Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Coco The Clown McGovern.

Can anybody tell me the merits of him between the sticks over John Ruddy ? Caught at his near post for the second, the third went under his body.Monica Lewinsky went down quicker under Bill Clinton''s desk.Not even worth questioning his indecision to come out when Bennett was beaten for pace with the first goal.

Now I know Ruddy hasn''t been the same since that injury but no one can honestly believe McGovern is better than Ruddy.

Mark Bunn & Lee Camp are better than McGovern.

Yes I totally agree with that about Paul Jones. Looked decent couple of times for u23s and is definitely worth his chance now.

I''d be happy with Ruddy and Rudd as our keepers next season, Jones as back-up. McGovern has sadly done little to suggest he''s worth his place.

Be very surprised if Rudd & Ruddy are still at the club come august.

Personally think it''s time to go out and get a new one.

Not McGovern he''s 5hit.

I''ve said it pretty much all season and sometimes against what the majority on here have thought but McGovern isn''t in the same league as Ruddy, even when John''s out of form.

Surely their respective careers paths to date tell you all you need to know.

Not sure if Ruddy being better than McGovern is like Bennett becoming the club''s best defender sitting on the bench. Didn''t we concede from something like 8 consecutive shots on target last time big John was in goal. He certainly is nothing like the player he was. I have little confidence in either of them.

We''ve paid the price for not bringing in some serious competition for Ruddy.

Wednesday certainly had only 5 shots on target, all of which went in.

I know someone I''d have back between the sticks - Rob Green, has been playing pretty well for Leeds, made some good stops for them last night at Brentford.

The problem for us this close season is that you could make a good case for a nearly completely new back line (all bar Pinto; Dijks will surely be elsewhere) and defensive m/f....bedding it all in would take time though

Not sure if McGovern was to blame for the goals.  1. The ball seemed to bounce off  Bennett''s knee and he just gave up running after it.   McGovern had no chance imo. 2. The attacker turned Martin inside out and caught everybody out. 3. The reason McGovern dived past the ball is that it took a tiny deflection on it''s way past Klose. Just unlucky. And he made some good stops too. May not be everyone''s cup of tea, but he''s not the worst goalkeeper.  Just a player in a team on it''s uppers.

Any decent keeper is getting a lot more on them than he did. Agree that Bennett was very much in the wrong for the first, but surely McGov could have closed down better or made the call.

Wow LDC, just wow. You wonder why you get the reaction you do...

Goal 1. McGovern comes, then stops, then stands still. If he had come for the ball he would have got the ball. Agree Bennett could have just cleared (as a Huddersfield player did)

Goal 2. He''s beaten easily at his near post

Goal 3. IT GOES THROUGH HIS ARMS FOR CHRIST SAKE!

You could possibly give him 50/50 blame for the first goal, and ok, the 2nd goal happens. But the 3rd goal was completely his fault

[quote user="lake district canary"]Not sure if McGovern was to blame for the goals.  1. The ball seemed to bounce off  Bennett''s knee and he just gave up running after it.   McGovern had no chance imo. 2. The attacker turned Martin inside out and caught everybody out. 3. The reason McGovern dived past the ball is that it took a tiny deflection on it''s way past Klose. Just unlucky. And he made some good stops too. May not be everyone''s cup of tea, but he''s not the worst goalkeeper.  Just a player in a team on it''s uppers.

[/quote]Lakey,I''m a fully paid up member of the goalkeeper''s union, but frankly the 2nd and 3rd goals MM should have done far better (not that it would have changed the result because we did''t score any way).That said, I''m don''t have any confidence that Ruddy would have done much better. Our goalkeeping options at the moment are as bad as I can ever remember in 30 odd years (and probably a lot more than that becasue I never saw Nethercott or Keelan play). Hopefully Rudd, Matthews or a summer signing will improve our options between the sticks.

I agree for the first one LDC, & he''d made some good stops before that - the one against Nahki Wells was excellent.

However, his confidence is paper thin, & has been since he conceded that 1st goal against Brighton.

You could tell by the way that, after the goal, he just booted the ball anywhere, often slicing it, & the 3rd goal was scored against a beaten man. He''d had it.

We need a bit of a miracle worker this summer.

I''ve long since held the opinion that McGovern was a very key factor in our winless run earlier in the season, and as such I''ve come a button''s click away from posting an absolute rant of an essay about him a number of times. I usually think better of it.

McGovern has never been up to scratch for us. His slighter presence is not made up for by any particular athleticism and, while being brilliant at saving shots within his body area, never gets to any ball you don''t expect him to. He''s also spectacularly weak at getting down to his corners, which teams at this level can and have exploited against us this year.

The only reason I can possibly fathom for Irvine persisting with him since he took over is that JR is known to be seeking employment elsewhere this summer, and McGovern knows this is as high a step as he will ever take as a limited keeper, so will be here come August.

Poor.

Easy to blame the goakeeper - and I''ll agree he doesn''t fill me with confidence either - but the way Bennett allows the ball to bounce off his knee and then just abdicates all responsibility by stopping running speaks volumes for the first goal, whether McGovern hesitates or not.  If Bennett had done his job, the goalie wouldn''t have been put in the position he was. The second goal was an easy one for the striker once the defence allowed him time and space to turn and shoot - so I don''t blame the goalie for that one.  The third one Klose flicks out a boot at the ball - and it looks to me as if it made slight contact with it, just enough to deflect it.  The whole defence looked a shambles for all three goals.  Goalkeepers are easy targets - McGovern is part of that defence so shoulders some of the blame, but to single him out is unfair imo.

Not far short of what happened on Saturday at Villa for their second goal with the first goal last night. Total lack of communication and Bennett should have put the ball in the stands. Fact remains McGovern is one of the worst keepers we''ve ever had at the club.

Sad to say, but Rudd is not the answer either. His run of games in the PL showed that.

Hindsight I know but if only we''d hung on to Fraser Forster...

Any keeper in front of our backline would be in a vulnerable position!

Totally true that he can pull off the miraculous when an awkward shot is fired at him (Hogan @ Villa) ... but he hasn''t got any other strings to his bow.

McGovern was woeful the second and third, although the defending left him horribly exposed.

The first there was an element of hesitancy from him, but it was bennetts to chase down, the ball was never one mcgovern was going to get to first.

Ruddy is literally and figuratively head and shoulders the better keeper - even when playing poorly. Bizarrely while he did concede from 8 or 9 consecutive shots on target they were not ones where you thought he should have done better.

Ruddy is by far our best keeper; quite why McGovern ever arrived here I have no idea. Rudd has been getting stick on Twitter for his ineptitude at Charlton - however Jones looks pretty decent.

I hope new SD & Coach will revitalise Ruddy, lose McGovern & Rudd, retain Jones & recruit another.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Oh - and I see the manager agrees.

[/quote]Does that mean that you are right or does it mean that the manager is as clueless as you?

Spot on ZLF.

Disagree Nutty, Bennett never became a good defender in my eyes but Ruddy always remained the better goalkeeper. I''m not saying he''s a solid reliable option but he''s considerably better than McGovern in almost every area of goalkeeping.

Playing local league football, I would go ballistic if two players did not take ownership of a ball like that. I would rather see both call it theirs and smash into each other than both leave it for each other.

We look afraid to show any sort of passion. I, for one, would love to see some tackles flying in for once. Say what you like about Naismith, at least he shows some desire. Looking forward to having Dijks back on Saturday - another one that shows some bollocks and doesn''t allow himself to be bullied.

We were the only Club stupid enough to give McGovern a contract when he had never had one anywhere else.Just another bad decision in a season of bad decisions.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="lake district canary"]Oh - and I see the manager agrees. [/quote]Does that mean that you are right or does it mean that the manager is as clueless as you?[/quote]

Maybe he is right and that my perspective is a bit more accurate than you are giving credit for.  No goalkeeper can play well when the defence is non-existent.  He isn''t the best, he may not be better than Ruddy - but then Ruddy has ben at fault this season too.   Bennett made a mistake, the ball bounced off his knee, then stopped chasing back with any determination leaving McGovern exposed.  The way the second goal occurred was really the fact that defenders just stood there while the Huddersfield player had time and space to turn - again leaving him exposed.  The third goal I''ve already stated that imo Klose got a touch on the ball which deflected it''s path slightly - difficult to tell as the ball was travelling so fast, but he definitely sticks a foot at it.  As soon as that happens, goalies have no time to adjust. Don''t turn this back at me again because I''m not saying he is a great goalkeeper or that he is absolved from blame for the team performance - they should all be ashamed, but the title of the thread and any scapegoating of McGovern is ott.  Goalkeepers are easy targets.  And I wager that Irvine knows more about football than you. [:|]