Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Respect to Russell Martin.

Dont get all this respect nonsense.they all earn fantastic salaries and should be able to do their job on the pitch, if they cant and he, along with a few others certainly cant, then i dont care how nice they are , get rid!lets sign some defenders that can defend first and foremost

Big Vince

Re your assertion that: "There are certain fundamentals in football that should never be tampered with:

1. The captain should always be your best player and thereby lead by example."

Rebuttal - I give you Mike Brearley, admittedly not football but it could be argued the captain plays a bigger part in cricket.

And I don''t recall Gascoigne ever being captain of England or Spurs?

[quote user="city4eva"]Dont get all this respect nonsense.they all earn fantastic salaries and should be able to do their job on the pitch, if they cant and he, along with a few others certainly cant, then i dont care how nice they are , get rid!lets sign some defenders that can defend first and foremost[/quote]

Absolutely, so what if he''s a nice guy? So are lots of people. As soon as we got promoted at Wembley he should have been dropped to bench and only seen in desperate times. Sticking with this guy has had a lot to with out demise.

[quote user="Ray"]Big Vince

Re your assertion that: "There are certain fundamentals in football that should never be tampered with:

Rebuttal - I give you Mike Brearley, admittedly not football but it could be argued the captain plays a bigger part in cricket.

And I don''t recall Gascoigne ever being captain of England or Spurs?[/quote]

George Best as captain?? Streuth.

[quote user="Ray"]Big Vince

And I don''t recall Gascoigne ever being captain of England or Spurs?[/quote]

If you want to talk cricket, then the Australians always choose their best players as captain: Bradman, Benaud, the Chappell brothers, Border, Steve Waugh, Ponting, Clarke, etc.

Mike Brearley was not actually worth his place in the test side so I would discount that one. The TCCB selectors had their own agenda that defied logic at times - like dropping King Geoffrey after he scored a double hundred in India!!

Big Vince,

That Brearley wasn''t worth his place in the side as a player makes my point, he was worth his place on his captaincy/leadership and had a formidable record as a captain. Played 31 and lost only 4 and of course took over from Botham, arguably our best player, when he failed and led us to the famous 1981 victory.

You said that the best player should always be captain and this shouldn''t be tampered with, I gave an example where it could be and work out fine.

It could be argued that Gordon Banks was our best player when he was playing, but he was never captain to the best of my knowledge, accepting of course there was some serious competition back then. Oh how I wish for a national team so full of talent now!