Sign in to follow this  
BIC

Worthington - "I don't care what the fans think - I'm in charge"

[quote]So, you would rather have a manager that chose his team based on what sections of the crowd think would you? The fans certainly don''t all agree. Worthy is absolutely right to say what he did. I for...[/quote]

Yes but why did 90% seem to show disatisfaction at McVeigh being removed from the game by our master tactician?

[quote]Yes but why did 90% seem to show disatisfaction at McVeigh being removed from the game by our master tactician?[/quote]

90% did not boo the decision, most fans would never boo.

About the Worthy post-match interview... put what the gaffer said to one side and take a look at what the idiot asking the questions was saying... Chris Goreham was out of order himself to suggest "we never got going" - we dominated for large parts of the game but wasted several chances.

Worthy went into the match with a plan to stick to the 4-3-1-2 that worked so well against Ipswich, and held his hands up and admitted it wasn''t going for us today.  Instead of bottling, he made the changes to influence the game.

Those changes involved taking McVeigh off - which many were annoyed at.  This reaction from the fans angered Worthy most I would have thought, hence his comments about the fans.  McVeigh was busy, but again showed he lacked defensively in midfield areas where we were short of numbers, and I can''t remember seeing him take a shot in the whole game.

Back to 4-4-2 for the Hull game - there''s no room for Hucks in a 4-3-1-2 and you can''t play him in a 3-5-2 because he''s not a wing back.

About the Worthy post-match interview... put what the gaffer said to one side and take a look at what the guy asking the questions was saying... Chris Goreham was out of order himself to suggest "we never got going" - we dominated for large parts of the game but wasted several chances.

Worthy went into the match with a plan to stick to the 4-3-1-2 that worked so well against Ipswich, and held his hands up and admitted it wasn''t going for us today.  Instead of bottling, he made the changes to influence the game.

Those changes involved taking McVeigh off - which many were annoyed at.  This reaction from the fans angered Worthy most I would have thought, hence his comments about the fans.  McVeigh was busy, but again showed he lacked defensively in midfield areas where we were short of numbers, and I can''t remember seeing him take a shot in the whole game.

Back to 4-4-2 for the Hull game - there''s no room for Hucks in a 4-3-1-2 and you can''t play him in a 3-5-2 because he''s not a wing back.

[quote]I heard the interview driving home from the game. First and foremost, top marks to Chris Goreham for posing the tough questions ! I listened in astonishment at his reply, our car went silent. None ...[/quote]

I''m looking forward to the edge on Tuesday, too!

I''m not angry at Worthy, but then I am 4,000 miles away from the pressure pot and having to pick up the news from a dial-up internet connection that makes Gary Holt look fast, and the dear old World Service.

With a bit more of an outside (exiled) eye, I think that this is the best challenge yet to Worthy.  He has never been under pressure like this before, and it seems strange to imagine a Carrow Road that boos our every substitution.  The only real boos I ever heard against our own club were for Big Bad Bob Chase.

So, Worthy, are you up to the challenge?  The ball is in your court.  The best way to respond to adversity is to face up to it squarely, but that doesn''t mean losing your temper in a radio interview.

Remember Beckham after the Argentina game?  We all hated him, and he really took the stick.  But, respect to him, he faced up to it and produced his best football in the next couple of years.

Can you do a Beckham, Worthy?  Someone said that we''ve got 6 relatively easy games coming up.  These will either save him or throw him to the lions.  The packs are circling, expecting the worst...

"Deans got a thumping head ache" Fair enough. Now fellow posters, when you have a thumping head ache do you really feel like playing football, I know I don''t."Maybe we''ll have to play long ball to win games" No thanks, I''d like a manager who can motivate players to win games by entertaining the fans. Unless of course you want everyone with an opinion to go home.

Dicky, Dicky, Dicky....you have shown by many posts that you are not objective about what constitutes a football fan. You have now augmented that lack of respect on this thread with your comment that Nigel was right to say what he said. Under no circumstances could what he said, or the manner in which he said it, be construed as "right" by anybody who has respect for football fans, particularly Norwich City fans, who by their continued support, are giving the club a chance to get out of this regression we are embarked upon. Further, it looks like Ronbol among others is falling of your already disintegrating bandwagon.

YankeeCanary  

I have believed for some time that Worthy isn''t too bothered about the fans as long as he can keep the board sweet.  I also believe he has taken this club as far as his capabilities will allow.

There were a number of points that annoyed me today such as:

a.  Why didn''t we make the substitution before Reading took the throw in which led to their goal?

b.  Why did he take McVeigh off when Brennan was clearly having a bad game?

c.  Why didn''t he put Huckerby on the left straightaway up against their right full back who had been booked and would have been wary about diving in?

d.  Why did he bring on Henderson instead of Marney, and then play him wide right?

e.  Why did we have Doherty up front whilst Ashton was back defending a corner?

f.  Why does he seem to insist on playing Ashton out to the left where you can see he isn''t happy?

g.  Why do we still hit high balls to Ashton when he prefers the ball to feet, which is what happened when he was at Crewe?

h.  Why is there hardly any movement of our players when we are on the attack?

If it is true that Worthy said he doesn''t care what the fans think because he is in charge, then hopefully the board will have the courage to change the manager.   As a crowd we gave the team fantastic vocal support again today.  I have not witnessed so much anger amongst the supporters that I sit with for a long time, and these are the same supporters who have been trying to defend some of his strange decisions. I don''t like to see Norwich lose to any team, but if defeat against Hull and Brighton brings the removal of Worthington closer then let it happen.

It took me two and a half hours to get to Carrow Road today and two and a half hours to get home, plus £45 in petrol and however much the ticket works out at.

And Worthy doesn''t care what I, or anyone else paying his wages thinks about his decisions. Fair enough, he picks the team and he''ll do what he thinks is right but to openly say he doesn''t care about the fans or what they think is disgusting.

I''ve backed Worthy 300% on this message board for months and months now, defending him when we''ve bad and putting faith in him to turn it around.

Not anymore Nigel, thanks for the memories but don''t let the door hit you on the way out...

USA Canary made a good point early on - the chairman of a successful(?) company doesn''t criticise his customers...anyone remember Mr Gerald Ratner?

Dicky - are you Worthy in disguise?!

If ever there was a time for Delia to grab a mike it would be now...we the fans are feeling battered and bruised. We all love the club and we want to see it where it rightly belongs but it''s getting to the point where enough is enough. Nearly 25000 people paid today to see us play against a team that with the best will in the world we should have comfortably beaten given our squad.

That we didn''t says so much for the tactics - that our chief penalty taker didn''t decide to take the penalty also appears to be indicative of a malaise that is running deep throughout the club. What on earth is going on - as fans we have a right to know!

I heard the comments earlier on the radio and was shocked at how dismissive Worthington was of the fans. This is a man who is backed into a corner and he knows he is not doing well. I used to have a lot of respect for Worthy but do not understand the need for him to be so negative towards the fans that keep the club going and care about our team....come on enough is enough we do need a new manager...sorry to say it but its true.

See ?   we lose  , Nigel blurts  out something that  he probably  regrets  [ don`t we all ? ]   and the " fans "   scream for his blood  , my God , who`d be a football manager ??    what a strange situation he`s in  !    in industry a manager  tells his employees  what he expects of them  , and if they don`t perform , he fires them ....   in football   , if the employees  don`t perform  ... the MANAGER  gets the sack  !!  

[quote]http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2BY3V7A5PUYH22EAWYJN6XO3QE This is the interview with Radio Norfolk after todays game.[/quote]

Rasputin - Thanks for posting a link to the interview.

The fans are the club. Turn against the fans and you turn against the club. Worthington should know this already from his time as caretaker manager when he made similar disparaging remarks about the fans, only to apologise later on. Making impatient remarks about the fans only divides us from him even more.

He sounded pretty tired and fed up in that interview to me. And why not? He''s tried all sort of new things to turn it around. Switching the personnel, changing the formation, modifying the tactics. It all amounts to the same thing. A team that fails to get out of first gear.

I think the Ipswich win has bought him some more time than he otherwise would have had. With the board of directors at least. But if this woeful form continues things could turn nasty. And that''s the last thing this club needs.

[quote]I have believed for some time that Worthy isn''t too bothered about the fans as long as he can keep the board sweet. I also believe he has taken this club as far as his capabilities will allow. There...[/quote]

Is this the same vocal support that booed?  90% apparently

[quote]you need to clean your ears out dicky that was one heck of alot of boos mate[/quote]

What 90%?  Sure you were really there?  Or just not very good at maths?

whatever worthy thinks of the fans it is something he should have kept to himself.and has probably alienated many of the fans who still supported him.mc v should never have been the one to come off.he was playing like the squiz of old.face it ,worthy tried to get rid of him in the summer and they obviously still have issues between them.we are falling further and further behind the top 6 with promotion a distant dream away.things must change,now!!

[quote]90% did not boo the decision, most fans would never boo.[/quote]

So were there any fans there today [Saturday] because everyone around me showed anger at the change. These are people who have been going for years and years. Are these not real fans. I think you''ll find that on some occassions a loud show of anger like today will do positive things rather than negative. Unless of course you want to keep Worthington regardless of how poor the results and the tactics/team line-ups that lead to it.

I know what I am and that is a life long supporter of Norwich City and today I was angered and hurt by the actions of the manager. And I''ve had enough!

I still support Worthy, though some of decisions have been questionable and I accept that. The issue is bigger than what he said in the interview, I think there was frustration there and what he said was in response to the question ''Some of the fans werent too happy with the substitutions'' to which he said he didnt care about what they think.

I dont think he meant that he didnt care about the fans, or even about what the fans *think*, what he was saying is that he makes the decisions not the fans. Which is right.

Now, did those decisions lose us the game? Dont know. You could never substitute and hope you get a penalty. His team changes for Ipswich and Plymouth caused concern but they worked.

I think there is unrest in the team, and certianly the fans, if these message boards are to be believed. We do need to sort this out, I still give Worthy more time Im sure he is the man for the job.

[quote]you need to clean your ears out dicky that was one heck of alot of boos mate[/quote]

I wouldnt say 90% of people were booing. More like 90% of people thought it was an awful decision. I would never boo, but count me in the number that thought it was a poor decision.

It may not have been 90% but a very significant majority did boo today, a small number at hlf time, the vast majority of the crowd when WLY was taken off and again at the end of the game.   That does not soun like ''most fans would never boo'' to me 

I know of several season ticket holders around me who left the ground early having never done so before.  

The fans, ignorant as they may be in your eyes Dicky, are voting on worthys performances with their feet and voices, and just because you do not agree does not make it wrong.

OTBC

[quote]I have believed for some time that Worthy isn''t too bothered about the fans as long as he can keep the board sweet. I also believe he has taken this club as far as his capabilities will allow. There...[/quote]

As far as team selections tactics etc Worthy is right to plough his own course; but haven chosen them can only expect criticism if they are clearly poor choices that fail to deliver the result that the fans want.

Your summary silver fox is spot on,  all of them go back to coaching and tactics which is what worthy is paid for.  All of them are pretty fundamental errors which taken together give us the hard working but disjointed affair we saw today.

OTBC 

SIlver Fox,

I agree with every one of your points there.

We have become a knock-it-sideways teams with a hopeful punt up field to Ashton. Back to the main topic of the thread and the three people in the car I was in were gobsmacked Worthy came out with what he said. There are other ways to phrase it but he already seemed riled by asking Chris Goreham "in what way didn''t we get going" and appearing rattled at not having easy answers teed up for him. Compare and contrast with Andy Hughes'' interview which was clear, concise and honest and personal. It''s become a bit of a joke that every interview with Worthy will contain the phrases "worked hard", "passed it well", "cannot fault" and "sityeeation".

Personally, I booed the substitution of WLY. Lisbie looks like he thinks he can rest on his reputation. Someone should tell him he hasn''t got one. He created nothing and WLY was a far better candidate for being kept on, moving to a forward role, to accomodate Hucks.

There is something deeply wrong at the club at the mo.

Maybe you didn''t hear it Dick because you had your head so far up Worthington''s backside at the time? 

Oh dear. Did the naughty man say unkind things ?

How old are you, get over it.

For the record Nigel Worthington is accountable to the board not the fans. The implication in the question was that the managers decisions should be in tune with the fans thoughts. It was an idiot interview that was rightly dealt with.To say we never got going was pretty dumb. My suggestion is that the interviewee had rehearsed his questions rather than dealt with what happened.

For the record a Macdonalds product is directly under their control and can be changed in response to any customer feedback ie price, contents packaging. Football is not so.

Nor is it correct to use Gerald Ratner''s speech as an analogy. It''s one of those urban myths that seem to crop up regularly.Ratners shares were well on the slide before he made the speech and a cursory glance would show that his speech made no impact o that slide whatsoever. What lesson might be drawn was that of over ambition, a belief in one''s own publicity and a sense of untouchability. Something I''m afraid that seems to have gripped many of our fans in the past few years.

What concerns me more is not the off the cuff remark but the behaviour of Worthington and the club regarding Ashton. Clearly he has not been performing at his best since august. Is this linked to the attempt to sign Morrison ie the club knew something about what lie ahead.

And why was he allowed to stay on the pitch after the clash of heads in the first half ? He was clearly not of sorts. Then to take the penalty. Who decided that he should take the penalty ? But that''s another thread.