With all the fuss over Worthy''s comments about the fans, one thing seems to have been overlooked. When asked about Hucks and Ashton discussing the penalty, he basically said that the designated taker would be anyone who felt up for it. I found this comment astounding. This lack of preparation and attention to detail is indicative of his poor management. Sack this fool now.

now, in a team you would have a designated penalty taker? correct! You would then have a second, and then incase a third choice penalty taker.

Thus at norwich being:

1) Ashton

2) Hux

3) BLANK??? wonder who this would be?

Well considering that Ashton had concussion during the course of the game, and huckerby was on the pitch, surely the injury would then mean to be given to number two?

Obviously, Deano must have said, ill take it........ so really deano is really the only person you can blame, but dont get me wrong, im not against him, i think he is a touch of class, it was just a bad decision that cost us the draw

But the point is, Worthington said he had no designated penalty taker, he left it up to the players to decide who was more, "up for it". Surely a recipe for disaster and further evidence of his lack of leadership.

People miss penalties, I have no problem with that. I just find it incredulous that he sends a team out so unprepared. It begs the question, what else does he leave up to the players?

I have to wonder if some of those who post on here have played football at any level beyond subbeteo.

Assume we had a designated penalty taker then that would be most likely be Ashton. If so, why would he have passed the job to Huckerby on saturday ? He felt up to it so he took it.

It negates the whole point of having a designated penalty taker if the players can opt out or switch round at will (which is what is being asked for here).

Imagine having a designated writer of gripes against Worthington who then passes it to the next chap as he doesn''t feel up to it. Likewise the next chap who passes it on as well.

You could end up with the job being done by the village idiot who has no sense at all.

Actually that might explain ..........

[quote]I have to wonder if some of those who post on here have played football at any level beyond subbeteo. Assume we had a designated penalty taker then that would be most likely be Ashton. If so, why wou...[/quote]

Blimey I am about to agree with Dan.  It does not matter whether there is a designated penalty taker.  As long as players are practising them in training they are prepared enough. 

It is unfair to assume that just because there is no designated taker that Worthy does not prepare the players.

In exasperation Twigge has risen from his slumber.

Had Ashton had scored, there''d be none of this you can be sure.The posters here clearly want Worthy''s blood and will use any excuse to try and pin it on him.

Unfortunately the penalty was missed - it happens.

But why was it Worthy''s fault? He''s not on the pitch. He can''t intervene. Where was the captain. If he''s not there to lead the team and assess who should and shouldn''t take the penalty, then what is he there for?

If there has to be a fault then direct your venom to Hughes.

By the way, Doherty played a blinder. Excellent Worthy decision to play him - now its reaping rewards.

It seems to me you either

a) allocate a penalty-taker and he takes it whether he feels like it or not, feels fit or not, or

b) say to the highly paid and professional players: you decide who wants it more and who feels ready to take it.

We all know that both Hux and Ashton like to take penalties. It''s only an issue because he missed. That happens. Stop looking for someone to blame!

I was listening to Peter Taylor on the radio, commentating on some game or other.

He said "Oh, it''s not easy against 10 men, but you just go back to the training games where you play 11v10 and that''ll get you through".

I bet WE don''t do 11 v 10 in training.

He also said during penalties "Of course, on the training ground you have all the players behind the goal to simulate the crowd"

I best WE don''t do that.

"The designated pen taker is whoever feels up for it" - typical NW.

Seem to remember the Palace game last season and Worthy blaming the players for cocking it up...obviously learnt his lesson this time and passed the responsibility on them rather than blaming them...

Mad Dan, I can see where you''re coming from here - if Ashton says he''s up for it, then as a fellow professional, you''re probably not going to argue are you?

[quote]now, in a team you would have a designated penalty taker? correct! You would then have a second, and then incase a third choice penalty taker. Thus at norwich being: 1) Ashton 2) Hux 3) BLANK??? w...[/quote]

What makes you think that Ashton had concussion?

If he had concussion he''d have come of the pitch, they just don''t risk that sort of thing. Don''t think he had "massive head trauma" now did he. Let''s find another stick to beat Worthy with ey??

I''m not blaming anyone for missing the penalty, I''m just amazed that NW is so lackadaisical that he does not make preparation for one of the most important events that could occur during the match. He needs to display leadership and he clearly does not.

" I''m just amazed that NW is so lackadaisical that he does not make preparation for one of the most important events that could occur during the match "

Back to being silly again. He has made preparation. The players decide. Imagine if he had shouted across the pitch to to get Huckerby to take the penalty and it had been missed.

I have serious doubts if some of the posters on here have actually even played subbuteo given some of the ridiculous posts put up.