Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Brighton...

Hughton''s pedigree in the Championship isn''t in doubt.....a league win with Newcastle, a likely promotion with Brighton this season and 2 further playoff places with Brighton and Birmingham.

lets see what he does with Brighton next season, whether he will have the courage to go the attack or whether he will set his stall out to defend and keep it tight each game.

if its the latter the Brighton fans will soon find that the novelty will wear off next season.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Hughton''s pedigree in the Championship isn''t in doubt.....a league win with Newcastle, a likely promotion with Brighton this season and 2 further playoff places with Brighton and Birmingham.

lets see what he does with Brighton next season, whether he will have the courage to go the attack or whether he will set his stall out to defend and keep it tight each game.

if its the latter the Brighton fans will soon find that the novelty will wear off next season.[/quote]

I don''t think that will happen.  He has everything how he wants it at Brighton with three seasons there to build something solid.  With us he was thrown in the deep end without a paddle and expected to swim. Having to replace Lambert was a huge task - and in the PL too - with limited resources compared to other teams. He did well to keep us up the first season, the second season was  nightmare, but again, trying to build something solid under the pressure of the Pl is well nigh impossible. With Brighton he will do much better imo.

you could argue that he was "thrown in at the deep end" in his first season here and did a good job in keeping us up which was the only priority that season.

His reward for doing that was being given £26m to spend in the transfer market....comfortably more than any other manager has been given here, and squandered a lot of it on players unsuitable for the way he wanted to play i.e RVW.

....his second season here "should" have been more comfortable than the first, but some of the football played particularly away from home, as he lead us toward relegation was some of the worst I''ve known at Carrow Rd.

...I can certainly see Hughton adopting a "safety first" stance at Brighton next season should/when they go up

GJL - Neil was given far more than Hughton!

I actually tend to agree with LDC here. There is a big difference in building a team, getting promoted and stamping your own style on it than being dropped in with the remit of keeping a team up at all costs

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]GJL - Neil was given far more than Hughton!

I actually tend to agree with LDC here. There is a big difference in building a team, getting promoted and stamping your own style on it than being dropped in with the remit of keeping a team up at all costs[/quote]

...I meant -at the time.... and thinking about it, it was still more than Neil was given in one season?