Sign in to follow this  
BIC

Worthington - "I don't care what the fans think - I'm in charge"

[quote]I still support Worthy, though some of decisions have been questionable and I accept that. The issue is bigger than what he said in the interview, I think there was frustration there and what he said ...[/quote]

took the words out of my mouth.

Simply!! It is easy to make statements of fact while taking into consideration all the possible implications of the remark that you are choosing to make. I was saying in my six pennorth; he could have chosen his words more wisely.

To me it showed a frustrated judgement of the situation that he found himself in, and in management that can be indicative of an inability to think on ones feet in a rational way while under obvious pressure.

Are there other departments of management that are also weak, that may or may not suffer or cause poor decisions? Is it possible that we have a coaching staff that are unsure of the strengths of our football players, and therefore there is not a cohesive strategy employed in that department? That said, above all else there is something radically wrong at NCFC, I''m sure.!!! 

I had that nice Mr Worthington round yesterday

I said to him "Hello Mr Worthington. I thought you might be in need of light refreshment so I''ve brewed a nice pot of tea." And he said to me "I don''t care what you think. I''m in charge and I''m having a horlicks". Which I thought was just a little bit rude.

Anyway we were sat in the drawing room - me having a tea - and him having a horlicks and I said "I think cook has got some nice bourbon biscuits in the pantry". And he said "I don''t care what you think. I''m in charge and I''m having a garibaldi". Which I thought was a little bit presumptuous since I''ve been serving tea and biscuits for 36 years and it was my house and I do know what I''m talking about.

So anyway, I smiled sweetly and I said "Listen to me knobbly knees. I also happen to be a shareholder so if I have to turn up at the next AGM to make my point I will. And there will be hundreds like me - so then you WILL care what we think. And take those shorts off. You look bleeding ridiculous."

Worthingtons biggest fault is his failure to admit he is fault free.

Those of you who go to the fan forums regularly will see if someone Questions A decision worthy makes, or his judgement he nearly loses it with them.

His opinion is law it seems, and i thought that Goreham was questioning worthys decisions in that interview, as indeed we fans did when wee Paul was subtituted, Worthy got annoyed. And as has been pointed out by yankee canary had to bite his tongue before he said something that wouldof REALLY got him in the dock.

Again he fails to accept responsibility for defeats. If we play badly he wont come out and say it was his fualt, or offer a different view point.. he is too proud of himself and too "perfect" to do this. In football you have to take the flack with the praise, Worthington seems to think that no matter what it should be Support, support, support.

It doesnt work like that, and his failure to accept others view points or that he makes mistakes is costing the team points and him his job.

jas

[quote]" everyone realizes that Nigel is in charge and has the right to make the calls as he sees fit " So why get some half wit to shove a mike in his face and ask him the opposite ? ps cheers about the p...[/quote]

So the first reporter to actually hold a mike in Worthy''s face rather than have his face up Worthy''s ass is a half-wit??

I beleive that;''s the most honest piece of reporting Ive seen in ages.

He''s asking what the fans are thinking, and Worthy treated him with contempt.

[quote]well said mate.[/quote]

Too true MadDan. It would be a funny if it wasn''t so utterly stupid. Polical correctness in my understanding is merely an attempt to avoid offending minority goups or people with less power than those making the comments just because they are part of those groups. It may fail, or go over the top at times but it''s decent in it''s intention. What''s wrong with that? It doesn''t preclude slagging off idiots for their actions or comments regardless of race or anything else before someone jumps in and says "we can''t even criticise terrorists now that political correctness has gone mad" etc etc.

He might not like the idea, Always Travelling & Dicky might not like the idea, Canary Poirot won''t like the idea, but fan power does play a part.

The sooner Nigel realises this then he''ll start to realise that he doesn''t have carte blanche and that he is responsible to someone other than Roger Munby.

You good folk who attend matches week in week out, those of you making the long trips to the likes of Plymouth and Preston, you pay his and the team''s wages and if the train comes off the rails badly (Man City''esque) then he and his band of merry brothers are in the deep doo doo...

Wise up Nige, Wise up board! We''re with you at the moment - just but it''s borrowed time...

I hope Chris Goreham is undeterred and not prevented from asking pointed questions on behalf of supporters. His post match interviews are well worth the wait.

Clearly, he rattles Nigel Worthington who has become more hesitant in interviews as he searches for answers to concise pertinent questions.

Worthy hesitated in giving his ''don''t care what the supporters say'' answer and appeared to continue with a moderated tone as his annoyance had already come out as dismissive words.

There has been far too much said from players, manager and officials at Carrow Road about supporters for some time now; particularly when allied to excuses for poor performances on the pitch. If it isn''t criticism then it is often overblown praise. Am I alone in finding it all a little patronising?

As for the substitution of McVeigh and the change of formation we caused Reading less problems with this and it should have been Huckerby for Lisbie (who looks short of match sharpness). Up to then I was ready to put it all down to continued poor finishing with the defence actually pushing up and compressing the  play and the midfield continuing to do well.

At least Hughes understands his role and proved in interview that you can speak from the heart and say it right. He, and our patient supporters are the only bright spots in a club where, whatever is said, there are too many individuals feeling sorry for themselves. I wonder what lies at the heart of this malaise?

[quote]I had that nice Mr Worthington round yesterday I said to him "Hello Mr Worthington. I thought you might be in need of light refreshment so I''ve brewed a nice pot of tea." And he said to me "I don''t ...[/quote]

Meeky: I can''t believe that 5 hours after your post no-one has even mentioned it yet!

I''ve just re-read this whole damn thread from start to finish, hunched over my laptop with a worried mind and furrowed brow.  Took me ages. Then, Lo! Meeky pops up with a gem of a post on the last page.  Cor I laughed!  We should all just lighten up a bit, I reckon.

City till I die

" I beleive that;''s the most honest piece of reporting Ive seen in ages."

Stupidest more like. The sort of question a second year media might pose. Wonderfully parodied by Chris Morris in Brass Eye. The same dimwitted question that Fergie didn''t even bother to reply to.

When have you ever heard a referee questioned because some of the crowd disagreed ? The Bank of England spokesman questioned as to whether the interest rate rise/cut was the right financial decision to take because half a dozen herberts down the local pub were now moaning ?

It is a measure of how threadbare the arguments of this ragbag of malcontents that they have to cling on to this bit of embarrassing buffoonery. That most of them can''t even accurately quote the right words speaks volumes about what lies behind their irritating whine.

Perhaps those who remember the film The Life of Brian will recall the " What did the Romans do for us ''sketch''. Much the same is here. Unable to come up with anything concrete against Worthington their gripes are becoming more and more farcical and more and more exaggerated.

What has the club ever done for us ? Apart from the new stand, the infills, the visit to the Millenium stadium ..............

Is it just me or has our local press contrived not to print Worthington''s infamous reply?

I haven''t seen anything in the Pink ''Un, The EDP or the EEN, or have I missed it?

If they haven''t quoted him then it would smack of the old malaise of not "criticising" the Club when some truly objective repoprting seems to be called for.

It''s tomorrow''s sports splash so don''t think they''d appreciate me putting it up early but it will be on both this site and edp24 tomorrow morning.

Absolutely, MadDan.

In fact in an earlier post on this thread you will see that I thought that his reply wasn''t said with any particular venom, and certainly Chris Goreham didn''t seem particularly concerned by it.

However, as there is such a fuss over it, it does need to be reported in an objective manner.