Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

Busy Summer for Webber

I think the majority of us are in agreement that a serious clearout needs to happen over the summer, and this is how I personally see it:OOC - ReleaseRuddyBassongMulumbuBennettLaffertyTurnerWhittakerOOC - KeepRuddToffoloThompsonMcGrandlesContracted - Sell/Release where possibleMcGovernMartinTetteyDorransHoolahanJarvisNaismithAndreuThis would leave us with:GK RuddGK MatthewsGK JonesRB PintoRB NEW SIGNINGLB ToffoloLB NEW SIGNINGCB GodfreyCB KloseCB NEW SIGNINGCB NEW SIGNINGDM ThompsonDM NEW SIGNINGCM HowsonCM McGrandlesCM NEW SIGNINGCM NEW SIGNINGAM PritchardAM MaddisonLW WildschutLW Jo.MurphyRW Ja.MurphyRW NEW SIGNINGCF OliveiraCF JeromeCF MorrisCF NEW SIGNINGThe key problem here is that''s NINE players we''d need to bring in if all of the above were to happen, and as we only have a couple of players left in the squad we could sell that would command decent fees (Naismith and Dorrans the most obvious IMHO), then that''s asking for an awful lot of investment by the board - or some VERY shrewd signings from Webber with players on low transfer fees and big on potential/current ability.Not going to be an easy job whatever happens, but we HAVE to freshen things up and remove the staleness from the majority of the squad if we want to genuinely rebuild and start playing good football again IMHO.Thoughts?

Very little to disagree with there but I think Wes has another season in him.Rather more controversially - Andreu seems to have had a very successful season on loan, albeit in Scotland, so just maybe he does have something to offer after all?Also although you''ve sensibly tried to have cover everywhere that is still quite a big squad, I wouldn''t be unhappy if we started the season with two or three players less than that as long as the new signings were well judged.

My thoughts are ...

1) I don''t think that many departures will actually happen over one window.

2) we will be competing for promotion after 3 / 4 years at best.

In the main I agree. I do think we might struggle to sell a couple of the players listed though- mainly Jarvis- and I really can''t see Klose sticking around. I''d also keep Wes and maybe Dorrans as they are fine as squad players.

We''re going to need to invest heavily in the spine of the side- two centre halves at least, a defensive midfielder, a goalkeeper and a striker. Then we''ll need a left back and maybe a right back.

I''m reckoning a minimum of 7 signings. I think we''ll be looking at a couple of loan signings to fill in then the rest on permanent deals. It isn''t going to be cheap.

There''s no way we''re going to do anything like that in the summer. We''ll prioritise where we have to, rather than where we''d like to. Primarily, the defence.

I certainly wouldn''t be letting Dorrans go nor Hoolahan. I''d be reluctant to let Tettey go for the kind of fee we''d get (less than 1m, probably), although I wouldn''t see him as a regular starter.

Don''t quite get the love for Rudd, didn''t inspire confidence last season & hasn''t exactly wowed the Charlton fans. He is 26 & needs to move on. Similarly Toffolo has been in &out of Scunthorpe, is he a Champio ship player?

Think we will struggle to move some of those under contract & we may have to accept the return of the dreaded loans. Hopefully to much better effect than under Roeder

Indy no way is there going to be such a mass exodus as you''re wishing for. The out of contract players we can lose easily, plus I think Dijks/Klose/Ruddy will want to go but don''t see many more leaving or clubs queuing up to buy them tbh.

Still think we have the basis of a decent team with a mix of experience/youngsters coming through, just need a completely new back line,( other than Pinto) few hungry additions plus a coach who can motivate them and restore confidence

Indy I would have to say I pretty much agree with you.

This summer is critical and we need to build that new squad. Many of the players you highlight to leave have peaked and are sliding, many lack the drive to get us up as we have seen this and other seasons.

Yes it is hard to move players on but many such as tettey may make moves happen. We will see but I am happy to see many players move on.

I think pinto and klose are going to have suitors and wes could stay but is going to play less and less. Which is a shame. But we need a change across the board to bring new leaders and confidence to a new group.

Thompson isn''t out of contract.

Rudd isn''t good enough to be No.1. Let him go.

Mcgrandles isn''t A championship player. Let him go.

Klose will want out. Sell him !!!

I read somewhere that Pinto wants PL football. So he may go as well.

The majority of our signings/money is going to be tied up in the defence regeneration.

I think we''ll be left with Jones, Matthews, McGovern, Rudd, Toffolo, and Martin.

I’m not getting too bogged down with positions, these are taken from Wikipedia. I also have not included players that are not in the current first team squad, but may be candidates for the squad next season. It’s apparent that so much will hinge on the new regime to improve what we have and add to it. At the moment that seems like a big ask!

Position Name Decision

GK John Ruddy Keep: worth a gamble that he can recapture his form of old

GK Michael McGovern 50/50: he can do a job, but I wouldn’t feel confident with him as my No1 throughout the season. If the new regime can get the best out of him consistently, then he’d be a great asset. Otherwise, I’d be happy for him to go elsewhere, but would anyone want him?

GK Paul Jones Keep: well respected keeper and could certainly fill in if we were struck down with injuries in this position

GK Declan Rudd Keep: Only 26, so plenty of time for him to mature into a top keeper. I always think he looks a bit lightweight. Another season loan may help to make a decision on his future here.

GK Remi Matthews Keep: Good prospect. Another loan would be great experience for him.

DF Steven Whittaker Unload: He’s versatile, but hasn’t really been up to snuff for some time now.

DF Mitchell Djiks Keep: Unlikely, but we should do our best to convince him the future here is bright.

DF Russell Martin Keep: He’s a good captain and would give us continuity through the inevitable transition period. He must expect and respect that his playing time will be reduced though.

DF Seb Bassong Unload: A shadow of the player he once was for which the coaching staff and the man himself must shoulder the blame. He’s stagnated elsewhere in his career before being moved on. I think he was lucky that our lack of options at CB gave him another chance.

DF Timm Klose Keep: There’s a good player in there. It just needs coaching out of him.

DF Ryan Bennett Keep: Potentially there may be a good player in there. The caveat is that decimating the squad is unrealistic, so I think he should stay for now.

DF Ivo Pinto Keep: One of the few players whose attitude this season cannot be questioned. He’s a good attacking full back that can improve his defending.

DF Michael Turner Unload: I think he is only here because of a clause in his contract.

DF Harry Toffolo Keep: Will be a good option at LB and may have the appetite to make the position his own given a chance.

MF Graham Dorrans Keep: On his day he can make the midfield tick.

MF Jonny Howson Keep: Like others he needs to consistently maintain a high standard of performance, but he’s a cracking player and IMHO should be our Captain on the pitch.

MF Matt Jarvis Unload: Injury prone and unlikely to force his way ahead of the Murphy’s or Wildschut. Trouble is, who would want him?

MF Wes Hoolahan Keep: This is probably one of the most challenging aspects of any Norwich Head Coach/Manager: how to accommodate Wes Hoolahan. Under Lambert it was easy: play him every week at the top of a diamond. Now, it’s not so clear cut: Wes is unable to perform week in/week out, so the new guy in the hot seat will somehow have to know when to pick him and when to leave him out. So he needs some sort of clairvoyant ability to know whether Wes will have a great game or not. Good luck with that!

MF Yanic Wildschut Keep: A big price tag that he has not lived up to thus far. Unlikely to be wanted elsewhere too.

MF Tony Andreu Unload: He hasn’t made the breakthrough. There’s no doubt that he is a decent player, but I don’t think he will get ahead of Wes, Pritchard and Maddison.

MF Youssouf Mulumbu 50/50: I rate him, but he hasn’t made a midfield position his own. Can he flourish under a new regime?

MF Alex Pritchard Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

MF Alex Tettey 50/50: He hasn’t just stagnated this season. He has regressed. I had him pegged as a battler, but other than bookings he seems to have no fight in him which is worrying. Similar to Mulumbu, could the change in coaching staff help him?

MF James Maddison Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

MF Louis Thompson Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

MF Ben Godfrey Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

MF Ray Grant N/A: I honestly have no opinion of this guy.

FW Steven Naismith Unload: Alas, this is wishful thinking on my part. Naismith will be going nowhere. He cost a lot to buy. He costs a lot every week. He offers very little in return. He’s the albatross around our necks that Lafferty once was.

FW Nelson Oliveira Keep: Good player. Far better than I imagined he would be when we signed him.

FW Cameron Jerome Keep: He can hold his head high. He’s a good player for us.

FW Kyle Lafferty Unload: FINALLY!! We can release this guy. See Naismith for the new albatross.

FW Jacob Murphy Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

FW Josh Murphy Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

FW Carlton Morris Keep: All depends what system we play, but I’d be happy with him either as a backup option or for him to go out on loan again.

Can''t see the club selling/releasing 15 players. Even if it desirable to clear out a lot of the dead wood. Howson is one player I think we''ll struggle to keep hold of. I can also see offers coming in for Pritchard, Pinto and Klose.

I genuinely think whoever leaves let them go. I couldn''t care less, the taint of failure comes from every player on that pitch at the minute and I''m hoping it hasn''t put off the young, upcomers. I''m glad we haven''t been fielding those promising lads, can you imagine playing alongside Bennett, Naismith and Tettey playing the 90s minutes and that leaving you with a positive feeling?

We need to change 9-15 players, its a simple as that. There is no "can''t"

The apathy and comfort is embedded we need this level of change to give us a chance of pushing next season - if we dont hit double figure squad change then we will repeat this season of mediocrity.

[quote user="writeronthestorm"]I’m not getting too bogged down with positions, these are taken from Wikipedia. I also have not included players that are not in the current first team squad, but may be candidates for the squad next season. It’s apparent that so much will hinge on the new regime to improve what we have and add to it. At the moment that seems like a big ask!

Position Name Decision

GK John Ruddy Keep: worth a gamble that he can recapture his form of old

GK Michael McGovern 50/50: he can do a job, but I wouldn’t feel confident with him as my No1 throughout the season. If the new regime can get the best out of him consistently, then he’d be a great asset. Otherwise, I’d be happy for him to go elsewhere, but would anyone want him?

GK Paul Jones Keep: well respected keeper and could certainly fill in if we were struck down with injuries in this position

GK Declan Rudd Keep: Only 26, so plenty of time for him to mature into a top keeper. I always think he looks a bit lightweight. Another season loan may help to make a decision on his future here.

GK Remi Matthews Keep: Good prospect. Another loan would be great experience for him.

DF Steven Whittaker Unload: He’s versatile, but hasn’t really been up to snuff for some time now.

DF Mitchell Djiks Keep: Unlikely, but we should do our best to convince him the future here is bright.

DF Russell Martin Keep: He’s a good captain and would give us continuity through the inevitable transition period. He must expect and respect that his playing time will be reduced though.

DF Seb Bassong Unload: A shadow of the player he once was for which the coaching staff and the man himself must shoulder the blame. He’s stagnated elsewhere in his career before being moved on. I think he was lucky that our lack of options at CB gave him another chance.

DF Timm Klose Keep: There’s a good player in there. It just needs coaching out of him.

DF Ryan Bennett Keep: Potentially there may be a good player in there. The caveat is that decimating the squad is unrealistic, so I think he should stay for now.

DF Ivo Pinto Keep: One of the few players whose attitude this season cannot be questioned. He’s a good attacking full back that can improve his defending.

DF Michael Turner Unload: I think he is only here because of a clause in his contract.

DF Harry Toffolo Keep: Will be a good option at LB and may have the appetite to make the position his own given a chance.

MF Graham Dorrans Keep: On his day he can make the midfield tick.

MF Jonny Howson Keep: Like others he needs to consistently maintain a high standard of performance, but he’s a cracking player and IMHO should be our Captain on the pitch.

MF Matt Jarvis Unload: Injury prone and unlikely to force his way ahead of the Murphy’s or Wildschut. Trouble is, who would want him?

MF Wes Hoolahan Keep: This is probably one of the most challenging aspects of any Norwich Head Coach/Manager: how to accommodate Wes Hoolahan. Under Lambert it was easy: play him every week at the top of a diamond. Now, it’s not so clear cut: Wes is unable to perform week in/week out, so the new guy in the hot seat will somehow have to know when to pick him and when to leave him out. So he needs some sort of clairvoyant ability to know whether Wes will have a great game or not. Good luck with that!

MF Yanic Wildschut Keep: A big price tag that he has not lived up to thus far. Unlikely to be wanted elsewhere too.

MF Tony Andreu Unload: He hasn’t made the breakthrough. There’s no doubt that he is a decent player, but I don’t think he will get ahead of Wes, Pritchard and Maddison.

MF Youssouf Mulumbu 50/50: I rate him, but he hasn’t made a midfield position his own. Can he flourish under a new regime?

MF Alex Pritchard Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

MF Alex Tettey 50/50: He hasn’t just stagnated this season. He has regressed. I had him pegged as a battler, but other than bookings he seems to have no fight in him which is worrying. Similar to Mulumbu, could the change in coaching staff help him?

MF James Maddison Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

MF Louis Thompson Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

MF Ben Godfrey Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

MF Ray Grant N/A: I honestly have no opinion of this guy.

FW Steven Naismith Unload: Alas, this is wishful thinking on my part. Naismith will be going nowhere. He cost a lot to buy. He costs a lot every week. He offers very little in return. He’s the albatross around our necks that Lafferty once was.

FW Nelson Oliveira Keep: Good player. Far better than I imagined he would be when we signed him.

FW Cameron Jerome Keep: He can hold his head high. He’s a good player for us.

FW Kyle Lafferty Unload: FINALLY!! We can release this guy. See Naismith for the new albatross.

FW Jacob Murphy Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

FW Josh Murphy Keep: The future of the team. He needs game time and trust placed in him that he is a key man for us.

FW Carlton Morris Keep: All depends what system we play, but I’d be happy with him either as a backup option or for him to go out on loan again.[/quote]

If we keep that many, especially McGovern, Klose, Bennett, Martin etc, then we''ll get nowhere with rebuilding a new back 5

Would like to see a new GK, LB 2 xCBs, CDM coming into the starting 11, with a pacey option up front and better options in the centre as Tettey and Dorrans are barely good enough.

Realistically, for this to happen we would need at least 7-8 signing that I can''t see us being able to afford unless we go for inexperienced players and loans.

It''s going to be a long summer for the club, one that I do not expect will be successful.