Sign in to follow this  
BIC

Worthington - "I don't care what the fans think - I'm in charge"

Well everyone is moaning about all our substitutions today. What was wrong with them, McVeigh was good but people always say hux is not a striker so lisbie was left on. And why wouldnt anyone bring Doherty on with 5 mins left at 0-1?

I think thats a bit strange from worthy, perhaps it came out wrong. Still i see if hes annoyed, nobody will agree with me

I''m not that bothered to be honest if he said that. After all every fan will have a different opinion on line ups and formations and hardly any of us agree with each other! He has to be strong and believe in who he picks. And lets face it, most fans have a pop after the event, when things haven''t turned out as hoped. Had it gone right then no one would be whinging. So he can''t win.  

But there''s no disguising the point that we are looking very very average this season. Sell Ashton in January for £7M and Green for £2M and rebuild the entire squad and start again next season. We need a minor miracle this season the way things are going.

[quote]Discuss.[/quote]

Yeah I heard that. Probably not what the 25,000 fans that attended today wanted to hear (Or the fans that made tuesdays game the highest attended for that matter)

"But there''s no disguising the point that we are looking very very average this season. Sell Ashton in January for £7M and Green for £2M and rebuild the entire squad and start again next season. We need a minor miracle this season the way things are going"

Worthington has already rebuilt virtually the first team over the last season and a bit...and buggar all good it has done 

I think he''s right to think like that.
I suppose he has to be convinced that he knows more than the fans or we''re in real trouble.

I can''t say I much like the way it sounded though. Worthy''s dissed the fans once or twice in the past and I think it could be a mistake when more and more of us are getting frustrated by our mediocrity.

I think Worthington needs to issue an apology quickly.

The fans ARE the club, without them you have nothing.

A few days after we had a mid week turnout against a lower league team in the cup that most prem sides would dream of.

I wouldn`t dream of speaking for Delia but I am sure she would feel that what he said was totally out of order.

Worthy wants US THE FANS to get behind the team while at the same time saying " i don`t give a flying fudge what the fans think"

I heard that on canary call and I was shocked to say the least.

Can you imagine the CEO of McDonalds or any large company going on TV and saying he does not care what the customers think.

I haven''t heard it myself but if he''s said that then I think he''s really skating on thin ice. Those who have supported him and stuck up for him won''t bother because he''s just said he doesn''t care for your opinion.

[quote]Well everyone is moaning about all our substitutions today. What was wrong with them, McVeigh was good but people always say hux is not a striker so lisbie was left on. And why wouldnt anyone bring Do...[/quote]

NC - No Hucks shouldnt be used as a striker, so why not put mcveigh up front? It is his favoured position after all..

[quote]Yeah I heard that. Probably not what the 25,000 fans that attended today wanted to hear (Or the fans that made tuesdays game the highest attended for that matter)[/quote]

Although I will say that he is the one in charge, he should consider the fans views, but we arent in charge.

Lets be fair Chris Goreham put him on the back foot right from the start asking questions Waller wouldn''t ask like thats what happens when you don''t create chances for NW to quote I thought we created plenty of chances.

Lets see what the board does to a manager who critisces the fans and doesnt have a clue at what he is trying to do favourite Fleming back as a sub and also Henderson ahead of Marney.

I heard it very clearly and this is one of those situations where the fact is that Worthington is in charge and has every right to act on what he believes. However, having said that, it is extremely foolish for someone in his position to EXPRESS what he is thinking to further alienate fans. Nigel has indicated on numerous occasions that speaking to the media is certainly not his strong suit so, his choices are a) say nothing ( not a wise option ), b) allow someone else to handle the responsibility ( not his style and probably not what the fans want anyway ), c) go to school and learn how to become more interesting, articulate and diplomatic or d) continue to put his foot in his mouth. I suspect ( d ) is what we will continue to experience as long as Nigel is in charge.

Other questions put to him:

Q: Why do you think we couldn''t seem to get going  

A: In what way couldn''t we get going?

Q: Can we do anything to put things right in taking our chances.

A: No. ( ???????? ) Just keep working hard and believing in ourselves 

There is no doubt that the rebuff to fans and these other reactions are indicative of a man beginning to feel considerable pressure.

Just got back from the game. Haven''t heard this comment- but incredibly naive and short-sighted if he has said it. Lose the confidence of large sections of the support and lose your job- simple as that. Then you''re not in charge.

Poor decision to take off McVeigh, made worse by putting Hux out of position on the right, where he simply doesn''t look the same player. Odd also, given that Lisbie was struggling.

Whatever he may say after games, Worthington can''t argue with the basic fact that this squad is massively underachieving. 

Time for a change?   

Can somebody confirm where this was heard? because if it is true then i am very angry. We the fans are the club and without us there wouldn''t be a club, so worthy should never be coming out with something like that!

Worthington you make the dicisions you choose what team to put out each week, so when it doesn''t go right and we lose you take the flak that we supporters have the right to give you. 

Somebody said earlier that worthy is skating on thin ice, I couldn''t agree with you more!

Getting anything out of this season is starting to very quickly fade away! 

[quote]Can somebody confirm where this was heard? because if it is true then i am very angry. We the fans are the club and without us there wouldn''t be a club, so worthy should never be coming out with somet...[/quote]

It was in Chris Goreham''s post-match interview with Worthy.

Everyone knows I have defended Worthy on here, but when you start to pick a fight with the fans then you lose my support.

What He said was totally out of order and should issue an apology very quickly. He should also be given a slap across the wrist by the board of directors.

Considering that the Tactical subsituations had no effect on the underperforming team , I begin to wonder if you are indeed in charge.

Yeah, he said exactly that and in my opionion hes right to say so. Maybe he should put hes words someway different but at the end of the day he will pick the team. And what comes to Huckerby, yeah I as bemused why he wansnt in the starting eleven, got the answer in the after game interview, Hucks wasn''t fit enough to start the game. Let''s get behind the the team and start over again by beating Hull on tuesday. The gap is huge between us and Reading but we just got to start to play our own game and put the chances way. If Deano had converted the penalty it would be different story, sometimes it goes in sometimes don''t.

Norwich ''till I die!!

[quote]Can somebody confirm where this was heard? because if it is true then i am very angry. We the fans are the club and without us there wouldn''t be a club, so worthy should never be coming out with somet...[/quote]

Not only did he say it but he said it with anger.

I heard it live on Radio Norfolk in his post match interview with Chis Goreham

He had an oppotunity to apologize to the fans for the recent displays yet now he blames the fans because they have an opinion.

Sorry Mr Worthington that the people who loyally lay down hard earned money every week have an opinion.

I think he should issue an apology or resign (or be sacked)

The one thing I always admired about Delia and her husband is that they bring class to the club.

Last time I checked THEY are passionate fans of Norwich City, maybe Worthington doesn`t care what they think either.

This outburst smacks of desperation. He has the horses but doesn`t know how to ride them.

Sorry once you have lost the fans its time to go. 

More of the same from Worthington, a lost little boy fumbling in the dark, trying to find the light switch.

Tactically inept and nil confidence, a recipe for disaster which can only be remedied by the departure of the man in charge.

Please don''t leave it too late though Nigel, or we''ll be scrapping to avoid the third tier of English football.

Thanks for the good years. Every manager has a shelf life though, and yours ended last season.

This SHOULD (and I hope WILL) be probably the most important topic we will discuss during the Worthy reign. I heard the quote plainly and he was blunt and clearly angry with the question.

Make no mistake, this evening IS the beginning of the end of the Worthy reign. Once a manager openly says that kind of thing about the fans (his customers by the way), there is only one winner in that particular battle and that winner will NOT be Worthy.

Any manager of any business who shows open disregard for what the customers of that business are saying is on his way out of the door.

Worthy will be gone by Christmas.  

if thats how he feels about us maybe its time to truly tell him how we feel about him and show him on tuesday! if we lose, and i pray we dont then it will be time up for him! maybe we should tell him how we feel too by a demo if we lose?

So, you would rather have a manager that chose his team based on what sections of the crowd think would you?  The fans certainly don''t all agree.

Worthy is absolutely right to say what he did.  I for one am not "disgusted, appalled etc", even though I have spent 7 hours in the car today travelling to Norwich and back. 

Still, why waste an opportunity to have a whinge eh?  Just waiting for the first "it was Fleming''s fault post...."

[quote]if thats how he feels about us maybe its time to truly tell him how we feel about him and show him on tuesday! if we lose, and i pray we dont then it will be time up for him! maybe we should tell him ...[/quote]

Yeah, really supportive to your club!  Do us the world of good.

I heard the interview driving home from the game.

First and foremost, top marks to Chris Goreham for posing the tough questions !

I listened in astonishment at his reply, our car went silent. None had heard words so desparate from this man since he joined the club.

Technically he has a point, hes the man who knows whats happening behind the scenes etc etc and he makes the decisions/carries the can ... HOWEVER.... to come out with such a blunt reply in the manner he did smacks of a manager in desperation. Hes tried formation after formation, player after player and things are no longer working for him.

He has served our club well and lets not forget promotion, city hall, cardiff etc etc, however I think he has now taken this club as far as he can and its time for someone else with fresh ideas to come into the club and move us forward again...Tuesday could be a very interesting night with edge aplenty !!

i hope they play this clip regularly.. Several people would of course have heard it and on monday morning it will be a topic of debate at work for lots of us...

Tuesdays game is going to be very interesting, i wonder what reception worthy will get????? I hope he gets loads and loads of flack.... i think he is capable of snapping like a spolit brat and saying the worng thing completely... HE will oen his mouth and put his foot in it!

jas