Sign in to follow this  

I don’t think it will be me. I would expect the new sporting director, when he comes in, will have someone in mind,” said Irvine. “I couldn’t tell you when that would happen but it needs to happen sooner rather than later. I said right from the beginning I wouldn’t be using these games as a job application and I have been consistent. As soon as I heard it was going to be sporting director and head coach you immediately think that comes as a package.

“I would be very surprised if the incoming sporting director wouldn’t have already lined up someone to get the job. I fully understand that. All I have been told is I would be in charge until Reading. We’ll see after that. If it changes between now and then I respect the club’s decision.

“I didn’t come here to be the manager. I didn’t come here to be the caretaker manager. Caretakers should only have a limited time working with the team because players are talking about who is coming in, and the staff. It makes a difficult job even tougher. I think it would be better to resolve it quickly because whoever comes in has to assess the situation and then make decisions. There will be players out of contract or coming into option periods and someone needs to make a decision moving forward.”

WHY THE HELL IS HE HERE?

Why are we employing someone who clearly doesn''t have an interest in managing any part of the club?

Why are we paying him a salary to do a job he''s not interested in?

Why are we facilitating this?

He has tried nothing since he took charge, apparently because he was told not to.

He doesn''t want the job, and he doesn''t want to be here.

We have a caretaker manager who has no interest in managing the team.

Utterly shambolic.

Wasn''t his initial remit to take charge of 2 games. Clearly the season cant end quick enough as we desperately aim for a top half finish. If he was to resign before Saturday that would certainly make things interesting as hes not exactly steadying the ship..

If this is the worst team ever then do we want the new manager to be tarnished with it this season? I keep hearing stuff like "players playing for a new contract" but surely some have been told they are not getting a new contract? Do we really want them to play well so they get new contracts? I don''t know the answers BTW. It''s just disappointing to see the season pan out this way.

But there manager also needs to assess the squad before the summer.

Although technically that''s not true, because it''s Webbers job to sort this stuff out, the head coach will have to work with what he is given

Why was this sidekick given the job in the first place?

We have Darren Huckerby working at the club who has professed his liking for NCFC and Norwich it''self.

He may or may not make a good manager but he couldn''t do worse than the current clown.

Huckerby was inspirational whilst he was here as player.

my solution is to have ANYONE who is interested in having the job. Alex Neil was brought in temporarily and he wasn''t great, but at least he wanted to be here.

Something is wrong with the culture of a workplace when you have people in high up positions who aren''t arsed about results.

It''s also not MY JOB to figure out what is best for the club, im not on the board, if you''re argument is honestly ''then you should run the club'' i don''t. that''s not my position, i bet you also try and say ''well you can''t do any better so yo can''t say anything'' when someone criticizes a player. You do not have to be an expert in something to realise the culture is wrong from top to bottom.

I would rather have the carpet fitter in charge if he wanted to be there than have someone who was part of a regime which didn''t work, running our club who doesn''t want to be here.

"Alan Irvine urges Norwich City’s top brass to act quickly after 3-0 Championship mauling at Huddersfield."

Telling us what we should do now.

How much is this goon being paid?

Shambles to put it mildly.

Irvine has been quite open and honest about his position all along since AN was sacked. He is not interested in becoming manager, but he is open to remaining on the coaching staff if the new manager/head coach were to want him. He agreed to step in as acting-manager only because the board asked him to. He has been put in a difficult position by the delay over Webber, which has meant extending his time as stand-in manager. All the flak he is getting is uncalled for IMO.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Irvine has been quite open and honest about his position all along since AN was sacked. He is not interested in becoming manager, but he is open to remaining on the coaching staff if the new manager/head coach were to want him. He agreed to step in as acting-manager only because the board asked him to. He has been put in a difficult position by the delay over Webber, which has meant extending his time as stand-in manager. All the flak he is getting is uncalled for IMO.[/quote]

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Irvine has been quite open and honest about his position all along since AN was sacked. He is not interested in becoming manager, but he is open to remaining on the coaching staff if the new manager/head coach were to want him. He agreed to step in as acting-manager only because the board asked him to. He has been put in a difficult position by the delay over Webber, which has meant extending his time as stand-in manager. All the flak he is getting is uncalled for IMO.[/quote]

Oops!!

Remain as coach so he can coach defenders not to tackle, forwards how not to score and players how to continuously give the ball away it''s a unkind shambles

I feel sorry for him because he has made it very clear hes not the man for the job. I would however question the performances under him... we cant exactly do much worse.

Shame someone is in charge of our club who doesn''t want to be. You could name plenty who''d give it their absolute all.

Guy hasn''t got a clue. Gone for the safe option every game and followed in AN''s footsteps in terms of team selection and tactics. Needs to have first team matters taken out of his hands today.

I always find it bizarre sacking the manager and replacing with their number two or three.

We are in a situation where we are playing the exact same floored and ineffective tactics as Neil, but with a coach that doesn''t want the job. There hasn''t even been any movement towards giving some of the youngsters a go.

Seeing as there are no signs we are any closer to appointing a new manager. I''m almost of the opinion that we would have been better sticking with AN until the end of the season. I think we had a better chance of reaching the playoffs with him than Irvine.

Irvine has received a bit of a hospital pass ... he''s inherited a jaded group of players who gave up on promotion after Sheffield Wednesday and had severe limitations in this league before that.

Yes he should be throwing off Alex Neil''s threadbare coat and shaking things up a bit more (play Maddison, Middleton, Godrey) but ultimately what could even Pulis do with McGovern, Ruddy, Pinto, Whittaker, Bennett, Bassong, Martin, disinterested Klose and reckless Dijks???

Sadly, Irvine is mopping up the mess left behind by a criminally unexperienced previous manager without top division contacts in the game. Neil was an impact man ... nothing more. Once his bullish self confidence faded away there was little left but he was allowed two further transfer windows by a sentimental board. Irvine has inherited a disfunctional, characterless and disinterested squad of yesterdays men eyeing up their holidays on white sand.

I feel a bit for Irvine - he''s literally doing the club a favour at the moment.

For those who think the board should continue taking an exceptionally long time sorting the SD and Head Coach positions it''s interesting that Irvine completely disagrees.

[quote user="hogesar"]I feel a bit for Irvine - he''s literally doing the club a favour at the moment.

For those who think the board should continue taking an exceptionally long time sorting the SD and Head Coach positions it''s interesting that Irvine completely disagrees.[/quote]

In his interview he is almost asking the board what they want him to do.  He''s stuck with the plan of the season so far, which of course is failing, but what else is he to do?   Is it up to him to suddenly change everything?  Someone needs to tell him whether to start using the youngsters or not. Most of us would like that - but it is a big step and could backfire in the current situation.  I don''t envy him when the players let him - and Neil down all the time - and Hughton and Adams for that matter.  This is a long term problem - the old guard have to go imo.  I''m sorry, but Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Jerome, Howson and Tettey are a busted flush. Harsh on them maybe, but for all Howson''s class - he disappears and is totally inneffective at times. Jerome misses too many clearcut chances. Martin is not the player he was and Tettey looks out of sorts. Ruddy has too many heavy beatings on his cv, albeit at the top level. They are punch drunk and need a change. Irvine is just taking things game to game. The sooner a new man comes in the better - he plainly doesn''t have the desire - or feel he has the remit - to take anything on.

Have to agree with Herts Canary, never quite understand why clubs sack their managers and then put their assistants in charge who have been part of the decision making & failure.

Could have done no worse than ask Dmitri Halajko ( under 23''s coach ) & Hucks ( under 16''s coach) to look after the team until the end of the season or would that have been too much pressure for those guys?

Did you even watch the game last night Lakey?? Jerome a " busted flush"? He worked his a rse off last night but had nothing to work with. Howson is our best midfielder, ridiculous to say he should be sold.

I think Halajko has left and Richard Money''s been with the U23s Diane.

Not sure we should replace the manager/head coach before the new sporting director/CE is appointed.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Did you even watch the game last night Lakey?? Jerome a " busted flush"? He worked his a rse off last night but had nothing to work with. Howson is our best midfielder, ridiculous to say he should be sold.[/quote]

If the problem is endemic at the club, it means that the players who have been here all through those years need to find a fresh challenge.  I would include Bassong Turner and Whittaker in that too. Comletely fresh approach is required without any baggage from the past.  Jerome and Howson are two of our best players, agreed, but they have been at fault this season the same as the others. Jerome misses nailed on chances and Howson still disappears in difficult matches. 

True but we cannot replace every player this summer, and Jonny and Cameron are two of our best and should stay.

Jerome proved last time in the Champo that given the right service he can score plenty of goals in this division. He may not necessarily be first choice next season but his experience will be good to have around the squad.

As for Howson, in a competitive and united squad he''s one of the best midfielders in the division. Unfortunately his performances this season have been dictated by our poor form and lack of focus, he can''t be expected to run the whole midfield on his own. Would help if he had better players around him; Tettey is a spent force, Mulumbu is never fit and Dorrans was injured for a large chunk of the season. Must keep Howson.

A squad with the experience of Wes, Howson, some youth in the likes of Thompson and Pritchard etc with a few additions could make us a very good proposition next season.

Sorry to upset people but I agree with LDC as far as Jerome and Howson are concerned.

Jerome works his ar*e off every match and by his work creates chances for others as well as himself. But the sorry story is that he does not score enough goals for the chances he has. Let''s face it, if he could finish he certainly wouldn''t be playing for us because the rest of his game is very good. He would be at one of the top clubs.

But ...... it''s goals that win matches and he misses too many, some of them quite easy!

LDC is quite right about Howson as well. He has so much ability that he should be so much better.

He needs to take games by the scruff of the neck and control things. Only too often he just goes missing. He really is a wasted talent.

Perhaps the right motivation would work wonders with him?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I think Halajko has left and Richard Money''s been with the U23s Diane.

Not sure we should replace the manager/head coach before the new sporting director/CE is appointed.[/quote]
Silly me lol, forgot Halajko left a couple of months ago, well maybe Money/Hucks/Gary Holt could have done a job until the end of the season?
I agree we cant replace the manager/coach until a SD has been appointed,  just don''t get why assistants are always put in charge when a manager is sacked.

Not so silly because I wasn''t sure he''d left either. Just that I''d read that he was leaving for a job at a PL club. Maybe it''s a swap deal for Super Chris ☺