he didn''t want.
As for Whittaker, he was signed as cover for right back. That was a decent call considering we had spent millions on a right back the previous transfer window. And to be fair our defence has been no worse when we had to call on him to cover either side. 

Whittaker must be on pretty substantial wages though? Id personally have released him and let a youngster take on the role of bench warming.

There is a lot of dead wood in our squad, though in recent seasons this is nothing new. We seem to have always carried players who seem unpickable whatever the circumstances, permanent benchwarmers or not even in the squad such as Becchio.

Turner situation seems unavoidable, but we seem to have a lot of players on decent wages they know they wont get anywhere else if they move on.

Webber has a lot to do. Good that the club seem to have recognised the squad needs an overhaul

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Whittaker must be on pretty substantial wages though? Id personally have released him and let a youngster take on the role of bench warming.

There is a lot of dead wood in our squad, though in recent seasons this is nothing new. We seem to have always carried players who seem unpickable whatever the circumstances, permanent benchwarmers or not even in the squad such as Becchio.

Turner situation seems unavoidable, but we seem to have a lot of players on decent wages they know they wont get anywhere else if they move on.

Webber has a lot to do. Good that the club seem to have recognised the squad needs an overhaul[/quote]
I''d much rather the youngster was away on loan playing first team games than just warming the bench. What advantage is that to that youngster or us sitting on the bench week in week out? That certainly was the case with Jacob.

There does come a time with young players that you have to bite the bullet and get them involved though. Toffolo has already played pretty extensively at League One level and the second half of this season was set up perfectly for him to be in the first team sqaud- both left backs leaving, no proper cover and only a loanee coming in. I''d much rather he''d got the 5 games we''ve already seen Whittaker have at left back.

Just a reminder that players can be almost universally written off by their fans and then turn round and prove you wrong. Can't see a single comment supporting Ryan Bennett in here. Now a Premier League regular and talked about as an England possibility. 

Not bad for a defender who was apparently League 1 standard! 

That's why us fans shouldn't write off Hanley after 3 Premier League appearances. 

My view on Bennett hasn't changed now that he's playing for Wolves. He is now surrounded by ten decent players who are very competitive team. Would anyone notice if he made errors ? Certainly Wolves have so much of the ball he's hardly under any pressure.

The errors he made while playing for us were horrendous and the way he just jogged back after loosing the ball will never leave me.

Good riddance to bad rubbish !

2 hours ago, Six Pack said:

My view on Bennett hasn't changed now that he's playing for Wolves. He is now surrounded by ten decent players who are very competitive team. Would anyone notice if he made errors ? Certainly Wolves have so much of the ball he's hardly under any pressure.

The errors he made while playing for us were horrendous and the way he just jogged back after loosing the ball will never leave me.

Good riddance to bad rubbish !

Bit like that Harry Kane guy ‘ worse player to ever wear a Norwich shirt ‘

5 hours ago, Well b back said:

Bit like that Harry Kane guy ‘ worse player to ever wear a Norwich shirt ‘

Refs have got him sussed this season, the 'old get in front of your marker and fall' or as we saw last week, 'the dive in front of your marker and expect a Pen' He's a decent striker but a carp actor. VAR is good for dealing with the likes of him, if the Ref is in doubt, play on, VAR will call the Pen if it was one.

12 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Always my lasting view of him too.

Some players need to move on to come on. Danny Mills did very well after he left us. Chris Martin to some degree too

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Some players need to move on to come on. Danny Mills did very well after he left us. Chris Martin to some degree too

Grant Holt to us

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Chris Martin was brilliant for us in League One but just lost momentum due to injuries in the Championship season, we outgrew him because we moved up too quickly. Who knows what may have been if he'd had a full season at that level before our promotion, Steve Morison hit double figures in that first season despite being a very limited player. He was a bit unlucky there. 

He's had a much better career than Simeon Jackson who got a fair few games for us in the Premier League, just the luck of the draw. 

See him on TV quite a bit playing for Wolves. I think he remains very much the player he was here. Decent but has not moved on.

18 minutes ago, vos said:

See him on TV quite a bit playing for Wolves. I think he remains very much the player he was here. Decent but has not moved on.

I bet he cried all the way to the bank after reading this.